PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking a 'true' jogging stroller

iaam
07-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi! My husband and I are both runners and are trying to decide what stroller to get to take our son running with us. From what I can tell, many 'jogging strollers' on the market aren't necessarily meant for running/jogging (e.g., the Baby Jogger City Classic). So, my question is: what are the options for true jogging strollers? A couple that I have found are the BJ Performance and Bob SUV -- what do you think of these and are there others that you would recommend? Thanks so much for your help!

cellenly
07-11-2008, 12:40 AM
DH's the jogger in the family & DH likes the Kool Stop that we have. It has large wheels, fixed front wheel, and the back wheels are (i forget the word) slightly tilted so that when you run w/ it, it straigtens out (like how wheelchair wheels are tilted). Anyway, DH likes it; he left it up to me to get the stroller & he has nothing to compare it to so take it for what it's worth.

I know this stroller doesn't get a lot of press on the boards, but I definately think it's worth a look. It was recommended to us by another runner who prob logged about 1k w/ his daughter on his kool stop.

with all that said, in the end, DH prefers jogging alone w/ his own thoughts and the stroller gets used less than we anticipated.

now this applies only to the single. i assumed you were talking about single.

wiza
07-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Another vote for Kool Stop! We have owned two singles and one double and we have loved them all! HTH!

cellenly
07-11-2008, 12:56 AM
actually, we loved our single kool stop so much that we ended up w/ the double. but after using it, i'm not so crazy about the double b/c...
1. we don't ever really run w/ 2 kids (i never run in general & he doesn't like running w/ the kids, plus w/ 2, it's kinda heavy to really run).
2. though we can store the single in our spacious garage very easily, we have to fold the double. i think the kool stop is pretty easy, but there are easier ones out there.
3. i wish we had gotten swivel front wheels since we weren't going to run w/ the kids. i'm tired of tilting & turning, esp since we walk woodsy paths that require turns all the time.
4. we rarely use the brake even though we have mild hills in our neighborhood.

maybe i'd like the double more if i was doing beach stuff. i bet the large wheels would handle sand better than most other strollers, but for us, we're on concrete, grass, and packed gravel paths.

w/ all that said, i got the double off craigslist for $60, and i doubt i could have gotten some of the other strollers w/ swivel wheels for that price in my city (those high end strollers rarely come up & if they do, it's for much more). i've seen kool stops come up for very good prices on my craigslist.