PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Efficiency?

JMS
06-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Is anyone considering trading in a perfectly good car for a more fuel efficient model/make?

ETA: I put this in "bitching" because I just filled my tank :(

MamaMolly
06-29-2008, 11:18 PM
All the time. We have a Volvo that takes premium which we use as our primary car and it is really killing us to have to fill it up at $4.50/gallon. We combine trips and luckily can walk to a lot of stuff.

C99
06-29-2008, 11:31 PM
I would like to (more so I can park better than gas mileage), but DH says no. He wants the minivan. Fortunately, we only have one car and can use public or bipedal transportation much of the time as well.

ThreeofUs
06-30-2008, 05:47 AM
All the time. But we don't think there are going to be good choices (that is, affordable 50+ mpg) for a couple of years, so we're in "wait and don't drive more than we have to" mode.

bethie_73
06-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Smart car makes a Diesel version in Europe that does 71 mpg, etc. I don't see why we can not get these types of efficiency here in the US. It is a 2 seater, but they should be able to make a FIT/VERSA type car with the same technology. I'm not doing anything right now as our Jeep is paid off and I fill it every 3-4 weeks. But I think it is crazy that the technology exists but they do not use it!!!

pb&j
06-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Smart car makes a Diesel version in Europe that does 71 mpg, etc. I don't see why we can not get these types of efficiency here in the US. It is a 2 seater, but they should be able to make a FIT/VERSA type car with the same technology. I'm not doing anything right now as our Jeep is paid off and I fill it every 3-4 weeks. But I think it is crazy that the technology exists but they do not use it!!!
VW has some diesels in Europe (Golf, Tiguan) not available here that get great mileage. And there's even a concept diesel-hybrid Golf that is rumored to go on sale in Europe next year - 70mpg. But not here. :(

If/when the diesel-hybrid Golf becomes available in the US, I am SO getting one!

Can't justify trading in my car right now on a Prius - I get high 20's for mileage. I wish I could work from home more often - it costs me $5 just to go to work each day!

Melanie
07-02-2008, 02:54 AM
Yes, I did. I traded in a very nice and nearly-new paid for SUV for a hybrid last year. I'm thrilled and even more so now that the crunch is on even tighter and I probably wouldn't even be able to get one, now!

LD92599
07-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Traded in my SUV for an Accord. My gas is lasting soooo much longer! Plus we got a really good trade in on the SUV and a really good price on the Accord :bighand:

pantrygirl
07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Traded in for a Prius. DH considers it the second gift we can give our DD. We calculated 48mpg two weeks ago. It's like a game now when we fill the tank. "Honey guess how many mpg?" :)

ShanaMama
07-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Traded in for a Prius. DH considers it the second gift we can give our DD. We calculated 48mpg two weeks ago. It's like a game now when we fill the tank. "Honey guess how many mpg?" :)

Wow! I am feeling the pain. My minivan tells me it averages 19 mpg but when I do my own calculation I get between 16-18. This is mostly highway driving, BTW.
DH is giving his pickup truck to his assistant & getting a Camry. At least we can get decent mileage on one car.