PDA

View Full Version : another bunk bed question - mattress thickness / bunkie board

salsah
07-12-2008, 02:00 AM
i have no experience w/ bunk beds so i'm not sure if it is okay to use a regular mattress or if there are special thinner mattresses for bunk beds. if we get a bunk bed, will we need special mattresses (limited thickness) and will we need bunkie boards (i never heard of those until a minute ago while doing some google research)? if so, does anyone have any recommendations?

tia

WatchingThemGrow
07-12-2008, 09:38 AM
We don't have bunkbeds, but our Young America trundle required a thinner "bunk bed" mattress. We tried out the more $$ and the less expensive ones at the furniture store as well as the $99 bunk bed mattress at Sam's. The $$ at the store made by Serta or Sealy were WAY more comfortable. I think they are like 7-8.5" thick, so getting the better ones was the only way we could go. Uncomfy beds are not so fun. We value a good night's rest at our house :)

In short, lay on them yourself before buying.

salsah
07-12-2008, 11:24 AM
yes! when we bought a twin for dd1, we skipped the cheapo kids mattress and bought the same expensive one we have on our bed. thank god we did because dh and i have spent many nights sleeping in her bed! i just hope that it isn't too thick to use on the bunk bed that we are planning to buy.