PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about Banff, Alberta, Canada?

mama2g03
06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
And Calgary? DH was awarded a trip through work so we will be going in July. Banff looks gorgeous! I don't know anything about it, though. We are staying in a hotel for four nights in Banff and then are considering driving back to Calgary to spend two nights. Anything we absolutely need to see? We are bringing DS who is four and DD who is 20 mo. Thanks!

elliput
06-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Banff is gorgeous! I haven't been there since I was I kid so I can't really comment on accomodations or sights.

Oops! I almost forgot the mention the Calgary Zoo! I have been there 3 times. Once on the same trip as when I went to Banff, once in high school and once when I was 25. It is very nice.

nrp
06-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Banff is beautiful. We were there two years ago and stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs. There are lots of tours and hiking trails, and even if you aren't staying at the Fairmont, you should take a drive around their golf course, as you can see lots of wildlife at dusk. Also, there are lots of other beautiful places within Banff Natl. Park within an hour or two driving distance of the town of Banff - Lake Louise, Lake Moraine, the Columbia Icefield. We didn't spend any time in Calgary, so I can't comment.

mama2g03
06-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Banff is beautiful. We were there two years ago and stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs. There are lots of tours and hiking trails, and even if you aren't staying at the Fairmont, you should take a drive around their golf course, as you can see lots of wildlife at dusk. Also, there are lots of other beautiful places within Banff Natl. Park within an hour or two driving distance of the town of Banff - Lake Louise, Lake Moraine, the Columbia Icefield. We didn't spend any time in Calgary, so I can't comment.

We are also staying at the Fairmont Banff Springs. We're only staying the first four nights and then have to find another place. That's why I thought maybe head back to Calgary or closer so we won't have to drive far to the airport. How did you like the Fairmont?

Neatfreak
06-30-2008, 01:50 AM
I lived in Calgary for about five, and some of the things that we really enjoyed doing as a family were going to the Calgary Zoo, Heritage Park (a historical village with vintage amusement park rides), and the Glenbow Museum. There is also an amusement park that you'll pass on the highway out to Banff, called Calaway Park. It was really cool when I was nine years old - I never went as an adult or with my kid!

I have never stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs, but it's truly lovely and breath-taking. The Sunday bunch is overwhelmingly large! The townsite is fun, and there is an interesting contrast between the outdoor adventure-type shops and the ones selling luxery watches. Banff is a popular tourist destination for Asians.

If you drive back to Calgary from Banff, there is great little place in Canmore to stop for lunch - The Crazyweed Kitchen.

nrp
06-30-2008, 11:10 AM
The Fairmont is amazing. We were upgraded to a small suite (I'm not sure why - it is certainly worth asking for an upgrade when you check in) and the room was lovely. There is a lot going on at the hotel, restaurants, shopping, etc. We ate at the main dining room once, which was very good, and ate at the bavarian restaurant for fondue. That was fun, and I imagine kids would like it, but it is a pretty small, quiet restaurant so you might want to scope it out first. Other meals were in the town, which has many more casual restaurants.

mama2g03
06-30-2008, 11:24 AM
I lived in Calgary for about five, and some of the things that we really enjoyed doing as a family were going to the Calgary Zoo, Heritage Park (a historical village with vintage amusement park rides), and the Glenbow Museum. There is also an amusement park that you'll pass on the highway out to Banff, called Calaway Park. It was really cool when I was nine years old - I never went as an adult or with my kid!

I have never stayed at the Fairmont Banff Springs, but it's truly lovely and breath-taking. The Sunday bunch is overwhelmingly large! The townsite is fun, and there is an interesting contrast between the outdoor adventure-type shops and the ones selling luxery watches. Banff is a popular tourist destination for Asians.

If you drive back to Calgary from Banff, there is great little place in Canmore to stop for lunch - The Crazyweed Kitchen.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely check these out! I have a feeling we will wish we had more time so we could see more.

mama2g03
06-30-2008, 11:28 AM
The Fairmont is amazing. We were upgraded to a small suite (I'm not sure why - it is certainly worth asking for an upgrade when you check in) and the room was lovely. There is a lot going on at the hotel, restaurants, shopping, etc. We ate at the main dining room once, which was very good, and ate at the bavarian restaurant for fondue. That was fun, and I imagine kids would like it, but it is a pretty small, quiet restaurant so you might want to scope it out first. Other meals were in the town, which has many more casual restaurants.

A small suite would be great with two little ones coming along. I have a feeling they are pretty booked though, so I won't get my hopes up. It can't hurt to ask. Thanks for the info on the restaurants. I'm very excited about this trip!

trinity991
10-08-2008, 09:39 PM
We went to Banff 3 years ago. It is so beautiful there! Magpie and Stump is a great restaurant there.
Calgary has great shopping. Well, it was great to me since I'm from a place that only has about 200,000 people and we don't have a Gymboree here, lol.
I've heard the zoo is amazing, we didn't get there though.
In Banff, we mainly just walked around. We didn't go anywhere else, like Lake Louise etc. Make sure you go to the falls though, that was amazing! We stayed at the Delta. It was nice, not nearly as nice as the Fairmont though!