PDA

View Full Version : BRU exchanging BPA bottles for....BPA bottles

Jacksmommy2b
07-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Just a quick note to make everyone is aware:

I brought my bottles to BRU (Montgomeryville, PA) to exchange and was told they only exchange in quantities of 3 bottle for bottle - but you have to pay any price difference for the new ones. (and only if all pieces were intact)

I bought a 2 pack of the Dr. Brown pieces to complete 2 that I had and went to exchange 9 of the 12 that I had. (2 extra Dr. Browns and 1 Advent that they wouldn't let me return b/c they weren't 3 packs)

I went to the shelf to find new bottles and they had tons - but when I checked the packaging there were no indications the bottles were BPA free. (they had the Advent disposeables that said BPA free, but not the original bottles packaging)
I asked an employee who said that all the BPA bottles were pulled from the shelf.

I took the new bottles back to the CS to exchange and mentioned to the manager that the packaging didn't say BPA free and she told me that's because they aren't BPA free.

Since there was no official recall they are still selling the BPA bottles. She said the born free bottles were BPA free and there were a few individual BPA free Dr. Browns but that was all they had. She said Advent didn't send BPA free bottles yet. So I asked her if they wer seriously letting me exchange BPA bottles for more BPA bottles and I was met with blank stares. Finally one girl said if I didn't 'heat them up too much' or 'scratch them they shoud be fine'.

So I tried to buy the Dr. Brown BPA free but since they were out of the three packs I would have to come back when they had them in stock to exchange. (they wouldn't let me exchange for the individual Dr. Brown BPA free or Glass and I could exchange for the Born Free 3 pack but they were really expensive.)

I realize BRU is doing a voluntary recall, and by law they don't have to let you exchange - but what in the world good is the exchange if you are just getting more BPA bottles?

Make sure to check the ones you got on exchange and make sure they really are BPA Free!

Radosti
07-12-2008, 10:58 PM
You must have hit the wrong employee there. I simply returned all my Avent bottles to that store. No exchanges. Got store credit. The Montgomeryville, PA store. And I got credit for individual bottles, not packs of three. They also let me return a brand new Avent Isis manual pump. I got Playtex Drop-Ins bottles and sleeves, and a Medela Harmony manual Pump.
I still have a bunch of money on the gift card left over.

Drag0nflygirl
07-13-2008, 02:36 PM
It may be a haul for you, but if you head down 476 to exit 3 and make a left, the Springfield BRU didn't have any limitations as far as three packs or things being in perfect shape. The also went over each and every BPA free bottle with me. They certainly didn't offer store credit on a card though!

Jacksmommy2b
07-13-2008, 05:47 PM
You must have hit the wrong employee there. I simply returned all my Avent bottles to that store. No exchanges. Got store credit. The Montgomeryville, PA store. And I got credit for individual bottles, not packs of three. They also let me return a brand new Avent Isis manual pump. I got Playtex Drop-Ins bottles and sleeves, and a Medela Harmony manual Pump.

Wow, I'm jealous! Did you exchange a while ago? I got the impression the employees were sick of dealing with the whole exchange. I also got the attitude I was trying to get something for nothing or beat the system. I never even asked for a GC or money back - just to exchange for the BPA free kind.

I dealt with the assistant store manager Ronni.

I'll call back and see if I can find someone who will give me the deal you got!

I did call the Springfield, PA store and they told me they would do the bottle for bottle exchange (as individuals - not 3 packs) but again I would have to have all the pieces. No store credit.

I also called the Exton, PA store and they guy I talked to was pretty rude. He told me it was a 'scare tactic' the bottles were fine to use per the FDA and they would exchange the bottles only if they were brand new in the package.

Crazy how the policies seem to change by day and employee.

tazzy
07-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I exchanged my BPA Dr. Brown's bottles for the non-BPA polypropylene kind with no problem at my BRU in Louisville, Kentucky. It was an even exchange. They just asked for all of the original parts and those that I was missing, such as the tiny brushes and a couple of caps, they took off the new bottles and kept. They took them out of the boxes and gave them to me in the plastic sleeves that they were stored in inside the boxes.

It was a piece of cake. The BRU employee told me that BRU was eating the cost of the exchange, that handi-craft wasn't giving them back any money for the BPA bottles.

jvorhis
07-14-2008, 10:05 AM
I should go down there then...Allentown was not taking any back.

maydaymommy
07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi

Saw that someone talked to a rude person on the phone at the Exton, PA store.

I took my bottles there about 2 weeks ago and I had no problem exchanging them. It was a little confusing for the sales people because not many people had done it yet.

I brought in 17 bottles, both Dr. Brown's and Avent. I left with 14 new bottles. They took all my old stuff and figured out a retail price for it. Then I had that much credit that I had to use right then to get other bottles. I did bring in full bottles (tubes, nipples, lids, rings, etc) but I don't think it would have mattered if I hadn't. I also brought two open packs of old Avent liners (I actually think those may have been bpa free already) and they added those in to my total as well.

Only prob was that there was not a huge selection of bpa free bottles left. I could have gone back two days later when the shipment was coming in, but I just wanted to take care of it when I was there.

Good luck!

leighgturner
07-14-2008, 08:50 PM
I exchanged all of my daughters Avent (Non-Tempo) bottles at a BRU in Richmond, VA. It wasn't a painfree process and I get the impression every experience is going to be different as it all depends on the employee you get.

I was clearly told numerous times that they couldn't give me a store credit even though they didn't have enough Avent Tempo bottles for me to exchange my regular Avent bottles for, so they said I could buy the Avent Sippy Cups, or I could buy the Born Free bottles, even though I was set on using Avent with our next child as well, not to mention my daughter is still using a bottle at night, she isn't even 1 yet. So I bought the sippy cups to use up my "exchange", and then kept the receipt and took them back on my next trip to BRU and exchanged the sippy cups.

They took each and every bottle back, they didn't hold me to the 3 bottle pack rule, however they were confused by ringing them up individually when I had 13 total. They told me I had to exchange my BPA stuff for BPA Free, so I could have bought anything that was BPA Free.

Also, keep in mind they have changed their return policy all together, beginning on July 1st, other than the BPA bottle exchange you have to have a receipt or have purchased it off your registry to make a return.

Drag0nflygirl
07-14-2008, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=Jacksmommy2b]
I did call the Springfield, PA store and they told me they would do the bottle for bottle exchange (as individuals - not 3 packs) but again I would have to have all the pieces. No store credit.
[QUOTE]
Two of my bottles were missing caps and they didn't care - but it's not like the ring-thingy or the nipple was missing. Of course if it was a nipple it would probably be worth it to buy a pack and turn one in with the bottle.

Babywhite
07-15-2008, 12:24 PM
sorry wrong forum

njk07
07-15-2008, 04:11 PM
I spoke to the manager in the Manhattan branch. She said they'll do one-to-one exchange but only for the Dr. Brown's (no Avents!). I asked if the bottles have to come in threes and she said "No" because they have the bottles in singles and not in packs. I'll go back sometime this week to bring the bottles. Seems like it's going to be a pretty simple process as the manager knew exactly what I was talking about.

Radosti
07-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I did mine about 6-7 weeks ago.

Wow, I'm jealous! Did you exchange a while ago? I got the impression the employees were sick of dealing with the whole exchange. I also got the attitude I was trying to get something for nothing or beat the system. I never even asked for a GC or money back - just to exchange for the BPA free kind.

I dealt with the assistant store manager Ronni.

I'll call back and see if I can find someone who will give me the deal you got!

I also called the Exton, PA store and they guy I talked to was pretty rude. He told me it was a 'scare tactic' the bottles were fine to use per the FDA and they would exchange the bottles only if they were brand new in the package.

Crazy how the policies seem to change by day and employee.

njk07
07-16-2008, 01:14 PM
I just came back from the Manhattan branch where I was able to get 6 Dr. Brown’s for the 5 bottles that I turned in. It was surprisingly painless! The manager I spoke to yesterday directed me to the Returns section and said that they should know what to do. True enough, they did. They had a Dr. Brown’s chart up the wall on how much each of the bottles I had were for. I only paid 4 cents for the difference.

I wanted to get some Born Frees too but they are much more expensive. Do any of you that had Dr. Brown’s prefer the Born Free now?

vball4all
07-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Just an FYI for those in the Dallas area...

I exchanged mine (even singles) about 3 weeks ago. They did not open the lids to inspect, although I had all the pieces (except brushes). I had called them several times over several weeks and they were always out and always telling to call back on XXday - they'll get a truck in but they don't know what is on the truck until they unload it. The bottles don't last very long at all and they don't offer merch credits either!

TRU will only exchange with a receipt (per my phone conversation)...so they are able to keep them in stock better.

I asked BRU about buying them at TRU, then "returning" them to BRU, then purchasing/exchanging them again...since I would effectively be putting those bottles in stock. I got an attitude and basically they didn't want to do that (probably no official policy on it - just didn't want to do it).

My BPA-free Dr. B boxes had a sticker on them that said BPA-free. Also, if you look at them, they are the cloudier looking bottles - you shouldn't confused with them with the BPA bottles.

I appreciate BRU doing this voluntarily, but, yeah, the associates are pretty irritated by the whole thing...because moms are irritated that the bottles are always out of stock. They certainly got my business/money that day!

WatchingThemGrow
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Did y'all ask if you could get other items? Mine gave me a chance to walk around the store and get the same amount of "feeding items" as I had credit.

Edensmum
07-25-2008, 07:18 PM

In packages or used ones?