PDA

View Full Version : Vote for BabyJones' First Birthday Gift!

elizabethkott
07-09-2008, 09:46 PM
There have been so many (ahem) WONDERFUL suggestions for BabyJones' first birthday present that I feel it is necessary to put it to a final vote.
Polls will close at 9am on Friday morning, because I have to go to Target or TRU to purchase the winning gift!
And once again, thank you for aiding and abetting in my mischief-making... somehow, it doesn't feel *quite* so guilt-laden with accomplices.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Enjoy your voting!

Wife_and_mommy
07-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Were you trying to post a poll??

elizabethkott
07-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Yes... I got distracted by wine. :D
Here it is!

Wife_and_mommy
07-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Yes... I got distracted by wine. :D
Here it is!

That's more like it. ;)

Clarity
07-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Hmm..not to be a downer, but those lucky ducks and the grill are recommended for ages 3 and up. They may legitimately want to return them for something more age appropriate and they'd thus lose their effectiveness as an annoying toy!
(Oh, but definitely buy the gift from Target...they have the WORST return policy!)

edited

cleo27
07-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Whatever the wonderful gift ends up being, make sure it does *not* include a gift slip and preferably is only available at Target! ;)

deannanb
07-09-2008, 10:15 PM
Hmm..not to be a downer, but those lucky ducks and the grill are recommended for ages 3 and up. They may legitimately want to return them for something more age appropriate and they'd thus lose their effectiveness as an annoying toy!
(Oh, but definitely buy the gift from Target...they have the WORST return policy!)

edited

and don't include a gift receipt!

kristenk
07-09-2008, 10:20 PM
I really think you need to go with a gift that's suitable for a 1yo, so the time and effort you spent in selecting the perfect gift shines through. Mrs. Jones might not pay attention to age recommendations, but I think that you probably do. It would also make the gift seem more sincere AND Baby Jones would be better able to operate the toy on his own making it even more unbearable and more difficult to take away.

MamaMolly
07-09-2008, 10:20 PM
I was going to vote for Lucky Ducks but then voted for the cookie jar because of the age thing. And I agree that you have to OOPS! loose the receipt.

BWAHAHAHAHAH!

:30:

kristenk
07-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Your links aren't working for me.

I'm voting for the ball popper b/c DD truly LOVED playing with that thing (at someone else's house!) so it's a win for you and a win for Baby Jones.:)

WatchingThemGrow
07-09-2008, 10:22 PM
I can't see the ball popper!

tylersmama
07-09-2008, 10:28 PM
I had to vote for the ball popper. MIL got that for DS for his first xmas when he was 7 mo. He was TERRIFIED of it for several months, then fell in love with it down the line. It is SO annoying...annoying songs, annoying that the balls go flying all over the house, annoying that they DON'T pop out half the time, annoying that the opening is the EXACT right size for a toddler arm to stick itself into...etc.etc.etc. :icon_twisted:

mom2binsd
07-09-2008, 10:35 PM
DS has the ball popper and we love it, I don't find it too loud and he can play on his own with it for ages....the other option would be some very loud musical instruments!!!!!!!!!!!

randomkid
07-09-2008, 10:37 PM
I can't see the ball popper!

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Playskool-Busy-Ball-Popper/dp/B00007G39I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1215657189&sr=1-1

This one gets my vote. It is age appropriate and when I first saw it IRL, I thought it was noisy and irritating.

Good Luck on your decision - hope it is successfully annoying

KpbS
07-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I happened to be in Target the other night browsing (how rare!!!) and saw that lucky ducks game---on the clearance aisle! I had never heard of it before but now I will definitely chuckle if I see those maniacal ducks again ;)

lizajane
07-09-2008, 10:57 PM
the ball popper and the puppy were SO close in competition... i just wasn't sure! but i went with the ball popper because he is likely to love it and thus make you the favorite "auntie." and the fact that it has "pieces" (the balls) that are SO fun to chase all over the house... ;)

Emmas Mom
07-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I say the loudest most obnoxious one without a gift receipt. :jammin:

bubbaray
07-09-2008, 11:04 PM
I say the loudest most obnoxious one without a gift receipt. :jammin:

Oohhh, good point. Must purchase said toy from store with a "no receipt, no return" policy.... LOL.

LarsMal
07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm sorry, but I think this is just terrible. It's one thing to entertain us with Mrs. Jones stories, but to bring her child into it and ruin his first birthday with an intentionally annoying gift...

Oh who am I kidding!?!!?

Bring on the loudest, most annoying gift that little boy will love and then tell us all about it!!!!

buddyleebaby
07-09-2008, 11:29 PM
I voted for the puppy.
Baby Jones will love it. Make sure you rip it out of the packaging as soon as they open gifts..."Oh, he wants to play with it now!"

eliasmom
07-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Hmmm, I voted for the puppy because the one that was given to DD as a gift seems to be ultra-sensitive and semi-possessed. It randomly says its little annoying sayings hours after DD last played with it... especially late at night, long after she has been put to bed. Pretty high annoyance factor, but a huge winner with the kids. Our mysteriously disappeared after a little while. AHEM!

DD also received the damn Lucky Ducks game from MIL when she was about 14 months old - it is AWFUL. Definitely keep it in mind for the kid's 3rd b-day. :D

dcmom2b3
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
mmmm, square! cookie jar all the way!

mh

KBecks
07-10-2008, 10:47 AM
I picked the cookie jar but I like the ball popper too -- it is totally annoying and lots of fun for the child.

MontrealMum
07-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey Liz!

I just got an email from Amazon telling me that if I spend $25 on select Hasbro merchandise, I will receive a free classic Mr. Potato Head! And the Ball popper thing is on the list of "select" merchandise. Don't know if you have time to order from Amazon, but you should take advantage of that if you go with the ball popper! Poor Mr. Potato Head doesn't make any noise or anything, but hey, free is free.

lil_acorn
07-10-2008, 11:27 AM
my son got the ball popper for his 1 year birthday. We've already lost 1 of the 4 balls. that thing is loud, but he likes it.

Drag0nflygirl
07-10-2008, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=LarsMal]I'm sorry, but I think this is just terrible. It's one thing to entertain us with Mrs. Jones stories, but to bring her child into it and ruin his first birthday with an intentionally annoying gift...
QUOTE]
You TOTALY had me going! :ROTFLMAO:

Clarity
07-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Oh, definitely rip the package open! My dad and step did this when they got dd her LNL Puppy her first Christmas. Then they threw the box away with all the wrapping paper. *sigh* We were stuck with that d*mn puppy.

tnrnchick74
07-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Another vote for the ball popper - I got one for my nephew and I am SCARED to see what kind of payback my SIL invokes on me with Parker!

and you MUST get it from Target and toss the gift receipt!!! Throw some REAL fingerpaints in there too!!! :jammin:

SummerBaby
07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
I voted for the puppy. I've been tortured by this thing for almost 4 years now. Unfortunately, DD2 loves it just as much as DD1 did. It truly is torture for the parent. The songs just STICK in your head- in fact, as I type, I"m singing "everything's got a color that it can share, be it green or orange or red or blue, and there's purple, pink and yellow too!" Not to mention "do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro, can you tie them in a knot, can you tie them in a bow? Do they go flip flop, do they wobble when you walk? Do your ears hang low?"

Add to these obnoxious lyrics the fact that the thing just loves to start spontaneously singing, sneezing (yes, it sneezes) and counting in the middle of the night, which wakes up your child, and I think this is your perfect gift! (Lucky Ducks might have been my first choice, but Mrs. Jones sounds too dumb to realize it's not age appropriate and you don't want poor BabyJones choking on a duck or something.)

Have fun at the party!!

Val
DD1 7/04
DD2 7/07

mommyp
07-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I voted for the cookie jar, because of the "Circle, yummy" post, that had me LOL yesterday. DD is too young for these yet, but I'm taking notes for what *not* to get her later.

randomkid
07-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Whatever you get, you must take it out of the box, remove all ties, plastic, etc that is securing it and throw that stuff away! Then, place gift back in box and lose the receipt. We always "set free" and assemble DD's gifts before she opens them so she can just take it out of the box and play with it (my parents haven't quite learned this lesson yet). This way, you can just say you wanted him to be able to take it out right away without having to undo all the packaging (and it can't be returned). The added bonus is that he will start playing with it immediately.

Oh yeah - Don't forget the batteries - and put in some extras!!!

WatchingThemGrow
07-11-2008, 09:14 AM
Please make sure it is over $20, so it absolutely can't be returned.

elizabethkott
07-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Holy carp, you guys...
I'm leaving in 20 minutes for Target, and the poll is really really close!!! Right now, the Cookie Jar is winning by one vote at 21, and in close second and third are the Ball Popper with 20 and the Puppy with 19!!!
I'm going to go get ready, and then check back here... right now it's looking like the Cookie Jar is the winner....

KBecks
07-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Whatever you get, you must take it out of the box, remove all ties, plastic, etc that is securing it and throw that stuff away! Then, place gift back in box and lose the receipt. We always "set free" and assemble DD's gifts before she opens them so she can just take it out of the box and play with it (my parents haven't quite learned this lesson yet). This way, you can just say you wanted him to be able to take it out right away without having to undo all the packaging (and it can't be returned). The added bonus is that he will start playing with it immediately.

Oh yeah - Don't forget the batteries - and put in some extras!!!

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!!!!!

StantonHyde
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I just want to thank you so very much for this post. I read the original obnoxious toy one and I tell you--those are posts to read while you are trying to eat a black bean salad at your computer on your lunch break!!:loveeyes:

And this one is truly hilarious too. I cannot wait for the update on Baby Joneses party!!