PDA

View Full Version : Marathon RF Tether

belovedgandp
06-27-2008, 04:27 PM
I've just given up my SafeSeat for my 12 month old and moved to a Marathon. SafeSeat still fits great, but we were no longer moving the seat with the baby, so it's now stationary in DH's car and the Marathon is in my van. I LOVED that seat; older DS outgrew his Snugride at 4 months which was a pain.

I've never had the RF tether option before. I'm fascinated but confused. The question comes down to whether or not it adds that much safety for home much of an inconvenience I think it will be in my van.

Marathon is RF in captains chair of 2007 Odyssey pushed to the middle/behind passenger. I need the aisle to the third row for older kids to get back as well as 4 year old who can buckle himself in Radian that's back there sometimes.

4 1/2 year old son is in Radian behind the driver. He's over 40 pounds, so the Radian is installed with the seatbelt. I want to keep the latch installed seat where it is to make it easier for third row access.

Problem comes in that if I tether it the strap impedes 4 year olds ability to crawl under the seat to get out the passenger side sliding door. Pre-school has a drop off lane, so he needs to go out that door.

Opinions/insight on safety I'm losing/gaining versus inconvenience/pre-schooler whining when climbing out? Thanks for your help.

Joolsplus2
06-27-2008, 04:31 PM
I think in the center of the van like that, the RF seat bouncing backwards and sideways and all around isn't so bad, because it won't be hitting the window or door as it would if it were outboard... I probably would err on the side of convenience and leave it untethered :)

HIU8
06-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I have a 2006 Odyssey. We had DD in a SafeSeat behind the driver and DS in a MA pushed toward the center behind the passenger. When DS was RF (we only turned him FF a few months ago), we had his seat tethered to the track of the front passenger seat. DS would often get in on the driver side and climb to his own seat (under the tether) it was never really a problem. Personally, I feel that the top tether gave me a much more solid install. Without it the seat was simply to upright for DS (he really preferred to be more reclined). HTH

belovedgandp
06-28-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks. I had the tether around the bar under the passenger seat for a trial yesterday, but took it off today.

The seat moves when you push on the top of the back, but nothing more than the safeseat or any other RF install I've had. The tether did make it more reclined which was actually a bad thing for DS2 in the seat. He wants to see more and the increased recline pushes the passenger seat up a couple notches. DH is the primary passenger and is all legs.

DS1 could fit under it, but it made it a little tighter. Of course he's also 4 1/2 and has to tug on or touch everything he passes anyway.

Thanks for the help. It's been a week now and I'm almost used to the seat. I kept reading everyone who raves about it, but there's a learning curve required for any new seat. I was battling twisted straps and trouble tightening the harness, but I think I've got it down now.

Tanya
06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I have DD2 in a RF Marathon on the driver's side (2003 Odyssey) 2nd row captain chair and DD1 in a FF Marathon on the passenger side. Since we get into the van on the driver's side especially when it is parked in the garage, DD1 just crawls under the tether. She does tend to hold onto it and hang from it a little, but I figure it's still better than nothing. She's just used to crawling under, so I have to remind her if we're out and about that she *can* use the passenger side door. It's just not a big deal to her.