PDA

View Full Version : Swim diaper question?

HIU8
07-11-2008, 03:46 PM
We are using medium size swim diapers for DD. I cannot get the small ones on her--she wears a sz 5 pampers regularly. However, twice when we have put the swim diaper on her and she pee's it goes everywhere and leaks through the swim diaper. This never happened with my son. Do I have the wrong size on her? Am I missing something like swim diapes are gender specific like pull ups are? HELP.

caheinz
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Swim diapers don't hold pee. None of them do.

If they did, just think how heavy they would be once a kid got into a swimming pool....

The only thing they'll catch (and need to contain) is poo.

HIU8
07-11-2008, 07:16 PM
I guess DS never pee'd in his. So, I assume I will need multiple swim diapers for a day at the pool with DD. Do I need one of the plastic underpants things over the swim diaper and under the bathingsuit?

Wife_and_mommy
07-11-2008, 10:22 PM
I guess DS never pee'd in his. So, I assume I will need multiple swim diapers for a day at the pool with DD. Do I need one of the plastic underpants things over the swim diaper and under the bathingsuit?

I usually wait until we're getting ready to go in the water/outside to put the dipe on. Then if DS goes, he's outside. I don't think the plastic underpants would contain it either, honestly.

I didn't see the age of your dd but my DS(2.5) is 29# and 38 inches. He wears a size 4 dipe. I have small and medium size swim dipes and he fits fine in both. Just fyi.

lorinick
07-11-2008, 10:28 PM
I use them in the pool all the time. I put them on right before we drive there. It's a swim club a few blocks away. I've never had a problem. I didn't know they didn't hold pee. Wish I saw this post before I drove to the shore last week. I put him in a swim diaper. When we took him out he was dreched. I had to take the whole car seat cover off to wash it. Fun stuff.

Wife_and_mommy
07-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I use them in the pool all the time. I put them on right before we drive there. It's a swim club a few blocks away. I've never had a problem. I didn't know they didn't hold pee. Wish I saw this post before I drove to the shore last week. I put him in a swim diaper. When we took him out he was dreched. I had to take the whole car seat cover off to wash it. Fun stuff.

So sorry that happened. I said in another thread they should put a "warning" that says that. :hug:

caheinz
07-12-2008, 12:02 AM

Not necessarily -- if she's in the pool most of the time, the pee will just float on out.

You'll need to check pool rules as to whether they require a "rubber pants" type cover over the swim dipe. But it won't really hold pee in, either. (I think they're just to be more certain of poop containment.)

There are some nasty bugs that can be spread via our solid wastes, but pee isn't anywhere near as nasty from a pathogenic point of view.

chilaski
07-14-2008, 12:46 AM
I have a 3-month-old. From reading these posts, I assume I should wait until she starts with solid poos before attempting to go into a pool? She's exclusively breastfed so her poohs are still pretty runny and I imagine would not be contained by any diaper. That said, I think I recall reading somewhere that a newborn shouldn't go into a pool anyway because of chemicals and immune system not being built up yet - but at what age does this no longer hold true? i.e. at what age should it be OK for her to go into a pool? I plan to introduce solid foods at 6 months.

mommyp
07-14-2008, 01:20 AM
My DD just turned 6 months old and her first time in a pool was last week. That was when I felt ready to take her, but I have several friends who took their 3 month old babies in the pool and had no problems. That said, the smallest swim diaper I found was size 3-4 (so 16 lb min, which DD is now). I don't think the 3 month olds were in very long, just a dip when it was really hot to cool them off and get them used to the water.

caheinz
07-15-2008, 04:44 PM
I have a 3-month-old. From reading these posts, I assume I should wait until she starts with solid poos before attempting to go into a pool? She's exclusively breastfed so her poohs are still pretty runny and I imagine would not be contained by any diaper. That said, I think I recall reading somewhere that a newborn shouldn't go into a pool anyway because of chemicals and immune system not being built up yet - but at what age does this no longer hold true? i.e. at what age should it be OK for her to go into a pool? I plan to introduce solid foods at 6 months.
She would probably need an elasticized diaper cover to hold the poop in. You can put it over a disposable swim diaper. Or, the reusable ones at Target could be used alone -- they're impermeable, but have a terrycloth lining. They have elastic around the waist as well as around each leg, so there's no way for the poop to escape.

Some pools require such a cover of any kid that isn't potty trained. It depends on the rules at the pool...