PDA

View Full Version : Tips for hydrating a sick kid needed - ASAP

WatchingThemGrow
07-13-2008, 07:01 PM
DD(2) has got some gastric bug that's been through all of us in the past 4 days. The family barf count is 17. We've tried every cup/glass/foogo, unflavored, grape Pedialyte, fruit punch Liquilytes, 1/2 strength Gatorade, Hi-C, ice water, popsicles, and chicken noodle soup through a straw. Only cherry popsicles and the soup are working. We've already been to the dr. and have taken Zofran. She was borderline dehydrated this afternoon, and she blew out half the Zofran when she tasted it. DS seemed to be getting better, but DD is protesting to 95% of what is offered and is getting worse. Dr. said her next stop should be the ER for fluids if things don't get better. While I've been typing, she's sipped a good bit of chicken broth, so that's an answer to prayer. It's scary how lethargic/pale she was a bit ago.

Can you think of anything else we can try that has worked for your DC?

kristenk
07-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Crushed ice?

It's so frightening when DC isn't drinking enough. :hug:

cono0507
07-13-2008, 07:32 PM
I can relate. We had a nasty vomiting/diarrhea bug go through our house this week. DH is still sick today but the rest of us have cleared up. What works for my kids is unflavored pedialyte mixed with apple juice. I also let him have some watered down Sprite this week and that went well too (he's never had soda before but saw DH having his after throwing up and he wanted some too).

bubbaray
07-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Well, if she'll keep down the popsicles and soup, that's a great start.

What works here is Pedialyte pops. Also, when trying to get them to take pedialyte liquid (which tastes horrid IMO), only give 1 tsp/5 ml at a time, every 5 minutes. That's what they had us do at the ER when we were there with DD#1. You can try it via syringe if she won't take a spoon.

Once she's keeping down pedialyte (or cherry popsicles and soup), and has for quite a few hours (ideally overnight), I'd move on to the BRAT diet. Lots of people & docs swear it makes no difference, but it has always worked for us. Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.

Good luck!

catpagmo
07-13-2008, 07:37 PM
One time when DD was really sick, I gave her a teaspoon full of water every 10 mins...I set a beeper. It went down okay since it was such a small amount. It really helped. After about an hour of that, she was able to start sipping on Gatorade. My DD won't touch Pedialyte.

I second the toast. That also helps my DD.

Good luck, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

AngelaS
07-13-2008, 08:01 PM
None of my kids will drink pedialyte. I always just go the water/juice/soda/ light colored koolaid route. (Red koolaid stains the carpet if it comes back up!) Just keep giving a tiny bit at a time.

elephantmeg
07-13-2008, 08:02 PM
the other med option is phenergan suppositories (up the but) if she really can't stop vomiting. You've gotten good suggestions, good luck!

kep
07-13-2008, 08:03 PM
We have literally held down my youngest and force-fed him syringes of water while sick. They are the regular sized syringes from Target; I think they may hold 10cc's or so. We gave him one syringe full every 15 minutes. Wrap child in blanket to hold down arms (similar to a swaddle), squirt water slowly and gently inside cheek. Repeat often. :hug5:

We still ended up in the ER for fluids, but I know that we did everything we could. Hope it's better soon, mama.

ShanaMama
07-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Here's a strange suggestion my childhood ped once gave my mom: Get a can of peaches in syrup. Give DC one Tbsp (or tsp, I don't remember) of the syrup. An hour later give another. Then wait again and slowly move on to other liquids if the syrup stays down. (I forget exactly what liquid he recommended- maybe chicken broth?) I guess the syrup coats the stomach and the key is to take it slowly. FWIW, when I'm throwing up (preggo or otherwise) water is the worst thing. Always comes right back up & brings everything else up too. Sending get well vibes your way & I hope you can avoid the er.

WatchingThemGrow
07-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Thank you so much for all your ideas! The funny thing is that *I* would have picked up some of those same supplies you mentioned - Sprite, Pedialyte pops, applejuice as a mixer, Italian Ice, but DH was the one who went to the store. I was on the floor, nearly unconscious, night before last, so I was in no shape to go to the grocery. He got only what was on the list. Who does THAT???

This afternoon, we mustered up the strength to walk across the street to the pharmacy with both DC to get our 3rd jug of pedialyte (unflavored wasn't at the grocery). We'd done the syringe and tube thing for DS in the preceding days, but DD wouldn't let us get near her with it. The pharmacist gave us a syringe, and we tried it again since she looked SO bad. Sure enough, as I went toward her with the liquid, she leaned right over and barfed all over me and the BJCED, right there in the middle of the store. We were lucky to get the very last afterhours appt. at the dr. and get the meds.

After the popsicles and soup, she came to life again and we sat on her bed dressing up her little dolls until bedtime. I felt SO much better seeing her that way. Funny how I'd almost forgotten DS drenched me during her nap with another episode of his own. Our poor washer has been running ALL weekend long.

As soon as I get back from the store with more supplies for tomorrow (hopefully not tonight), I've gotta get that stroller cleaned up! I chuckle at the idea of swaddling her to try the syringe. Sounds like fun. Didn't someone else say that's how they have to brush DC's teeth?

Phenergan sounds like another fun option. You guys are just full of good BTDT advice :)

Ooh -peach syrup - she'd do that one!

Thanks again!

DrSally
07-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Glad to see you're not using apple juice. DS drank it when he had his week long gastro bug, but it exacerbated his diarrhea. DS also wouldn't do pedialite. I was just on the verge of being finished nursing, but we went back to 4 times a day during that time. That and soymilk were all he would drink. I agree about the small tablespoons of water, I think I've read that it's best to do small amounts frequently. Peach syrup sounds fun! Dr. Sears has some good suggestions but I can't open his site right now. Both Dr. Sears and my Dr. recommended Culturelle, which is a cap with good bacteria to help them get their digestive systems back on track. I don't know if it helped DS. I hope she gets better fast!

ThreeofUs
07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Hope all is better and you all start feeling well soon!

(Coming in late to discussion, no new info, just wanted to send some support.)

WatchingThemGrow
07-22-2008, 01:39 PM
I forgot to write back before we left on our trip! Thanks for all the support and great tips! DD was back on her feet the next day, and 2-3 days later she was running full-force again! DS held onto the bug for several more days, barely eating/drinking anything, and anything he did eat would come back up. We just kept doing Pedialyte with him since he would take it. Finally, after 10 days of barely having anything, he has practically doubled his intake of fluids and solids. We're ecstatic since he was down to the 5th%ile. Thanks again!

citymama
07-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Glad to hear everyone is better! Sounds like an awful time. Have a great trip!