PDA

View Full Version : Is this a no go? Radian 80 FF on plane for 11 month old?

hillview
07-01-2008, 11:05 AM
We are going to Italy and will have a seat for DS #2 on the plane. I could take a Radian 80 for him but understand that it doesn't go RF on a plane. We have a rental car and will do some driving with DS for a week. DS #2 is 29 lbs. if it makes a difference. Other option is to take a Cosco Scenera which would go RF on a plane but is not as great a seat.

Thoughts?
/hillary

o_mom
07-01-2008, 11:10 AM
What airline are you flying? Many of the EU airlines do not allow seats at all.

If it is a US airline, then I'm not sure what to tell you - none of the options scream "I'm the one" to me :p

hillview
07-01-2008, 11:30 AM
American Airlines. I haven't gotten my Radian yet. I could get another seat instead ... DS #2 looks to be a big boy. I plan to get him a Frontier (I think) once he outgrows the Boulevard. I could lug the BV with me I guess (yuck). Sigh. Rambling here.
Thanks,
/hillary

bubbaray
07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Make sure its AA all the way and not a code share. IIRC, Alitalia d/n allow car seats, and I know Air France d/n.

Momof3Labs
07-01-2008, 01:12 PM
The Radian is really heavy and IME awfully hard to install on an airplane (we gave up on it and threw it in the overhead bin on Southwest - but we were traveling with a 5yo so it wasn't super important to use in flight). I'd bring the Scenera instead.

hillview
07-01-2008, 01:38 PM
It is AA all the way. Oh and FWIW we took the Radian 80 for DS #1 to Italy. We were on Alitalia for part of it and they let us use it (capt came back and said OK). It fit fine FF but stupid me I didn't try it RF. It was heavy but we had to go to England for a week and drive for 8 hrs 2 times so worth it. Ok one vote for the Scenera. thanks
/hillary

stillplayswithbarbies
07-01-2008, 08:05 PM
You can't use the Radian RF on a plane? Why not?

We love our Radian for flying. It's heavy, but no heavier than the Marathon and it has a shoulder strap so that makes it easier to carry (get an extra strap and carry it as a backpack). It's easy to install FF, just open the velcro slots so you can get your hand in the beltpath to slide the belt through. Bonus is that it sits low enough that you can use the tray table.

hillview
07-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Karen,
I agree it is pretty easy to install with the side slots. It has been on 7 flights with us FF and never had an issue. I have done some searches and it seems folks have a hard time getting the Radian to fit RF. Have you flown with it RF?
/hillary