PDA

View Full Version : Glass coffee table- am I crazy to buy this?

elektra
07-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I really want a Noguchi Tribeca glass coffee table. The edges are rounded but I am still picturing our 15 month old crashing through it or conking her head on it, or tipping the glass over on it. I could probably put some kind of soft wrap-around thing on it but I wouldn't want anything stuck to the glass.
Should I just hold off on any non-baby friendly furniture like this?
http://www.noguchi.org/cofftable.htm

SnuggleBuggles
07-11-2008, 04:24 PM
I'd be a wreck if it were in a room baby was often in. Not to mention how annoyed I would be w/ all the baby fingerprints and general disheveldness the poor table would probably be subjected to. Very cool table though. :)

Beth

Wife_and_mommy
07-11-2008, 04:30 PM
IMO, that table is asking for trouble in a house with a toddler. If the glass didn't just sit on the base I'd be less nervous but still a wreck.

I'd hold off on this. I'll be interested to see if anyone disagrees. :)

JdrKuhnert
07-11-2008, 05:21 PM
I actually have a glass topped side table in my house. It has rounded edges and sits on a metal base. I haven't had any problems with it. The only issue has been fingerprints. We really don't have a "kid" house. We buy the pieces that we like and teach our boys to live with them. I was brought up the same way. If it's something that you really want and don't want to wait, then go for it.

brittone2
07-11-2008, 05:29 PM
I think some of it is kid personality too. DS was the kind of kid that you barely had to childproof for. He just gets safety and has always been very meticulous about certain things and very gentle.

DD on the other hand...;) She's been climbing the ladder to the attic since she was 12 months (with supervision). She's just very, very active and thinks nothing of climbing on a stool, then onto the countertop, etc. and she's 19 months (and has done this stuff for months). Her personality is totally different and she's a total daredevil.

bubbaray
07-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Sorry, I had to stop laughing.... Beautiful table, but fingerprints and possible scratches aside, I kept picturing DD#1 "surfing" on top of it. At about 18m, she started climbing on our (wood) coffee table and assuming a pretty much perfect surfer dude stance on top of it. Needless to say, we removed it from the family room (and, 3 yrs later, its still stored downstairs).

Ask yourself if you want your child standing on top of it.

Drag0nflygirl
07-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I sell furniture. There's no way that's not tempered glass. You can stand on tempered glass and nothing will happen. Really. We do it all the time just to freak people out. It's also super heavy so the chances of your child moving it is slim to none, and that base looks super stable. Get it if you want it - just buy a really, really big bumper!

elektra
07-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I just found this article online and now feel guilty for even wanting this table!
But I'm sort of hoping for a happy medium between a place completely overrun with toys and something pristine and museum-like.
http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/blogging/blogging-nyt-integrating-children-into-your-decor-042917

belovedgandp
07-12-2008, 03:29 PM
We have a glass topped kitchen table. I absolutely love it. But it always has the chairs around it to prevent getting the top knocked off. It always has messes and prints on it, so I should wipe it down after every meal - in reality it's once a day or when something gets spilled. But for a kitchen table, I'd be wiping it down daily no matter what the surface was.

niccig
07-12-2008, 06:33 PM
I just found this article online and now feel guilty for even wanting this table!
But I'm sort of hoping for a happy medium between a place completely overrun with toys and something pristine and museum-like.
http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/blogging/blogging-nyt-integrating-children-into-your-decor-042917

I think you can find that happy medium. Kids need to be comfortable in the environment as well. I feel sorry for the kids that are told that can't sit on the new couch. It's the kid's home too, not just a home for a couch.

DH wasn't happy when I wanted the Ikea Expedit bookshelves for the family room - he wanted me to use the antique Asian style bookcase. I told him the bookshelf was mostly for DS's toys and it would get dinged up, and I didn't want something expensive. We still have the Asian bookcase in the room, but it's behind one of the arm chairs and holds our books - nothing in there that DS is interested in. The Expedit shelf has gotten some abuse and dings, and I don't care. It's the same colour as the Asian bookcase, so having the 2 in the same room looks OK. When DS is much older, we'll replace the Expedit bookcase with something else. But for now, it's perfect for DS's toys. And as he gets older, were less worried about some things.

JBaxter
07-12-2008, 07:07 PM
with my oldest I would have said yes with my second NO WAY. I would not buy that with a toddler in the house

TahliasMom
07-13-2008, 01:31 AM
remember that the cushy thing that you put around tables and edges leaves an ugly residue. plus the fading from the sun which i guess you wouldn't have an issue with glass. i guess cuz dd and i share such a small place that all our stuff is kind of fused together and i'm tired of trying to take it back. lol. one day i dream of mine living room...hehe

Mommyof2inHou
07-17-2008, 03:13 PM
[URL="http://eurway.com/tables.lasso?itemid=2375&categorykey=97&subcategorykey=13&page=1&result=&-session=eo_user:0C2949821181c20CA7IvX41F45B5"]

I'm not sure if this link will work, but we have a round glass top coffee table and haven't had problems (DS 1, DD 3). Our living room doubles as the playroom. We don't leave them in the room unattended. DS pulls up using the table but we are there at his side. There have been a couple of occassions when DD has leaned on it too hard (and we were there to correct her way before it flipped), but the glass is heavy. We are just teaching them how to use the table. Fingerprints are an issue, but who can see the fingerprints on the glass for all the toys and magazines on the top?

DD is not allowed to stand on the sofa, so she wouldn't dream of standing on the table. DS will be taught the same rules.

I grew up with glass dining tabletops. Never had a problem with any of them breaking, except the time my mom decided to climb on top of it (pedestal base) to change the kitchen light bulb. We had a time razzing her about breaking it too. What we did have a problem with was the cushy ottoman - I busted my chin on that because I was using it as a trampoline. (In her defense mom did warn me to stop.)

MommyAllison
07-21-2008, 07:44 PM
I really want a Noguchi Tribeca glass coffee table. The edges are rounded but I am still picturing our 15 month old crashing through it or conking her head on it, or tipping the glass over on it. I could probably put some kind of soft wrap-around thing on it but I wouldn't want anything stuck to the glass.
Should I just hold off on any non-baby friendly furniture like this?
http://www.noguchi.org/cofftable.htm

I wouldn't. Our friends had one and a couple months ago, the glass slid off and shattered all over their (carpeted) floor. Thankfully their babies were in bed. I was shocked - the glass was very thick and the coffee table was quite low to the ground.