PDA

View Full Version : IKEA cribs availablity

andronache30
06-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Does anyone know what is going on with their cribs and if or when they will get more cribs. After many phone calls to their customer service center, I have not been able to find an iota of info. I read in some places that they discontinued the Gulliver crib, but the Customer Service people deny this allegation. In any case, the two stores in my area (Chicago) have no cribs in their stores and have no idea when they will get some. Has someone encountered this problem? I hear wonderful things about their cribs, but have not yet seen a real crib. Since they are so cheap, I definitely would not buy a used IKea crib on craigslist, so that's not an option. Any thoughts are much appreaciated.

foodiezen
06-27-2008, 04:44 PM
I just went to the Ikea store in N. California...they said they have sold out on the Levsik crib and will not be avilable for months. No additonal info obtained. Thought it was weird till I saw your post! Didn't ask about the other cribs. They had the other cribs on the show room but not the Levsik..which was there just about one month ago.

natness
06-27-2008, 09:17 PM
I am also looking for the Gulliver crib in Chicago. When I called the Schaumburg store she told me they had no expected ship date but that they had not been discontinued. She checked the Bollingbrook store and they were due there the end of next week. She suggested calling again next Thursday. I may be letting the MIL buy us an expensive crib this weekend because of this, instead of the expensive other stuff I really want. Argh.

andronache30
06-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Yes, the stores in Schaumburg and Bollingbrook keep saying that they will get the cribs. I wrote an email to their Customer Service site and here is what the response was:

Thank you for your interest in IKEA. We appreciate that you have
taken the time to write to us.

Unfortunately, due to supplier issues the Gulliver crib is out of
stock at this time. Currently, we do not have any information on when
it is expected to be re-stocked. For up-to-date stock availability
information, you may contact the store directly at 847-969-9700.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Thank you for selecting IKEA, we do appreciate your business

C99
06-29-2008, 09:40 PM
When is your baby due? How much time do you have before s/he arrives? IKEA's catalog changes over in June/July, so they are right at the tail end of their catalog year now. In my experience with IKEA, they do go out of stock on some things and you just need to keep checking back and/or calling the store.

septmama2b
06-30-2008, 05:57 PM
I had decided on the Leksvik collection from Ikea. My issue is that the closest store is 4 hours away, and the closer I get to my due date the less attractive that drive gets. I contacted customer service on their website, and was told that it would be in stock in the next few weeks, but they could not give me a specific date, and that the changing table was being discontinued. I decided to go with something else rather than wait.

cestkaren
06-30-2008, 11:06 PM
I just returned a Gulliver crib to IKEA tonight. When we took it out of the box to assemble, it had a broken slat (the slats that support the mattress). We opened an additional 3 cribs at IKEA and all were broken in the same spot. My guess is that this is the issue with the manufacturer. I don't know why IKEA hasn't pulled them from the shelves of all of their stores. I'm seven weeks from my due date and not sure what to do. I'm waiting for a response from IKEA of when a new supply will be available.

Stinkeyes
07-07-2008, 07:32 PM
We have had the same issues with the IKEAs in the DC area. We've already purchased the dresser and changing table accessory, right after the later was discontinued (an ominous sign). But, after weeks of having a person in the self-service department inform us that the distribution center was primed to receive the crib "next week", we were told by a salesperson in the children's area that no cribs would probably be forthcoming until September. With the risks involved, that's likely too long for us to wait. However, we managed to find someone a the store who would send an e-mail to their distribution center and about in order to find out what is going. Hopefully, I'll have an answer within a few days.

srhs
07-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Just curious if you read the blog:
http://baby411.typepad.com/babybargains/2008/07/ikea-crib-safety-issue-mattress-gap-with-leksvik-crib.html

That's my crib if you have any questions for me. We did the 3-hour drive to Bolingbrook. I guess I didn't notice this on the floor model. I was definitely bummed about what I perceive as a safety issue. IKEA suggests bumpers, but we aren't using them because of the SIDS Foundation recommendations. We are keeping/using the crib, but DS is currently sleeping nights in PNP in our room. And I wouldn't buy it if I had to do over.

laclabra
07-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I went to Ikea (Brooklyn NY) to buy a crib a few days ago (Gulliver or Hermelin model). I had checked first on their website, which said that these items were "In Stock" at that store. I would have preferred to order them online, but they are apparently available only for purchase in stores.

One $14 cab ride later, I found that these models are in fact not in stock. All but one model (which I didn't like) are out of stock, for that matter. And you can't order one, you supposedly have to just come back in two weeks and try your luck. I complained to the manager, but that didn't even get me a swedish meatball...

I've since been told by several people that you should never trust the Ikea website when it says something is in stock. If that is the case, though, why do they even have that feature on their website?! Their customer service is kind of lame, but you get what you pay for I suppose.

Mrsh
07-10-2008, 05:49 PM
We just ordered a stroller with a bassinet that I guess our little one will sleep in. I'm due in 10 weeks and sincerely hope the cribs are in by then...

Mrsh
07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
If you google Gulliver crib out of stock ikea -- apparently the same thing happened right about the same time last year. They must be bringing in a new lineup.

Mrsh
07-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Here's what Ikea wrote back to me today:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We do apologize for any
inconvenience that you may have experienced.

Unfortunately, we are having a supplier problem with all of our
cribs. The GULLIVER is not being discontinued and we can only
recommend checking back in another 4 to 6 weeks for any delivery
updates that we may have at that time.

If you should have any additional questions, please let us know. We
will be more than happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Marie
IKEA Customer Care Center

AlisonJ
07-12-2008, 11:05 AM
IKEA's "new year" starts the first day of July. That's when they introduce new products and change the lines. (I'm currently remodeling my kitchen with IKEA cabinets so I've been talking with alot of IKEA employees) Maybe that is why there has been such trouble? Also, I;m sure the high rating from Baby BArgains really increased the demand. I hope you all get your cribs soon! I got an IKEA crib for my son who was born in March of 2007 and it has been terrific!

ku9296
07-18-2008, 01:36 PM
I live in Boston so the closest IKEA store is in Stoughton, MA. I've been checking the crib inventory for the last 3 months (once every 3 days or so) and everytime it told me there was no stock. I started to worry in July because our baby is due in late August!

On July 9 the web indicated that there was indeed a stock so I was hoping to buy one later that weekend--only to see on the web a couple of days later (7/11) that it was no longer available! I immediately called the Stoughton store and they told me they got a shipment of 20 cribs on July 8 but there was only 3 more left and that I'd have to come in that evening if I really wanted it (the next shipment date was unknown).

So my husband and I rushed out to Stoughton right after work and we managed to snatch the very last crib! I am very glad I gave them a call when I saw the status change on the web.

If you are tight on schedule, I'd urge you to call the nearby store rather frequently (rather than just checking on the web) to get the latest info.

Mrsh
07-23-2008, 10:22 PM
By chance I checked the Ikea website and it said that the Gulliver was in -- i went over and got the last one. Strangely, Ikea's website hasn't updated with the info -- it says it's still in stock.