PDA

View Full Version : Winter Travel Stroller

mylegs
07-03-2008, 12:01 PM
We're planning a trip to Germany and the Czech Republic right after Christmas. DS will be 9 months then and no telling what he'll be doing (crawling? cruising? walking?). But, regardless, we'll be needing a stroller. We currently have a MacLaren Triumph which we really love. However, as it will be snowing and cold then (as opposed to hot and hotter now) I have some questions for those of you who travel and/or live in snowy climes:

1) Will the Triumph's wheels make it through snowy sidewalks or parks without too much trouble? Or should we go ahead and budget for a stroller with bigger wheels?

2) Assuming we'll be outside a lot, will a foot muff or stroller liner/muff keep DS warm enough or do we need some sort of giant stroller cover/insulator? (sorry, we live in Texas and it's never that cold for long)

bubbaray
07-03-2008, 12:39 PM
In a nutshell, no, the Triumph is not going to work in winter/snow/cobblestones. Germany and the Czech Republic both have many areas with cobblestones and you will NOT be happy with a Triumph in that situation. You'll want bigger wheels.

If you want to buy before you leave, I'd go with a P3 or a Zippy, or a C1 if you can find one (they have been discontinued in the US). I personally prefer the P3 as DH and I both kick the wheels of the Zippy, but either are great strollers.

You could also buy a stroller over there -- tons of cool strollers in Europe.

If it were me, I'd buy over there, but I'm a bit of a stroller nut, LOL.

As for the foot muff, yeah, you'll probably want one. There are lots of different options and, again, lots of cool ones in Europe.

ETA: Ideally for snow/winter, you have something with air tires that lock, like an MBUS or similar. But, I'm not sure I'd fly with an MBUS. Others have, though. If you are up for getting a bigger stroller, that would be your best bet. However, you have to remember that vehicles are a lot smaller over there too, so you might end up with space issues in a rental car if you are driving.