PDA

View Full Version : Recline Bar on Britax Husky

dogmom
07-02-2008, 04:32 PM
So I got a Britax Regent for my daughter (2) and my son (5, but size of a 6-7 yo) has his old Husky. While looking at the manual for the Regent they say you MUST use the recline bar. I thought the recline bar was optional on the Husky and I went back and checked the manual (I've put it in and out so much I don't look at the manual much.) I guess you need the recline bar if you don't use latch. Since my son is 50 lbs I use the belt (short route) with the tether.

OK, I have NO idea where my recline bar is. (I may have thought it was the car seat attachment to one of my strollers at some point, because I never use that feature.) I'm going to keep looking, but I've noticed that I get the Husky in rock solid without the recline bar. (I got a Subaru Outback) I'm can probably order one from Britax, but I doubt it will get here in time to use it before my long distance car trip to see my family next week.

My feeling is my son is safer in a Britax Husky than his Graco booster seat that we use in DH car, even without the recline bar. I'm still a little unclear of the functioning of the recline bar. Thoughts?

schums
07-02-2008, 07:56 PM
You only need to use the recline bar on the Husky if the seat is NOT tethered (top tether, not latch) or if you are using the short belt path. If you use the long belt path and tether, you don't need the recline bar.

Depending on the DOM on the Regent, the recline bar may not be mandatory. I'm not sure what the "cut-off date" is (June 2007, maybe?), but maybe a tech will chime in with it. FWIW, DD's seat was mfg after the cut-off date, and I just reinstalled without the recline bar. She had NO leg room, and the seat was WAY to reclined for her. Got a rock solid install without it, so I'm not too worried.

murphydog77
07-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Right. For the Husky, you only need the recline bar if the tether isn't used. But, there's always the exception ;). When using a lap-only seat belt, you MUST use the recline bar and tether at all times. They always recommend using the recline bar, but specify using it with the lap-only belt. It got so confusing for me that I made myself a little note to follow:

lap/shoulder belt: use recline bar, tether over 50 lbs.
lap/shoulder belt short route: use recline bar, *must* use tether at all times
lap-only belt: *must* use recline bar, tether over 50 lbs.
LATCH: use recline bar, tether over 50 lbs.

The recline bar helps reduce head excursion.

dogmom
07-02-2008, 11:57 PM
So what I'm hearing is I need to figure out how to do the long route with the lap shoulder belt because I've always done the short route and I have no idea where the recline bar is. *sigh*

I'm a little worried if I can do the long route. I have a Subaru outback so the achor point for the shoulder belt is actually on the ceiling, not the seat, if I remember correctly. And the drawing looks like the belt actually goes over the back of the seat and the kids leans back on it? Is that right? That's what the picture looks like in the manual. I'm not sure it will lie flat or be comfortable that way.

I'm sort of unclear why that is safer or why I don't need the recline bar for that but I need it for the short route. This is confusing.

schums
07-03-2008, 10:17 AM
We use the long route for both our Husky and Regent. It does go over the top of the seat cover. Neither DC has ever complained about it to us. I don't even know if they've noticed. It rides right down the side of the seat to the seat bight (I think that's what the crack is called). It can be hard to do, but it gives you the tightest install EVER. Basically, I have to be kneeling on the seat and leaning towards the back of the car when I thread the seatbelt through the holes in the front of the Husky, and then lean a little to towards the female end when I buckle the seat belt.

GL and be prepared to sweat a bit!