PDA

View Full Version : Recycling/disposing of old PC and monitor

nupe
07-11-2008, 08:01 PM
The old computer I am getting rid of is pretty old. The best way I have been able to find to dispose of it is at Staples. The website says you can drop it off and pay the fee of $10/piece. They take the keyboard/mouse for no additional fee if you pay for the large item. Then they send them somewhere where they are broken down for parts. Any other options?

I found this EPA website that linked to staples:

http://www.epa.gov/e-cycling/donate.htm

http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/ecoeasy/index2.html

(HP's site will let you pay for a label, then you box it up and send it in, and get a credit toward an HP purchase, but I don't know when we'll buy another computer.)

elliput
07-11-2008, 09:35 PM
It may take a bit of leg work on your part, but some schools will take old pc's and monitors. Also check to see if there is a used computer reseller in your area. The Goodwill or Salvation Army in your area may take computer/monitors. I have donated working printers and monitors to SA, but not pc's.

nupe
07-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks for your recs. I tried to donate it a few years back when we got a new pc, but the processor was too old then even for local schools. So I kept it for playing the Thomas and JayJay games, and because it ran some old work related software that didn't run on new windows platform.

I just saw that Costco will accept the PC (not monitor) for no charge via mail or locally through their program that can be found through their website under computers, recycling on the pull-down menu.

rlu
07-12-2008, 01:38 AM
We have e-waste drop-off days at least twice a year through our waste collector.

TinkerPlink
07-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Have you tried Freecycle? Someone may be interested on there....

erosenst
07-12-2008, 08:29 PM
I was going to suggest Freecycle as well. Lots of people either use parts, or use old ones to learn on.

clb
07-12-2008, 09:09 PM
The county that I live in has a drop off a couple of times a year for hazardous waste. Maybe you can check your county's website?

kijip
07-13-2008, 02:48 AM
As someone who runs a charity and has to fight off "generous" donations of junky old computer equipment (that I have to pay to reputably recycle the monitors- even the county charges unless I want to store them for months in my limited work space waiting for the few free days) I would tend to agree you will NOT be able to find a charity to take it. What I paid to get rid of donated junk last year (this is after freecycle attempts) would have paid for over 20 new pairs of shoes for kids. These donations literally take away from the families we serve. Larger charities like Goodwill have HUGE costs for getting rid of old technology people leave in their parking lots etc. $5-15 is the expected fee for getting rid of an old monitor or TV in a responsible fashion due to the hazardous materials inside them. I have used Staples and my county's solid waste department both are fine but Staples is super convenient.