PDA

View Full Version : Can an outdoor toy ever be moved indoors?

MNmomtobe
06-28-2008, 11:13 PM
More specifically, a climber or playhouse? We live in MN where the winters are very long. I can't imagine getting our climber or playhouse clean enough (those plastic pieces inevitably get water in them) to move inside. Can it be done? Is it not recommended?

MamaMolly
06-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I think if you use a scrub brush and a good soap you can get it sanitary, if not lovely. As for the water in the pieces, I've heard one solution is to drill holes in the bottom so that the water drains out. I'd be more concerned about having a safe landing spot in case of falls, but I think one of those nice foam mats would be a good cushion.
HTH

caleymama
06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
We moved our Step 2 Kangaroo Climber inside the first winter we had it (when older DD was 1) and it was a big hit. We were in upstate NY at the time and it was nice to have during that long, cold winter (though not quite MN!). She was not big enough to do any major climbing yet (and the piece itself isn't that big/high) so she pretty much used the slide and then used the main part as a little play area. After that winter it moved back outside and then to my parent's house when we got a regular swingset.

MNmomtobe
07-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I think if you use a scrub brush and a good soap you can get it sanitary, if not lovely. As for the water in the pieces, I've heard one solution is to drill holes in the bottom so that the water drains out. I'd be more concerned about having a safe landing spot in case of falls, but I think one of those nice foam mats would be a good cushion.
HTH

Yes I was concerned about the falling thing too with the climber. I may just bring in the playhouse. It is very large though so may have to take it apart to move it inside the house. Thanks for your reply.

MNmomtobe
07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
We moved our Step 2 Kangaroo Climber inside the first winter we had it (when older DD was 1) and it was a big hit. We were in upstate NY at the time and it was nice to have during that long, cold winter (though not quite MN!). She was not big enough to do any major climbing yet (and the piece itself isn't that big/high) so she pretty much used the slide and then used the main part as a little play area. After that winter it moved back outside and then to my parent's house when we got a regular swingset.

That is a good idea to move the climber to the grandparent's house.
I think if we leave the playhouse outside, we may just cover it with a tarp. I am a bit concerned about the plastic getting brittle and cracking under the extreme subzero temps we have here!