PDA

View Full Version : Did I order the wrong size hotsling?

sarahsthreads
07-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I know I won't really know until the baby is out, but I kind of expected my new hotsling to be very, very, very snug over my hugely pregnant belly, and the size I got gives me enough room to put "big baby" (DD's 21" newborn-sized baby doll) in it. Is that OK? It's not like the sling hangs too low, but then again there's no way it could at the moment, and while "big baby" is newborn-sized, she's definitely not as heavy as a real baby!

I'm not concerned about returning it for size issues beyond the fact that I want to have a functional sling from day 1 if possible...so having to ship it back and wait to have a new one shipped out to me would be a little bit of a pain.

(See, this is when having a group like NINO in the area would be really helpful!)

Thanks!
Sarah :)

SnuggleBuggles
07-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I think you may want to try and buy from a B&M store so you can return, if possible. I had 3 dif't Hotsling sizes. I read the chart and picked one and then decided it just was too big. My NINO group said that evn the new one was too big so I returned it again.

I think if you already think the size is too big it probably is. Mine is a pretty snug fit and it works well that way. According to the size chart I thought I should go with a 3 or 4 (mainly b/c of bust size) but the 2 is what works for me.

My Target sells them now. Maybe you could just go and experiment in the store (or some other b&m store)?

Beth

npace19147
07-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Well, this may not be what you want to hear, but I would recommend getting a ring sling to have on hand if you really want to be able to use it from day one. The HS might work, it might not, you really won't be able to know until the baby is out <grin>. Whereas if the HS doesn't work and you're desperate, a ring sling will always work b/c it is adjustible.

Even if you don't think you're a RS person, I vote for getting an inexpensive one off FSOT and just having it. If you don't use it, you're not out much, but it could be a lifesaver. GL!

sarahsthreads
07-10-2008, 09:52 PM
My Target only has them in size 4. I ordered a 5 (based on my pre-pg sizes), so I suppose I could get a Target one and just return whichever doesn't work...assuming the 4 isn't too big as well!

Thanks for the idea!

sarahsthreads
07-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I have a ring sling, but I didn't get it until DD was 18-ish months old, so I've only ever used it for a hip carry. I have absolutely no idea how to carry a tiny baby in it - I let my cousin borrow it when her 2nd son was born, but neither of us could figure out how to put the baby in without hurting or dropping him. I feel like a ring sling failure. ;)

So that's why I ordered a pouch - less chance for user error! But I do at least have the ring sling as a backup if I do discover that my hotsling is just way too big...I just have to find someone who knows how to use it.

tnrnchick74
07-10-2008, 11:28 PM
I agree that the sizing on the hotslings is VERY subjective and its important to get the right size for safe carrying & comfort. There is very little way to "estimate" the true size while pregnant - this is form my mistakes and my friends mistakes!

GET A RING SLING!!!

If you are leery of them, thinking they are too hard to figure out how to carry a small baby - check out the video instructions at www.zolowear.com. The video shows GREAT instructions. I figured out how to do 3 different carry's on my own (no help from anyone) JUST by using that video and experimenting. I was able to figure out a cradle hold on day 1 - granted it wasn't perfect, but it got me through the day with my screaming child!

And if there is a babywearing group in your area - PLEASE CONTACT THEM!!! There isn't one in my immediate area, so we are trying to organize one!

sarahsthreads
07-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the link to the videos! Those are really helpful.

And I WISH there was a babywearing group around here...the closest I've seen is the LLL meetings, which I don't have time to go to anymore. :(

DrSally
07-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Well, this may not be what you want to hear, but I would recommend getting a ring sling to have on hand if you really want to be able to use it from day one. The HS might work, it might not, you really won't be able to know until the baby is out <grin>. Whereas if the HS doesn't work and you're desperate, a ring sling will always work b/c it is adjustible.

Even if you don't think you're a RS person, I vote for getting an inexpensive one off FSOT and just having it. If you don't use it, you're not out much, but it could be a lifesaver. GL!

I have a hotsling for upcoming baby, but also want to get a ring sling. What's FSOT? Also, I got mine sized at a B&M store when I was earlier in my preg and then ordered it online. I agree with buying at a store if you're pretty preg now, so you can exchange if you need to.

npace19147
07-11-2008, 09:31 PM
I have a hotsling for upcoming baby, but also want to get a ring sling. What's FSOT? Also, I got mine sized at a B&M store when I was earlier in my preg and then ordered it online. I agree with buying at a store if you're pretty preg now, so you can exchange if you need to.

FSOT is the for sale or trade board at www.thebabywearer.com - lots of good stuff on there. Good brands to look for are Zolowear and SBP (Sleeping Baby Productions).