PDA

View Full Version : Would you take your BJCSD on a trip?

HIU8
07-01-2008, 02:25 PM
We are going to FL in August-just to visit family. My mother suggested I bring the BJCSD so I can take the kids on walks while she does a few things in the mornings. I love the idea of being able to take fitness walks in the morning while away. However, I'm not sure about gate checking a big double stroller and how I will get through the airport with a double stroller, 2 carseats, 2 kids, 3 carryon bags. Originally I was just going to take my P3 and not have a stroller for DS (he is 3.5). WWYD?

WatchingThemGrow
07-01-2008, 07:02 PM
We took our BJCED to FL in March, and we used it outside every day, everywhere. There are lots of great water/garden areas near my mom's house so we made use of it. Our biggest (DD) was only 22 mos. at the time, though so containment was mandatory.

We used a BJ Q series double bag to gate check it, but I had the DC while DH popped the wheels off and bagged it. For us, taking that stroller MADE the trip. The canopies saved them whereas the Twin Triumph I was considering would not have done the job at all. YMMV though, due to the age of your older one and the August heat. We put our carseats through as luggage. One didn't arrive, but they loaned us a new Scenera to get home. The seat was delivered a few hours later.

geochick
07-04-2008, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't dare gate check mine. It's so big and bulky...someone might not take good care with it at the gate. If I did take it, I'd check it as a bag in a stroller bag. For a long trip, it would be GREAT to have.

hillview
07-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I've taken the P&T Sport on flights but always checked in its bag with the luggage. I think that might be a better way to go. That said I've seen folks at the gate with BJCSDs gate checked so folks do it (I'd just worry about it).
/hillary

WatchingThemGrow
07-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm the one who gate-checked mine in a BJ bag. Why do y'all think checking something as luggage would be "gentler" if that's the right term? I would think having someone carry it down and back up the stairs would be better than all the conveyor belts and the people throwing them onto those belts. Maybe I don't want to know what happens...

Whatever the case, our vacations to FL wouldn't be the same without our most comfortable stroller.

geochick
07-04-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm the one who gate-checked mine in a BJ bag. Why do y'all think checking something as luggage would be "gentler" if that's the right term?

Personally, I don't ever gate check my stroller in a bag, so I'd worry about my BJCSD opening and flopping about at the gate check. When I go down the ramp to the plane, I rarely have extra hands for a stroller bag, let alone stuffing that beast into its bag. I am usually dealing with a 4yo and a 2yo. They each have backpacks, and inevitably I end up carrying one of their backpacks plus my carry on (plus the 2yo). Stopping to put my stroller in a bag at the end of the ramp is LOW on my list of priorities. I know plenty of people who do it, but it's not for me. I'd rather stuff it in a bag and check it with my luggage early in the process. Out of sight, out of mind. My 2 and 4yos can walk through the airport. It's all a matter of preference. If you always travel with another adult, I think the gate check stroller in a bag might be more doable. Everyone is different.

So, my floppy BJ stroller might get more damaged by gate checking it than if I were to check it with my bags. Yours will certainly do better in a bag. You probably have more patience with flying with kids than I do. Perhaps your kids are good on planes...mine are monsters...and they fly a lot. I always opt for the easy road when we fly.

WatchingThemGrow
07-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Personally, I don't ever gate check my stroller in a bag, so I'd worry about my BJCSD opening and flopping about at the gate check. When I go down the ramp to the plane, I rarely have extra hands for a stroller bag, let alone stuffing that beast into its bag. I am usually dealing with a 4yo and a 2yo. They each have backpacks, and inevitably I end up carrying one of their backpacks plus my carry on (plus the 2yo). Stopping to put my stroller in a bag at the end of the ramp is LOW on my list of priorities. I know plenty of people who do it, but it's not for me. I'd rather stuff it in a bag and check it with my luggage early in the process. Out of sight, out of mind. My 2 and 4yos can walk through the airport. It's all a matter of preference. If you always travel with another adult, I think the gate check stroller in a bag might be more doable. Everyone is different.

So, my floppy BJ stroller might get more damaged by gate checking it than if I were to check it with my bags. Yours will certainly do better in a bag. You probably have more patience with flying with kids than I do. Perhaps your kids are good on planes...mine are monsters...and they fly a lot. I always opt for the easy road when we fly.

Ok, understood. Yeah, if I flew alone w/2 kids often I'd be in line for a Twin Triumph. When we're going to FL for a week, DH is with me, he packs it up while we're waiting to board- before going down the jetway. It isn't hard, but it does take both hands.

I'm wondering if the OP can get help going to the plane. Do they allow anyone past security anymore- even for special circumstances?

bubbaray
07-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Nope, definitely not. Your siggy says your DD is still in the SS1 -- will she be in that on the plane and for your trip? If so, definitely take the P3 and pop her in the SS1 into the P3 (take her out when its xrayed, LOL). The BJCSD d/n take a SS1 IIRC. At least, mine doesn't.

Are you flying by yourself? If so, I would do the SS1 in the P3, your oldest on the toddler step. Take ONE carryon and make it a backpack. I like the LE diaper backpack which is discontinued. If you can't find one, the LLBean Super Original is pretty close to the LE one:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=super-deluxe-book-pack&categoryId=38084&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=5181&cat4=2952&shop_method=pp&feat=5181-tn&np=Y

Lots of compartments, side pockets for sippies, etc. Not quite as comfy as the LE one, but close.

CARES harness for your oldest for the plane. Gate check or luggage check your oldest's car seat or better yet, have Gramma pick up a Nautilus and have it waiting for you when you get there.

If your DD isn't going to be in her SS1 and you are using a convertible for her, I would sling/Ergo her through the airport, but her convertible in the P3 where the child normally goes, your backpack carryon on top of that, have your oldest ride on the toddler step, he uses a CARES harness.

ETA -- if you are flying solo, ONE carryon. I can't stress that enough. I was going to have DD#1 have her own carryon for her first flight and THANKFULLY, Lori/Momof3labs convinced me otherwise. Our limit now is 1 carryon per adult. My girls will be able to have their own carryons when they no longer need car seats on the plane. Its just far too much to keep track of.

HTH

WatchingThemGrow
07-05-2008, 07:55 AM
OP, will the P3 be enough stroller for the walks you plan on doing? The FL areas we walk through are waterside trails w/treeroots, parks w/St. Augustine grass, and sandy/shelly beaches. If you're going to be primarily on pavement, that's one thing. If you're going to be doing that kind of stuff, you can wear the baby and let the big one run (are 3.5 yr olds on voice command? mine is younger and not yet). Lots of places in FL have double jogger rentals. DH is such a gear snob, though, we'd be better off taking ours. We actually had the pleasure of going running once our DC were asleep at night. FL nights are awesome for running!