PDA

View Full Version : Expecting Twins-Suggestions on Double Strollers?

jamie
07-11-2008, 11:23 PM
I just posted this message on the stroller boards and realized that I should have posted on the multiples site.
My husband and I are going to be first time parents expecting twins. When the babies are infants, we are going to use the Snugride with the double snap-n-go. We are researching double strollers for our registry. I am new to the boards and was wondering if you had suggestions on double strollers. (At this point, money isn't an object.) I think I would like to register for two different types of strollers: 1) to go walking trails that can stand up to outdoor activities, 2) lightweight,easy in/out car for errands, mall, etc. We looked at the Baby Jogger City Elite Double and also the Bob Revolution Double. For a lightweight stroller we also looked at the Maclaren Twin Triumph. Any recommendations, suggestion, advice? Thanks in advance!

Papa Joe
07-12-2008, 09:03 AM
For walks in the park and the like checkout the Valco Trimode double, Baby Jogger City, or the Mountain Buggy Double.

For quick commuting checkout the Baby Jogger City Mini, Combi Twinsport, or Peg Perego Aria Twin.

You can get the Snap and Go in many instances used for quite a considerable savings.

If you are just going to get ONE stroller, I would suggest you checkout the Zooper Tango or the Baby Jogger City Mini.

WatchingThemGrow
07-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Not a multiple mom here, but we LOVE our BJCED and our single Triumph. If I were in your boat, I wouldn't hesitate with either of the choices you're leaning toward. I have not pushed the TT with 2 kids in it, however. The Bob Rev Duallie was great, too. It just didn't fit into the back of our CRV with the wheel still attached. I use the BJCED for everything.

Melaine
07-12-2008, 04:05 PM
I have a BJCSD, and we love it. I had gone through like 7 double strollers; they can be so annoying! So far this is the only one that I feel like works well for indoors and out.

jamie
07-12-2008, 09:08 PM
I think we are leaning towards that Baby Jogger. Are there any lightweight doubles that you would recommend as a second stroller?

sue_g
07-13-2008, 12:35 AM
We had the Peg Perego Aria Twin and I would highly recommend it.

jamie
07-14-2008, 08:30 PM
I am so overwhelmed with trying to choose the strollers and carseats that should hopefully work best for us. Would anyone recommend the Valco Baby :: Runabout Tri Mode Twin? I believe we would compare that with the BJ City Elite. Thanks again for all the help!

aim3304
07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
I can tell you what has worked for us - and trust me, I highly researched everything before I made my purchases! My twins are now 16 mo. We started with the double snap n go - can't beat the convenience and the HUGE basket. This is how I did a lot of grocery shopping! Before they were one, I made my next purchase - a BJCMD. This is the best stroller. It really covers all of our needs. Howevr, recently, I did splurge and bought a Bob Duallie 12" AW. This is my outdoor stroller as you can't beat air tires for walks. So, with these two strollers, I feel I am totally set. My advice - buy online to find the best price.

BeachBum
07-18-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm in the same boat--just expecting--so no real experience. As much as I don't want to shuck out the big bucks for two strollers, I think that is what we are going to do. We had two for my son, and it has served us well over the past 3 yrs.

On my short list are
for outside:
Valco Twin Trimode
MBUD (I had a MBUS for my singleton and loved it)
Bumbleride Indie Twin

and for the car:
BJCMD
Valco Latitude
zooper tango
I wish these had an adjustable foot area but neither do as far as I know. I want a stroller that is a bit more full service (snack tray etc) than a maclaren

Let's keep this thread going! I'm surprised how little discussion I can find about strollers for twins.

Naranjadia
07-18-2008, 10:58 PM
On my short list are
for outside:
Valco Twin Trimode
MBUD (I had a MBUS for my singleton and loved it)
Bumbleride Indie Twin

and for the car:
BJCMD
Valco Latitude
zooper tango
I wish these had an adjustable foot area but neither do as far as I know. I want a stroller that is a bit more full service (snack tray etc) than a maclaren

Let's keep this thread going! I'm surprised how little discussion I can find about strollers for twins.

We have been using the MBUD for our twins for over a year and it is wonderful. Our car stroller is the Combi Twin Savvy which has been very reliable, but I wish it turned more easily.

fivi2
07-22-2008, 01:38 PM
The BJCSD has been our one and only stroller for about 2 years now (after the snap and go). I love it.

WatchingThemGrow
07-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I have no experience with Peg Perego strollers, but someone mentioned their twin. What I've seen and read, though, it that it now has a 60/40 split, which makes sense if you need one for a 2nd DC, but not really if you have twins which are (roughly) the same size. Who would want to be in the small side??

You know that some online companies have return shipping insurance, right? That would enable you to try something out and return it semi-hassle-free if it just didn't work for you. In our area, it was hard to get your hands on doubles, and I just thought it was hard to narrow it down without walking with each stroller first.

tbeskildsen
07-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Our twin girls are due any day now and we just got the Bumbleride Indie Twin. I bought it on a whim off ebay brand new. I got a great deal on it, but now I think I have to sell it. I also have a toddler (2 1/2) who never wanted to sit in a stroller until now. So, I think I have to get one of the valco models with the toddler seat. I have heard rave reviews about the Trimode; not too much about the latitude because it is so new.

Indie Twin pros -
I think it is the best looking double stroller out there - It really is beautiful!
narrow enough to fit thru doorways
separate reclines
comes with several accessories, including 1 carseat attachment
good size storage underneath
very sturdy - well constructed
looks quite comfy
my 2 1/2 yr old fits with lots of room and he is very tall
adjustable handle (I'm 5'3" and my husband is 6'2")
nice steering (at least around our house - we haven't taken it outside yet!)

cons -
heavy
the fold is complicated
no toddler seat attachment

I am torn between a lightweight double like the latitude or BJCMD and a full-service heavier one like the the Indie Twin, Trimode or the City Elite model.

If anyone is interested in buying the Indie Twin, email me. The color is Koa. I live in Southern CT.

Traci

novmber
07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
i used my snap and go at first all the time and then we started using a used combi savvy - after a bit i splurged on a BJCCD and i am so so in love with this stroller. it is so awesome. definitely not lightweight but so easy to get around in stores etc.

good luck!

novmber
07-25-2008, 11:10 AM
oh i should say that my twins are 15 months old now - i got the BJCCD about 3 months ago - right around their birthday!

mongo
08-04-2008, 04:54 PM
have you looked at the firstwheels city twin? it's like a double bugaboo.

BeachBum
08-04-2008, 05:19 PM
My friend with 4 mo old twin girls said that the BJCMD is tippy. That is one thing that detered me a little bit. It might be fine once they are older and weigh a bit more though.

Thanks for the feedback on the MBUD, Naranjadia. I'm glad to hear you like it so much.

Traci-
I'm interested to hear why you think the bumbleride wont work for you? I thought it looked like a great option for twins. Can it not take a buggy board for your older child? Of the other strollers on your short list I thought the trimode was the only one that had a toddler seat?
My older son will be just over 3 when my twins are born so I'm kind of having the same delima. He hardly rides now, but I'm curious what will happen once the babies get here.

gatorsmom
08-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Of the other strollers on your short list I thought the trimode was the only one that had a toddler seat?
My older son will be just over 3 when my twins are born so I'm kind of having the same delima. He hardly rides now, but I'm curious what will happen once the babies get here.

There is another stroller which is fantastic for carrying twins+ toddler and that is the ABC Twin Everest. It will accommodate up to 2 additional toddlers beside the babies (so, a total of 4 children). Let's see if I can find a link:

http://www.abcbuggy.co.nz/everest_twin_buggy_w_toddler_seat.html

This stroller is very sturdy and well built. It is as narrow as an MBUD and even sort of looks like one, but unlike an MBUD it will take a single or double toddler seat on top. The great thing about this stroller is that the babies can be completely enclosed in either a bug/UV net or storm cover while you are out and about. This was important for me because I walk with our twin babies and our 3yo everyday and we have a ton of mosquitoes. I don't mind putting bug spray on our 3yo but I didn't want to have to for the twins (or sunscreen or anything else)! So, while the toddler can be climbing in and out, he never has to disturb the babies sleeping in their little cocoon underneath. That feature is fantastic.

The only drawback to this stroller is the fold. It is very bulky and difficult to load into the back of an car- nearly impossible for me to lift up into an SUV. I can drag it into the back of my minivan but not without getting myself dirty in the process. (oh- one other drawback is the price. Oh - and the fact that you would probably have to buy it without having driven one first. Not too many stores carry them in the U.S.)

On the other hand, we also have an MBUD and LOVE it. If price is no object, and your older child will be happy riding on the kiddyboard, you may want to consider that stroller. One day I plan to sell off all my strollers except my MBUD which I will use until the end of our stroller days. It is just that great. hth

ETA: I just looked at the link I put here and it appears that ABC has created a new option- the reclining toddler seat. So, in other words, if you wanted a baby on top of the stroller and your toddler underneath in the regular seat, you could do that. I bet Phil and Ted would even throw in a bug net with the top, add-on seat (that's kind of a cool feature- wish I had known about that!! My 3yo falls asleep when we are walking all the time and I can't recline his toddler seat.)

BeachBum
08-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the info on the ABC, I had heard of it, but hadn't really looked into it. It would be a really good option for us if DS decides to ride again.

I had a MBUS for my DS, and found a great deal on a used MBUD and carrycot recently and went ahead and bought it. I'm still on the look out for another carrycot. It really does seem like a great option, but man is it big! I guess all doubles (especially AT) are though ;)

theloo
08-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I just posted on the other "stroller" thread, but thought I'd ask here too. Anyone have experience with the Instep double joggers ... we'd be using it really more for walks than jogging.

http://www.thestrollerstore.com/safari-swivel-double-stroller.html

LaCostaMom
09-17-2008, 04:41 AM
Our twins are 6 months tomorrow and we have a dbl SNG which has been great for convenience and its huge basket.

I've been using our 2008 Zooper Tango which I really do like a lot. The seats are very roomy so the twins can really stretch out. When they were newborns, it was nice to be able to zip up the front to make a little "bassinett" for them to sleep in. It's very well-padded, steers well & 1-handed, smooth ride and best of all, the canopy is just amazing! It goes all the way down to the napper bar.

I love that the price included sunshield, boot & rain cover. It also came with a drink holder & little mesh pouch. The basket is large but it not very easy to access. I've gotten used to it though and zip in/out of the sides pretty easily

Each seat has its own canopy & individual recline. The recline will lay almost flat so I actually started using this for the twins pretty early on.

We looked at just about every single dbl out there including BJValco, BOB, Combi, Peg, Baby Planet, Joovy. Since we were expecting "tall" twins (DH is 6'3"), I wanted something that was roomy & of all the ones we looked at with our friend's 3 yr old, this was the one he was most comfy in.

Cons: a bit heavy & wider than I originally wanted (but that enables the comfy, roomy seats).

mongo
09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know if Bugaboo will be coming out with a double? It's the 800 lb gorilla in the market.

Antigoner
10-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Any thoughts on the Maclaren Twin Techno Stroller? That's the one we've registered for. We pushed it around the store and compared it to other models on the floor and it seemed best to us, but we didn't have babies in it! These 2 will be our firsts, so we don't have much experience picking any of this stuff out. It got rave reviews on the Babies R Us site, but noticed not a single one of you mentioned it here...Thanks!

Oh, and we are also registered for the Snap and Go 1305TW with Graco Safe Seats. Only hear raves about the Snap and Go.

:)

HIU8
10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
I have a Maclaren twin rally (it's an older model from 2003) that I got from a friend who was done using it. I don't have twins. I use it for my almost 4 yr old DS and 16 month old DD (have been using it since DD was 3 months old. It is very hard to steer and I really disliked it so I only used it when I had to. I have used it for DD and DN who are closer in age and weight and it was a little easier but still difficult to handle. If I were purchasing a double umbrella I might have gone with the inglesina with 3 handles instead of just the two on the maclaren. HTH

mikeys_mom
10-29-2008, 11:14 AM
I have the Maclaren Twin Traveller that my sister gave me and I agree that it is very difficult to push. I find the handlebars very wide apart and my arms get tired very easily. Also, I am constantly kicking the middle wheel, and I am not tall.
Up until now I have used it for DS and DD who are significantly different sizes. I have been told that it is easier with twins. At the moment I plan to keep it because this way I don't have to buy another stroller for the twins, but if I were buying new I would also consider the Inglesina. In fact, if I find I am using the stroller often and really continue to hate it, I might just end up buying a different stroller anyways.

ajstefan
11-09-2008, 11:39 PM
We're having twins in April 2009 (our first) and I've just started reading up on the strollers and car seats and have to be honest, I'm confused. Not sure if the strollers are regular strollers or work with the car seats, etc. Any info, suggestions? I'm going with a friend to start registering next weekend and want to have a clue what I'm looking for and should consider when I get there. Thanks!!

Aimee