PDA

View Full Version : I am SO SO frustrated right now! Insurance related.

JTsMom
07-07-2008, 10:30 AM
DH's work decided to switch insurance on the July 1st. They made this announcement ONE WEEK ahead of time, and we had 3 days to make a deciscion on what type of coverage we wanted. We pay almost $1000/month for just our premiums, so that alone irks the poop out of me.

Our new coverage is supposedly in effect, but they can not give us any info- group #, policy #, etc. so it's basically useless. I had a Pap a little over a month ago, and it came back abnormal. I'm supposed to be getting a colpo, and I've now rescheduled it twice b/c of this. We could pay for it out of pocket and then get reimbursed, but I'm sure it would cost at LEAST a couple of thousand bucks, and we don't just have that lying around- nor should we have to!!! If I can't even get a policy number, how long do you think it would take for them to send me a check?!?!? We pay a lot for this service, and should be able to use it, you know? Hopefully the colpo won't show anything to worry about, but you never know, and it sucks having it hanging over my head all this time.

Plus, if you saw my post in the lounge about DS's speech/sensory issues, I'm dealing with all of that, and I can't even make the appointments for his evals until I have this info.

:banghead: :hopmad: :angry-smiley-005:

I hate being in situations like this where I have no power to fix it myself.

ShanaMama
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
That is really annoying. Does his work have an HR dept you can talk to? One week's notice is really slim. My company does the opposite- gives you tons of notice for any miniscule change.

buddyleebaby
07-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I would be extremely aggravated.
I hope it gets worked out TODAY.

JTsMom
07-07-2008, 11:04 AM
That is really annoying. Does his work have an HR dept you can talk to? One week's notice is really slim. My company does the opposite- gives you tons of notice for any miniscule change.

Yes, that's who he's been talking to, and they are giving him attitude about it! They told him, "Well, you should have expected it would take a couple of weeks to get it straightened out!" He said, "Then you should have started a couple of weeks ago!!"

I feel bad b/c I know he's in a bad spot- doesn't want to be the PITA at work, but he wants us to be able to get in ASAP.

ThreeofUs
07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
That's professional malpractice imho; they've effectively stopped your health insurance with 1 weeks' notice, which is against the law.

I'd be LIVID. Hope it gets worked out soon.

egoldber
07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I would have your DH talk to his boss and have him/her talk to a higher up in HR. That's the kind of action it takes to get things resolved with insurance IME. If he's not comfortable talking to his boss, I would seriously have him talk to a company ombudsman or a higher up in HR himself.

JTsMom
07-07-2008, 01:07 PM
DH did end up telling his boss right after I posted, so hopefully he'll have better luck. I don't think there is much of an HR dept- I think it's just 2 people.

My apt. is on Wed, and I have to give at least 24 hours notice to cancel, so I really hope they figure something out by the end of the day.