PDA

View Full Version : Getting new bras when pregnant

KBecks
07-12-2008, 11:05 AM
I've never had to get new bras before, I've worn the same size all through my first 2 pregnancies, and then got larger bands sizes for nursing bras.

OK, so I have like 3 months to go. Should I just get one or two regular bras or should I go ahead and get nursing styles now?

Maybe I should suck it up and see about a fitting appointment. My exercise bras were the first to get too small but I think I'm only going to do water aerobics and walking from here to the end of this pregnancy.

Thanks!

caheinz
07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
My preference through most of pregnancy and nursing is to find bras that are sized less specifically -- something like S,M,L, instead of 34B, 36C, etc. Sports bras seem to often be that way.

Target has some with their nursing bras -- I picked up one to try and like it.

Otherwise I get frustrated spending the money on something that might fit today and tomorrow, but not at all next week...

WatchingThemGrow
07-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I went to VS and got *one* of my favorite bra style so I could still wear it with t-shirts and not feel all saggy and loose like my Bravados felt. It was the best $38 I ever spent during that time. I ended up finding another one there during the sale for a lot less, but I had one nice smooth tan one that fit perfectly. I felt like a new person for the remainder of the pregnancy -well, at least up there...

pb&j
07-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I went from a 32 band to a 38 while pg (yes, DS was lodged in my ribcage), and went right down to a 34 within a week or two of giving birth. Meanwhile, my cup size exploded, and stayed bigger than during pg for the entire time I was nursing. So bras bought for pg would have fit me very badly while nursing.

jvs195
07-16-2008, 10:09 AM
For both of my pregnancies I have had terrible back pain around by 3rd or 4th month and had to size up (cupsize) in my bras. Once I got some good ones I felt 100x better so it was worth it for me. Not sure what will happen this time, but last time my band size was same but cup size up 2 when my milk came in so the nursing bras in L/XL were good for that.

ThreeofUs
07-16-2008, 10:16 AM
You know, my boobs were SO uncomfortable this time - I swear they started swelling at 2 weeks gestation. I went in desperation for bra extenders to Target, and was surprised and impressed with the quality of nursing bras there.

I figured I might as well get the bras I needed in nursing configurations. After all, for those prices ($12?), who can go wrong?

lowrioh
07-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I think that it depends on how big a chest you have and if you have back pain. I started as a 38 C and my back and breasts were killing me at around 14 weeks so I went and bought a nursing bra in a 40 D. By 28 weeks I needed a bigger bra and more support and bought a normal bra at Lane Bryant in a 40 DD. It made SUCH a difference in how I felt and it was totally worth the money. I actually wear it almost every day and just wash it at night. Now, at 38 weeks I went out and bought 2 cheap nursing bras (42DD) for my first days and will go out and spend the big bucks on high quality nursing bras once my milk comes in.
I tried the nursing bras at Target, but in my case they just didn't cut it as far as support and fit.

maiaann
07-17-2008, 12:27 AM
My biggest complaint with bras while pregnant was that darn underwire. Once my belly got to be bigger than my chest, the underwire would rub & irritate the top of my bump. I mean, seriously irritate - it'd get all red & raw. (Of course, I'm petite (5'0) so not everybody probably has this problem!) I switched to soft, underwire-free, nursing bras at about 7 months. I'm a fan of the playtex brand (underwire alternative) - super affordable at about $15-$16. They didn't "squish" the girls together like sports bras do, offered just enough "separation" & support, were soft, breathable, and had several adjustable band positions. Unfortunately, about the time I weaned my last DD (3 months ago), I was told that Playtex was discontinuing the line & coming out with something "new" & "better." Hmmm....