PDA

View Full Version : Grr... 4 yo having accidents after being PT almost a year

linsei
07-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I could really use some suggestions...

Ds1 is 4.25. He's been PT (day and night) for nearly a year. A couple weeks ago, he started wetting his pants at least one time a day and sometimes during the night. I'm wondering what to do... I feel like we are back to learning again. IMO, it seems he does not want to stop playing to go to the bathroom. It happens when he is playing alone and with friends, and even when he is playing right next to me!

I was considering calling the ped to check for a UTI. My mom said he told her his penis hurt last week, but he denied it for me. (Mom does have a tendency to put words in his head, but that is another issue.) Also, our insurance only pays for well visits now, so I would rather not have to pay the cost of the entire visit plus lab fees, if I don't have to of course. From what I have read, it is somewhat rare for kids to get a UTI.

My other thought is that it may be a delayed response to ds2's (5 mo) birth? If this were the case, I would have anticipated it to start sooner that this. On a side note, his behavior has been terrible with me lately. (talking back, mostly) It's not so much of an issue with DH. That leads me to believe it could be an issue with me spending so much time with ds2. I do set aside time for him, but with nursing, I'm sure he doesn't get as much time with me as he *needs*, but realistically speaking, I really don't see how I could give him any more one on one time than he already gets.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with this. I've been nagging him about using the bathroom, and that obviously is not working. :( I'm so frustrated.

If you made it this far, Thanks!

citymama
07-07-2008, 02:21 AM
I don't have suggestions, but would like to hear what others have to say as we are in a similar boat! (Except ours is 27 months and has been PTed just 3 months.) She has had recurring UTI issues in the past; your post makes me wonder if the accidents could be related to that.

elephantmeg
07-07-2008, 05:58 AM
it is not rare for kids to have a uti, less common for little boys however.. no experience with pottytrained kids unfortunately. Keep an eye on his temp, if it goes up I'd explore the UTI...

egoldber
07-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Well, I hate to say it, but occasional accidents can be common for a long time. As in my almost 7 year old has them occasionally, especially in situations like you describe, when she's very busy and doesn't want to stop what she's doing, and then doesn't make it in time. She had a big spurt of them this spring (as in 5 in 7 days), but then it tapered off.

KrisM
07-07-2008, 07:04 AM
We haven't been through it, but a number of DS's friends did this as they turned 4. Pooping only in underwear, refusing to go to the potty, etc. It seems like it just passed after a couple of months. Not a lot of help, but maybe it's the age?

hbridge
07-07-2008, 07:22 AM
Okay, we've been through this... Go back to whatever technique you used in potty training and "start over" so to speak. It may take a little while, but he will get back in the groove. DC will go through phases of accidents if the routine is changed for an extended period. Usually a week of "refresher" helps tremendously. For us, it's sticker charts, but maybe you just need to go back to asking or taking him ever few hours...

Good luck and you will get through this.

linsei
07-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I went back to basics (sort-of). I made a sticker chart and have a reward in place for filling it up. So far, so good! I hope he continues keeping his pants/bed dry. Maybe he's just trying to get some new toys ;)