PDA

View Full Version : Another weight limit question

bubbaray
07-02-2008, 02:12 PM
DD#1 rides in RN65s in my van (LATCH) and DH's SUV (belts). Both are FFg and TT'd. She is on the top harness slot on both.

We are in Canada and have to use the SafeStop strap thingy (that was recalled) until 40lbs. Plus, my van is a Honda and LATCH is only "good" to 40lbs.

DD#1 has been hovering between 36-39lbs for a looooong time now. It seems to depend upon the day, meals, time of weighing, and alignment of the planets....

Do we wait until she's over 40lbs to switch the SafeStop strap out and reinstall the seat in my van via belts? And risk that for some time, she might be over 40lbs by a touch????? Or do we switch both now, when she is under 40lbs?????

Can I just say for the record, that SafeStrap thing is a PITA???? Who's dumb idea was that?!

Joolsplus2
07-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I know! Isn't it annoying! Although, the reasoning behind it is good, so I will tolerate it (if I ever use that seat ff, lol).
I'd use it till she's a solid 40 pounds... it was originally tested to 48 pounds, but they had to lower it to 40 for some reason (I *suspect* it's the very few carmakers that say there's a 40lb limit on their top anchors, SK doesn't want us to be in a bind using a product that must be used with a top tether, and then be blatantly using the top tether over the limit listed in the LATCH manual). Since your seat is top tethered and you won't be un tethering it, then it's feasibly fine to 48 pounds...so if your kiddo happens to hit 41 before you take it off, don't worry about it.
:)

bubbaray
07-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks! :)