PDA

View Full Version : Lego questions...

blisstwins
07-03-2008, 07:38 PM
My children are 3.5 and I think they would like legos. We had megablocks and they never really got into them, but I think Legos are higher quality/will stay together, etc.

Would you buy duplos or the regular sized ones at this age? Thanks.

deannanb
07-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Duplos.

DS has just started playing with his duplos (we have a bunch from older brother).

He could spend hours playing with them -

I think the regular sized ones are still too small for him

egoldber
07-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Definitely Duplos. The Legos are very small, can be very hard to separate and it takes for freaking ever to actually build anything!

hillview
07-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Duplos. DS is 3 and is no where close to being able to deal with regular legos.
/hillary

caheinz
07-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Legos are 4+, and do have a LOT of small pieces.

There are some really fun Duplo sets. DS has most/all of the Thomas ones, and really likes playing with them. (He has his eye on the construction sets now.)

Another thing to consider is whether you're planning to have another little one. If so, then definitely stick with Duplos -- they'll be a lot safer!

hellokitty
07-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Another vote for duplo. My kids LOVE them. I got a set, I think it was called the, "town" set or something. I got it b/c it came with six wheeled units. My kids LOVE anything with wheels, so they make a lot of stuff out of it. I am thinking about maybe introducing regular legos this christmas, but may hold back, b/c I know my 3 yr old will get frustrated with them. For now the duplos have been totally worth it. I think the set I bought was approx $70. I wanted to make sure there were enough pieces, b/c I have two kids and we have playdates. It came with lego ppl too, but oddly enough my kids aren't into the ppl.

MMMommy
07-03-2008, 11:44 PM
We have Duplo and regular Lego sets, but my vote would be for Duplo. Duplo is just the right size for that age. Some of the regular Lego pieces are really, really small. Definite choking hazards in the regular Lego sets.

Canna
07-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Duplos are awesome. My 3.5 y.o. enjoys building with them and so do I! When kids come over for playgroup they are a huge hit with kids in a big range of ages - even older siblings up to age 8 or 9 seem to enjoy the duplos, even though they're targeted for younger kids. We have quite a few animals, train pieces, train tracks, cars, people, etc. so kids can build a city, zoo, etc.

kijip
07-07-2008, 08:53 PM
T is five and he is just now getting able to use Legos. We still don't have any at home, but he has fun with them at his godparent's house.