PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hong Kong - brief report on a brief trip!

Neatfreak
07-03-2008, 05:50 AM
We visited Disneyland Hong Kong last weekend to mark the occasion of my DD's 4th birthday. Cost more than a party, but it was easier to plan :) I'm not sure if there have been other posts about this WD park, so I thought I'd leave a short report ...

The Potentially Negative

- No thrill rides, if that's what your family is into. Space Mountain was the best they have to offer, followed by Buzz LightYear's Astroblasters. But this meant that Space Mountain was the only ride my kid could not go on ..
- Park is small. I think I read there's only about 25 attractions, though we saw a few under construction.
- Show performances are offered in three different languages, so sometimes the spacing is a few hours b/w the English-language ones. The showtimes and languages are communicated well.
- I was a little surprised that the most Asian part of DL was the food (Western entrees and snacks are available, but there were also noodles, bbq pork, egg tarts, red bean popsicles, etc.). Never saw a cast member dressed as Mulan, nor any merchandise from that feature.
- The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ride was still a little scary, but less so than when we were at WDW in March 2007 :)

The Stuff We Really Liked About It:

- Park is small! My DD was pretty agreeable about walking everywhere, so we didn't even rent a stroller (which were decent-looking blue sport-looking strollers, btw). A family can honestly do everything in one day. And go on the tea cups and the other Fantasyland attractions many times over.
- No crowds! No waiting! I think the longest wait we had for a ride was ten minutes, for the Jungle Cruise.
- We didn't have to wait very long to meet characters, either. Out and about we saw Mickey, Minnie, Winnie the Pooh, Chip & Dale, Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Aurora, Cinderella, Snow White, Belle, Prince Charming, Daisy, Goofy, and Pluto. The human characters were ethnically correct, if anyone is curious. Why we didn't see Mulan, I haven't the foggiest idea ...
- We didn't need a reservation to attend a character breakfast, though we did have to get up early for the 7am seating!

It was a really good weekend. We had no language difficulties, and enjoyed the fireworks, the parade, etc. It's just a Disneyland with yummy egg tarts!

stefani
07-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Wow, that sounds wonderful! DS is almost 5, but I am still not sure about WDW or Disneyland :-) Disneyland Hong Kong sounds more manageable.

What 3 languages were used? Cantonese, Mandarin, and English?

Thanks for the review.