PDA

View Full Version : Plane with two seats on one side of aisle and one on the other...

lmwbasye
07-12-2008, 05:06 PM
can a child sit in that single seat? I'm flying solo and have two in carseats...seats are purchased. My in-laws just told me that they will make me hold the infant even though his seat is purchased since a child can not sit in that single seat. Is this true and anyone know what I can do, if anything?

If it matters...this is Continental.

TIA!

Laurel
07-12-2008, 05:16 PM
IME on Continental (Houston to Florida), they will not let a child sit in the singe seat. Sorry :(

Zansu
07-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Don't have an answer, but the flight attendants will probably just reseat the older child on the two seat side, with an empty seat next to him/her if possible.

Call the airline and ask.

o_mom
07-12-2008, 07:13 PM
By law, if you have purchased a seat, they must allow you to install a carseat and use it. Not sure what happens in actual practice, though. I would just plan for the older child to sit in that seat.

kransden
07-12-2008, 09:04 PM
If you have purchased a seat for your infant, the infant is entitled to use it. Just bring your carseat. If the airline attendant says anything, all you do is say "I purchased the seat, my child is not a projectile."

As for the older child, sitting across the aisle from you makes the most sense, but I am not the airlines, and they do have crazy rules. Worst case scenario is they put the older child in the seat in front of you.

ha98ed14
07-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I think chances are the flight attendant would just ask the person in the 3rd seat next your your 2 together to switch to the single seat so you can have 3 seats together. I would imagine that a reasonable person would say yes. I mean, what adult is going to want to sit next to a young child that is not theirs? The risk of being puked on, spilled on, and uncontrollable crying would be enough to make me move even if I have to give up a window seat for an aisle. Can't hurt to ask. I mean really, who wants to sit next to a kid that isn't theirs?

galvjen
07-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Personal experience, which doesn't mirror your situation-
Lap child not allowed on the single seat side of aisle because there is not an extra oxygen mask for use during emergency. Apparently the side of hte aisle with 2 seats has an extra mask above. We've been through a few Continental flights where this was strictly enforced (we're a family of 2 adults, 1 child in purchased seat, and 1 lap child; which makes the lap child + adult sit next to the child in car seat).

Let us know how it works out.

mom2binsd
07-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Ok...am confused by some of the responses but it's late...I understand that your older child will be in the single seat on one side of the aisle and you will be across the aisle with the infant seat installed in the window seat and you in the aisle...I've seen a child in a carseat in that situation...you're being a safety minded parent by buying the baby a seat, the kids are safest in their carseats and that shouldn't cause them any grief...you've gone the extra step to buy the infant a seat and they can't deny you the safety of having the baby restrained in a seat...make sure you have proof of the paid ticket for the baby just in case....reaching across the aisle isn't that far and it's not like you're not aware of the situation...can you call Continental (do they have live agents that answer questions anymore???)

o_mom
07-13-2008, 07:47 AM
I think chances are the flight attendant would just ask the person in the 3rd seat next your your 2 together to switch to the single seat so you can have 3 seats together. I would imagine that a reasonable person would say yes. I mean, what adult is going to want to sit next to a young child that is not theirs? The risk of being puked on, spilled on, and uncontrollable crying would be enough to make me move even if I have to give up a window seat for an aisle. Can't hurt to ask. I mean really, who wants to sit next to a kid that isn't theirs?

I'm reading this as the plane is a small commuter that only has one seat on one side of the aisle and two on the other. There isn't anyone next to the single seat.

o_mom
07-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Personal experience, which doesn't mirror your situation-
Lap child not allowed on the single seat side of aisle because there is not an extra oxygen mask for use during emergency. Apparently the side of hte aisle with 2 seats has an extra mask above. We've been through a few Continental flights where this was strictly enforced (we're a family of 2 adults, 1 child in purchased seat, and 1 lap child; which makes the lap child + adult sit next to the child in car seat).

Let us know how it works out.

Good point about the oxygen mask. They may not want a child sitting in the single seat because they cannot do their own oxygen mask.

They may shuffle them around, but I think you need to be firm that they treat an under 2 in a carseat the same as an over 2 child. If you had 3 yo twins, for example, what would they do? Most likely either seat one in the single seat or move one to the row in front of yours next to another adult. They would not make you hold a 3 yo unrestrained in that situation, so they should not make you hold an infant when you have paid for a ticket.

lmwbasye
07-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Okay, first yes, this is a small plane. So the two on the one side are the only two seats there. No such thing as three together on this plane.

Second, it looks like I'd have to maybe put my older child on his own on the other side of the aisle. Ugh. This just plain won't work. I'll have a screaming 3 year old. He has major anxiety, especially with flying, so will have to be next to me. My only realistic options would be myself and toddler next to me on the two seat side and infant (who is really really laid back and I feel would be fine there) on the single seat or the infant will have to ride in my lap. Oy, this stinks.

So, my question is, can the infant not sit in that single seat?

TIA!

Laurel
07-13-2008, 06:26 PM
b/c of the oxygen mask situation, I think they will say "no". I'd call ahead and find out and even try to get it in writing. Really, it will come down to the flight attendant.

o_mom
07-13-2008, 08:38 PM
What about the infant in the row ahead, next to the window - assuming you can find a passenger who will agree? I would just be polite and firm that you paid for a seat and your baby will use it.

kransden
07-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Ok, I get it now. It is about the 3 yr old. I know they won't/can't deprive the baby of it's paid seat. I seriously doubt they'll let the baby sit in the single seat. I would work on your ds on how exciting it would be to hold hands across the aisle from each other, and that is the rule on this plane. The biggest kid gets their OWN window!!! Good Luck on this one.

ha98ed14
07-14-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm reading this as the plane is a small commuter that only has one seat on one side of the aisle and two on the other. There isn't anyone next to the single seat.

Oh, got it. Sorry. Wow. That is a pickle. I am sending P&PT that it works out because I dunno what I would do!