PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for 40 + pounds

julierobin
07-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I am wondering about my options for a stroller for over 40 pounds. My family is taking a trip in October and we will need a good stroller for a 5 year old. There is going to be much too much walking on this trip. I need something lightweight, too and prefer easy fold. I think Maclaren and Inglesina are up to 45 pounds, which should be fine for DS. Are there any others for up to (or more than) 45 pounds? Thanks for any advice.

cmmama
07-07-2008, 05:59 PM
i went through this search with my DS, the inglesina urbe, maclaren techno, zooper twist, and baby planet sport all have at least a 50lb limit (there are probably others too)

there's also the baby jogger city mini. It'd be my pick. Everyone I know who has one is nuts about it.. they love the push, love the fold, etc.... but the Urbes have been discontinued so are now on closeout, which makes them a bit less $$ than the others.

good luck!

Wife_and_mommy
07-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Macs have 55# wt. limits so I'd probably choose a Volo. If you need/want the recline feature a Triumph should do the job well.

bubbaray
07-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Another vote for the Volo

AngelaS
07-07-2008, 07:16 PM
I test drove both the Volo and Triumph w/my 40 and 42lb girls and picked the Triumph. The Volo bowed a little when they sat down in it.

TRU has a Wendy Bellisimo stroller that goes to 55 lbs too but our store did have it so I didn't get to compare it to the Maclarens. It looks a lot like them tho.

WatchingThemGrow
07-07-2008, 07:50 PM
I think someone said their 3-4 yr old was too tight in the Mini.

mecawa
07-07-2008, 08:48 PM
We have a Mac Triumph and my daughter is 4. We don't use it that often with her anymore but she still fits in to it.

JBaxter
07-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Nathan is 4 1/2 and our volo works great. Here are some onsale http://www.babye-store.com/maclaren2.html

luvmypeanut
07-07-2008, 09:36 PM
We loved the Buggster for my dd who is tall and heavy and wide. I got the Mini for my ds who is a tall string bean and use that now exclusively. DD only rides in strollers at Disneyland and says the Mini is very comfortable but she prefers the Buggster because it's pink. The Macs were too confining for her and can be harder to push a heavy child with small wheels.

Rainbows&Roses
07-07-2008, 10:58 PM
We loved the Buggster for my dd who is tall and heavy and wide. I got the Mini for my ds who is a tall string bean and use that now exclusively. DD only rides in strollers at Disneyland and says the Mini is very comfortable but she prefers the Buggster because it's pink. The Macs were too confining for her and can be harder to push a heavy child with small wheels.

Can you tell me how tall your DD is? I have been pretty heavily researching finding a stroller for my DD who is 44 inches and 39 lbs as we still use one occasionally and I will need one for Disney. The buggster and mini were on my list based on measurements I have seen, but I haven't been able to find them IRL to test her in one them. Otherwise it will be the Mac quest I think.

gatorsmom
07-07-2008, 11:01 PM
A Mountain Buggy Urban Single (MBUS) holds up to 100lbs. Folds easily too, although not that light (20lbs I think?). Maybe not quite what you are looking for.

strollerqueen
07-08-2008, 02:35 AM
Although it may seem counter-intuitive, bigger wheeled Macs are much easier to push with heavier children than the smaller wheeled ones. So you would basically be looking at a Ryder or Techno. The XLR has a really big seat. Great canopy too. I also like the Mutsy Spider for heavier children, but the canopy is small.

luvmypeanut
07-08-2008, 03:40 AM
Can you tell me how tall your DD is? I have been pretty heavily researching finding a stroller for my DD who is 44 inches and 39 lbs as we still use one occasionally and I will need one for Disney. The buggster and mini were on my list based on measurements I have seen, but I haven't been able to find them IRL to test her in one them. Otherwise it will be the Mac quest I think.
My DD is 47" and 55lbs and fits ok in both. She was about 44" and 44lbs when we used the Buggster a lot. I loved almost everything about the Buggster but the open/fold. It's a little fiddly and I learned to do it very quickly, but once we got the Mini I was hooked on the easy fold. I have a Quest at my brother's house and she was too big for it. She was too tall and big for it to be confortable for a long period of time. We're headed to Disneyland in a few weeks and I was going to get another Mini for her but she said she is fine with her PINK buggster.

ETA: The BJ 3-tiered canopy is the best. Since we're in Hawaii and travel a lot to sunny places, a canopy with good coverage is a must. I'm not a fan of the add-on sunshades. The zip-on bug/UV shield on the Buggster is pretty nice and we used it quite often. I hope they've fixed the brake problem with the Buggster. I had to send mine back twice and it's still not fixed.

Rainbows&Roses
08-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Well I tried out the mini on my 4 year old daughter today and am not happy! Why oh why could they have not bumped the canopy up a few inches. If you are going to make a stroller good to 50 lbs or whatever it is, why not make it a little taller????? The only way my 43-44 inch tall (with long legs) daughter does not hit the top of the canopy is when it is full extended. When it is fully recessed, her head is leaning back on the rims and she says it is uncomfortable. When it is partially extended, she still hits the top. The fold IS great and the seat seems roomy enough. And there is plenty of room for her feet unlike the macs.

We faced this same thing with the mutsy spider which I loved, loved, loved! But no one tells you the height limit on it is 42 inches (according to the mfr) and they mean it! She isn;t quite 40 lbs and still didn't seem very stable in the seat of that one though because it was not very deep and the stroller was high. It was so cool looking though!

We tried the quest and the volo again today, but they don't have a very high seatback and she seemed more squished in it this time than a month ago.

I don't know where to see a buggster locally and am not really wanting to spend that much $$$ on something we aren't going to use that much.

Very, very, very frustrating!

strollerqueen
08-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Yes, it is tougher to find a good one as they get heavier. The other thing to keep in mind is that the stated weight limit doesn't mean the stroller will still push well. You can only find that out through real life experience, yours or others. The BJCSS will work well for you. It weighs 24 pounds, but folds small. the Buggster will work, too, that weighs 17 pounds. And the Red Castle Whizz would work; it weighs 22 pounds. It's not that small though, about the same size as the Mountain Buggy Urban. Oh, and also the Mac Techno. You might be able to find these gently used on Strollerswap for way less than retail. You can post an "ISO" and you will be surprised at how many responses you will get. Most of us have multiple strollers, so we don't mind letting one go that someone is looking for! ;) Also check Ebay and CL. Lots of good deals both places.

hillview
08-06-2008, 08:15 AM
DS #1 is 40 lbs and 41 inches and the P&T Sport works fine. He naps in it when we travel for 1-2 hours.
/hillary

swissair81
08-06-2008, 10:08 PM
My older DD is 5 (40 lbs, 45 inches) & is currently sporting a leg cast up to her hip. I can't fold up her wheelchair to save my life, but she fits quite nicely into my mac techno. The canopy on the 2008 is awesome! I agree with strollerqueen about the bigger wheels, I could never push her in a quest.

egoldber
08-06-2008, 10:48 PM
My older DD (almost 7, 48 " and 50 lbs) still fits in my Mac Mistral from 2001. I can push her in it pretty easily, but I am realizing perhaps I am stronger than I thought LOL!!!! The Mistral was a pre-cursor to the Quest. If I had a choice though, I'd use something like a P3 or Zippy. I am also still using my 2001 Peg Venezia and she fits fine in that too if I remove the front bar.