PDA

View Full Version : Graco Nautilus still the best choice here?

gatorsmom
06-27-2008, 02:24 AM
My DH asked me to ask the experts here which carseat to get. I have a 32lb, 3yo and a 39lb, 5yo who will need second carseats for my DH's new car. I was hoping to get something that could turn into a booster since they currently have MAs in my minivan. Jools, I think at one point you recommended the Graco Nautilus.

Is this still a good choice? There are always new seats coming to the market so I thought maybe I should check to see if something "bigger and better" is out there.

Joolsplus2
06-27-2008, 08:38 AM
The Frontier is it's only main contender now... I think the main thing to consider if it's worth the extra $100ish bucks is the fit of the child in the seat...the Nautilus is definitely more compact in the shoulders and crotch area, while the Frontier is roomy and spacious and even fits smallish women comfortably (a bunch of moms have HAD to try it out, rofl, they like it!) (well, the Frontier also has better side impact protection, better LATCH connectors, the energy absorbing rip-stitch tether for neck and chest protection, HUGS for protection from the harness, a full 9 year lifespan, is taller than the Nautilus, has flip up armrests that make it easy to climb into, puzzles perfectly when harnessed next to a Marathon... not that the Nautilus is bad, but you know those extra bits and pieces Britax puts into it's production add up). For a spare seat, I'd probably be happy with the Nautilus, though, and it's probably easier to install, actually :)

(Ok, total flip floppy answer, take it any way you like it... ;))

gatorsmom
06-27-2008, 03:50 PM
(Ok, total flip floppy answer, take it any way you like it... ;))

Thank you for that flippy floppy answer. I liked it. :) I actually think the Frontier would be best in the long run because the 7 month old twins would then be able to use the seats. Hmm, I have to think this through... the twins might be able to use the Graco Nautilus' too. If the Nautilus has a 7 year life span, and the twins use their Safeseats for another year, I'd still have 6 years left on the Nautilus' to use. hmmm...

I guess I'm going to have to think this through a bit...

Joolsplus2
06-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Yeah, 6 years on the Nautilus with the back, 9 years as a backless. Frontier is 9 for the whole thing, and the tallest booster available (and I'm sure the GN is fine backless, but you could just get a good backless for $12 at Kmart, so if you go with the FR, it's no big deal to get a backless later if you need it...)

:)

chays
06-29-2008, 10:49 AM
puzzles perfectly when harnessed next to a Marathon...

Jools,

Any chance between 2MAs that a FN could replace a RN or is it still pretty wide?

Joolsplus2
06-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Ooh, it's still pretty wide.....hmmm...I'd have to see if it can install in the middle (haven't even tried that, too lazy to move my RA, but now the RA's moved..and I'm curious, too! I'll see what I can do...)

mom2aidan
06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I think that's the lowest price I've seen it so I ended up getting one for DH's car.