PDA

View Full Version : BJCM or Mac Quest - Help!

nm8976
07-11-2008, 12:03 AM
I am looking for a lightweight stroller for my 17 month old daughter. I initially thought I wanted a Maclaren. It seems to be light, small and easy to travel with. However, after reading about it being tippy - I am starting to consider other strollers. I have seen several good reviews of the City Mini. I have a BOB for outdoor activities, so this stroller would mainly be used to run errands (mall, airport, etc). Is the Mini too big for Mall trips or trips to the airport? Is it comfortable for the little ones? The back wheels seem wide- is it easy to maneuver through doors? Thanks for your help!!

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2008, 09:07 AM
I am down to the same 2 strollers, I think! (I still think about the Baby Planet Solo Sport endangered species stroller sometimes.) I am headed to the store today, hopefully, to try them both side by side. I won't be able to sanswer all the q's w/o owning the BJCM but the sales' staff at the independent baby store I go to really know their stuff so hopefully I'll know some answers.

Btw, a friend told me about these weights they sell that go around the wheel bases of Macs to keep them from being tippy. I think that sounds like a great idea. She said they look like little ankle weights.

Beth

vacationer526
07-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I have both the Mini and the Quest, actually, so I may be a good person to reply to this post! :) Out of all of the baby products out there, strollers seem to be my weakness...I have the BJCSC as my main neighborhood walking stroller, the Mini as my car/errand stroller, and the Quest (which I scored for $99 at the Land of Nod outlet here in Chicago!) for my travel stroller. I love them all! Before I found my too-good-to-pass-up Quest deal, I debated between the Mini and the Quest for the longest time. I really, really wanted the Mini but worried it was too similar to the Baby Jogger I already had. However, now that I have it, I am so happy that I went ahead with it...it really is the perfect car stroller for me. If I had to choose between the Mini and the Quest again though, I'd go with the Mini. I just love it. However, if you really think you're only going to use it for quick errands and travel, the Quest would be just fine. I'm pretty "active" with my car stroller/Mini though (drive to meet friends for walks, go to the zoo, etc.) so the Mini is great for those types of things (huge sunshade for the hot sun, easy steering, great recline). If you're just running to the mall, store, etc. the Quest would be fine (also has a nice recline, btw, but not so great sunshade). I think it just depends on your lifestyle and how much you'll really use the car stroller. Hope this helps!

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Sorry for the thread hijack. I didn't get to the store yet to compare and I was wondering what you thought about the amount of space the BJCM takes in the trunk vs the Quest? We'd be using the stroller for occasions you said you liked the BJCM for so it will be my primary stroller that I keep in the car all the time.

Beth

vacationer526
07-12-2008, 08:49 PM
The Quest definitely takes less room (long and skinny vs. the Mini being folded in half), but the Mini isn't bad either. I'd been using a snap n' go prior to the Mini and it took about as much room if that gives you any idea. I have a small car (a Toyota Corolla) and I can easily fit the Mini, a pack n' play, and a few bags of groceries in the trunk. Hope that helps!

mommymaci
07-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Vacationer526 -- I just posted a question about the BJCM and then I saw this post. You answered a lot of questions I had about this stroller, but I was wondering if the seat was comfortable enough. How old is your child? It looked okay for the 2 and under scene, but did not really look like it would be comfy for an older child (4 or 5 years, or more) but that was just in my opinion. It just seemed like it wasn't very deep. Thanks!

jd11365
07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
I thought the BJCM was much bigger feeling than the Quest. Bigger footprint, bigger wheels to take up space, just bigger. I wanted small and easy for fast in and out of the car, so I went with the Quest. Love it.

vacationer526
07-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Yes, definitely a bigger footprint than the Quest. The reason I really like the Mini is that I'm very active with my car stroller...it's not just a quick "mall" type stroller for me. I live in Chicago, and drive across town to meet friends for long walks, drive down to the lakefront and take walks, etc), so it really depends on what your lifestyle is. The Quest is great, but I would never use it as a walking-type stroller in the city. Errands/travel yes...walking, no.
My DD is 9 months old. She looks comfy in the Mini and loves taking naps in it (great recline), but maybe a 4-5 yr old wouldn't be as comfy(?) I do see what people say about their kids looking slumped in it. Kids never look slumped in Maclarens...

SnuggleBuggles
07-18-2008, 02:37 PM
I finally went to the store and compared them. The BJCM does fold like a dream and steer very well. In the end we decided not to choose it because it didn't fold up small enough to really be any better than our Graco Metrolite. I know Gracos get no respect on this board but in all my shopping I keep coming back to my tried and true stroller. It has good wheels, adjustable handle height, nice recline, 17lbs, all those parent and child ammenities (trays, cup holders), it doesn't squeak, and many of the features I guess I was looking for. Who knew I already owned the stroller that met my criteria?

The BJCM was able to navigate a very crowded baby store. It was really nice. The Quest did just as well.

Because trunk space is getting to be a PITA I will but the Quest if I can't keep my trunk clean. ;) I wish the Quest had a better canopy but I think it will be ok.

I think that because you already have a BOB you should go with the Mac. It will be good to have 2 very different strollers so you have one that is right for the occasion.

Beth

nm8976
07-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. I think the Mac is better suited for what I need since I primarily use the BOB for all outdoors stuff. Just a quick question-- is there any difference between the 07 and 08 Macs? thanks.

lorinick
07-18-2008, 04:07 PM
I finally went to the store and compared them. The BJCM does fold like a dream and steer very well. In the end we decided not to choose it because it didn't fold up small enough to really be any better than our Graco Metrolite. I know Gracos get no respect on this board but in all my shopping I keep coming back to my tried and true stroller. It has good wheels, adjustable handle height, nice recline, 17lbs, all those parent and child ammenities (trays, cup holders), it doesn't squeak, and many of the features I guess I was looking for. Who knew I already owned the stroller that met my criteria?

The BJCM was able to navigate a very crowded baby store. It was really nice. The Quest did just as well.

Because trunk space is getting to be a PITA I will but the Quest if I can't keep my trunk clean. ;) I wish the Quest had a better canopy but I think it will be ok.

I think that because you already have a BOB you should go with the Mac. It will be good to have 2 very different strollers so you have one that is right for the occasion.

BethI love my Metro as well the basket is awsome and the handles are nice. I also have the Quest and use it often. We love both stollers. Harness straps are nice on the Quest. I have a sun shade attachment that works great. I don't find it that tippy. You just can't hang a lot off of it. That's fine. It takes up barly no space in car. And steers great. And it cleans very well. All peices come off the stroller.