PDA

View Full Version : Where to tether in a '99 Grand Caravan? Is this OK?

JoMama
06-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Hi, I haven't been on here in a while (I'm usually kingdink, but I can't seem to log-in). I'm looking for some help in tethering my 2 Marathons in our '99 Grand Caravan. We have 2 bench seats and have the MAs in the middle bench, one rfing and the other ffing. The only way I have to tether them right now is to the tracks that the seats are on. There are little metal beams going across the tracks and if I wrap the connector strap around them I can connect the ffing seat behind the seat and I can pull the rfing seat's tether underneath the bench and use the strap to connect in the same way. Is this ok? The tracks are connected to the frame of the car, I'm guessing. We've had the van for a few months and I can't think of anywhere else to tether unless I take it in and have anchors put in, but I don't think that would help with the rfing seat anyway. Any tips or other suggestions? TIA!

jo

Joolsplus2
06-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Well, you can NOT (like, with a capital N), top tether a forward facing seat to an unapproved tether point. And I'm pretty sure your van doesn't have actual top tether anchors. (Unless the manual shows pictures of where they are, and they are fairly clearly marked with a little 'anchor' picture or carseat leading to an anchor picture).
For the RF seat, you want to tie the tether connector strap toward the front of the car, like on the seat track of the seat in front of it. Britax really insists it performs best when done as the manual pictures (basically down and forward, not back towards the same seat it's on or under).

Does that help? (Leah's toasting her own waffle, I'm a little distracted, lol)

JoMama
06-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks, Julie...

So does that mean I need to take it into a dealership to have anchors put in then? We don't have a manual, so I have no idea of how that would work, but I could probably find the info online. Would they be able to do it, do you know anything about that time period of Grand Caravans? Where would they be able to put the anchor? Would I have to move the carseat to a different spot in the car?

There is nowhere under the front seat to tether the RFing seat, at least no place I can find. I'll have to go look again, but if I can't find a spot, is there a weight limit I can use the seat RFing safely without the tether? I thought there was an issue with the MA rebounding into the seat at a certain weight untethered, but I don't completely remember.

I hate driving around knowing my kids aren't as protected as they could/should be. I really should get this all figured otu ASAP. Thanks for your help!

bubbaray
07-01-2008, 12:39 PM
You can definitely get a TT anchor installed. Julie should have the part number, when not dealing with burning waffles. If she d/n, call Chrysler Canada, they'll have the part number for you.

HTH

kingdink
07-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the help! (Finally got logged on under my normal name, sorry for the confusion. :) ) I found the bulletin 23-008-00 Rev.B and it has the part numbers on it. Hopefully they won't give me a hard time about having it installed, actually think I want two put in so I won't have to do it again in the near future. Now I just have to find a dealership! lol

Joolsplus2
07-01-2008, 03:24 PM
LOL! Glad to see 'who' you are again! Good luck, I've heard varying stories about those vans and ease of install and price, I really hope you get it done super cheap and/or free! (of course the waffles aren't burning now, but 27 pounds of sleeping 2 yo are on me now and that LATCH book might as well be a million miles away, there on the counter 10 feet away in the kitchen... :D)

kingdink
07-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Well, the bulletin says they are supposed to install for free and that DaimlerChrysler reimburses them. The only thing I'm concerned about is that on the list they are listed as Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager. No "Grand" listed. The parts are the same for both the regular and "Grand" on the latch (I think that's what it was called) sheet I found. Anyone know if this bulletin is "expired"? It's dated Nov 24, 2000, but I can't find anything more recent.