PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on Scenera install in old Camry

elektra
07-01-2008, 03:05 PM
I am off to buy a Scenera today to be used occasionally in DD's nanny's car.

The nanny's car is about a '93 Camry I'm guessing. No latch and the center seatbelt doesn't retract, and it's lap only.

And the side seatbelts didn't seem to lock as well (if at all) on the one time I tried to install DD's infant seat base in there.

So should I get a locking clip? (I have read about locking clips here and I don't completely get when you would need one exactly.)

I know I will be nervous when I see it not installed as tightly as our MA and BV are in our cars. Any additional tips?

Joolsplus2
07-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Since you found that the belts don't lock, yes, you'll need a locking clip (basically, lap/shoulderbelts in cars made prior to 1997 need them or lockoffs for a proper install). The lapbelt in the center would be perfect for a carseat install, no locking clip needed.
All seats (except Britax) come with locking clips either on the back of the seat shell or in a little bag with the manual, so you shouldn't have to buy one.
www.carseatsite.com has excellent instructional videos that may help you get familiar with installing with a locking clip :)

If the seat's still rearfacing, also buy a pool noodle or seat leveler to get it to the proper recline (Scenera almost always requires that)... and finally, it's an incredibly wobbly seat, it will be unlike your other seats completely... just get the recline angle comfortable (NOT all the way to that level line on the sticker they give you, that's for newborns only, more upright is fine), and ONLY get it tight at the seatbelt path...the head and back will bob up and down wildly, that's ok, as long as it's tight where the seatbelt goes through it.

Good luck!

elektra
07-01-2008, 03:30 PM
ONLY get it tight at the seatbelt path...the head and back will bob up and down wildly

Oh jeez!

I actually looked at that pic of your little one with the tipped over Scenera so I have some idea of what things would be like.
But doesn't everyone just love their Sceneras?
Wondering about trying to find a Roundabout on sale or something......