PDA

View Full Version : How long did you use your playpen/pack n play?

anothermom
07-01-2008, 12:07 PM
DC is 9 months, and we're really not using our pack n play so much anymore. I'm thinking about packing it up, but I'm wondering if there's some reason to keep it around? How long did you use yours, and how did you use it?

citymama
07-01-2008, 01:15 PM
My DD is 2 and we still use our PnP when we travel. I would say it works for travel until then.

Wife_and_mommy
07-01-2008, 01:35 PM
My DS is 29 months and we still use ours almost daily.

It's great for a different place to put DC if you need to do something. Mine had playtime in there for up to an hour daily until about 18-24 months. He knows he can climb out now so I only use it when I'm supervising.

mmsmom
07-01-2008, 01:48 PM
We still use ours daily. It is set up in the family room & I use it for downstairs diaper changes (still have the changing table part attached) and as a safe place to put DS (19 months) if I need to run to the basement, upstairs, etc. to get something. He likes to jump around in there & can't climb out yet. We also use it for travel & think that will continue for a while.

I'm assuming your DC isn't walking yet at 9 months. You will probably want it around when he starts walking unless you have somewhere else to safely contain him/her.

mominmarch
07-01-2008, 02:31 PM
My DD is 15 months and we really never use it. We took it apart when she started crawling because she hated being contained in it, and I will admit to just changing her diaper on the floor or the couch with a towel under her (space was an issue for us). But we are not a good model if you are planning to travel... as our daughter would not sleep in the pack n play when we brought it out to use this past weekend for a trip. She hates it! So if I were to do it all over again, I would get her used to napping in it still once or twice a week so she wouldn't have such a hard time adjusting to not being in her crib.

MNmomtobe
07-01-2008, 03:09 PM
We only use our PNP when we travel but it is invaluable to us during those times! DD is 2 yo.
I found when she was able to stand she was very unhappy in the PNP so I got a Playzone with 2 extensions to keep her contained in the house with more room for her to play.

hillview
07-01-2008, 03:10 PM
We used it for DS #1 til he was walking as a play pen when needed. We used it for sleeping when traveling til DS #1 was 2. We kept it for other kids who might come visit (family). We are using it now for DS #2 for play pen and for travel.
HTH
/hillary

g-mama
07-04-2008, 06:39 PM
What about when you travel? That's really the only time we use ours but when we do, we couldn't live without it. Where would your dc sleep? Ours slept in a pack and play while traveling until they were sleeping in beds at home, around age 2.5

August Mom
07-05-2008, 09:21 AM
We used out daily as a downstairs changing table until DS was too big for it. I plan to do the same w/ DD. I never really used it as a place to contain a DC during the day. Also, it's great for travel until you aren't worried about a DC falling out of a regular bed/wandering around a hotel room or unfamiliar home.

DrSally
07-06-2008, 11:30 PM
DS still uses it for travel.

ETA: I used it until DS was about 2ish for him to play in while I took a shower.

MontrealMum
07-07-2008, 09:36 AM
We use ours for travel (sleeping) or visits to Granny's which is not babyproofed. I stopped using it as a "playpen" for containment when DS was about 7/8 mos. old and more interested in crawling. He refused to stay in it and screamed at the top of his lungs which was not conducive to working - which was why I'd put him in it in the first place. Although we've packed it up for storage, we won't be getting rid of it for a few years since we plan to use it until he's 2 or so for the previously mentioned purposes.

mamaoftwins
07-07-2008, 03:44 PM
We actually just packed our graco pnp up last night! Had it in the living room so I had a place to put the boys while I'm in the kitchen. They're now 8mo and it's getting a little tough for both of them in there b/c DS1 is all over the place (DS2 prefers to sit and play in one place and was getting upset when DS1 was crawling all over him). We have another one in their playroom (an arm's reach cosleeper), so that one will probably get put away soon as well.

We're keeping ours for trips so the boys have somewhere to sleep, and if/when we decide to have another baby.

CiderLogan
07-07-2008, 10:52 PM
I put my 25-mo-old DD in it a few times a week when I'm showering and need her to be contained (I often have her shower with me, but sometimes that's not practical...and she's not near ready to be left alone during that time). We have had it in our master bathroom since we stopped using it for naps and diaper changes downstairs (at roughly your stage). Otherwise we use it for travel.