PDA

View Full Version : Need booster advice ASAP for 5 year old

deenass
07-01-2008, 12:45 PM
DH is in the hospital after having emergency surgery last night and will be there for some time.

The camp diretor who lives across the street from us has graciously offered to take my 5 year old to and from camp to free me up a bit - but I need to get a booster for her car.

I KNOW he is safer in a harnessed seat (he's in a Martathon in my car and a Radian in DH) - I don't want to have to install / uninstall either seat every day so I want to get a booster that she can remove easily - the trip to camp is 7 minutes on quiet / local streets and I figure G-d realizes I have my hands full these days - don't need another problem to deal with!

I will also use the booster in my mom's car next year.

He's 5, weighs 46 lbs and is 43 inches tall - what's my best bet?

TIA!!!

bubbaray
07-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about your DH.

Can you find a Britax Parkway? They are being discontinued, but still around in many stores in the US apparently.

The Graco Nautilus and Britax Frontier are harnessed and turn into boosters after the harness, but they install (via LATCH or belts). Could you get one of those and leave the seat installed??

If leaving the seat installed isn't an option, I'd go for the Parkway if I could find it, then maybe a Compass (folds) or in a pinch a Graco TurboBooster (high back) -- they are everywhere, easy to find, but trickier to use properly.

Hugs to you and your family at this difficult time. How nice for the camp director to help you out!!

firsttimemommy
07-01-2008, 01:19 PM
It sounds like you need it fast - if so then probably the Graco Turbo booster is your quickest and best choice.

If you can wait for a seat, then I would also look for a parkway or check this Fisher Price out:

http://www.albeebaby.com/fisher-price-safe-voyage-booster-car-seat-tan-tech.html

It was recommended to me by another BBB'er. It comes apart like the Graco, so maybe it would be useful for travel also in the future. The compass is also nice too (and it folds), but more $$$. The parkway does not come apart (FWIW)

I hope your DH gets well fast :)