PDA

View Full Version : Which TJ's cereal is healthy and tastes good?

niccig
07-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Weird question, but I have a reason. DH's dad just had open heart surgery, and DH has cholesterol issues. Generally DH is good about what he eats, but he won't eat breakfast and then close to lunchtime, he'll scarf down what is available. eg. Movie theatre at 10am, he wants to buy nachos. I got on his case because he told someone that he's cholesterol levels are up because I'm not cooking enough fish - yeah, it's the lack of fish that's causing problems and not the movie nachos with plastic, chemical ladden cheese :31:

He said he'll eat breafast cereal, but he doesn't like the cereal DS and I eat - Flax flakes /Weetabix / granola. DH grew up eating all sugary cereal, so he considers healthy cereal to be like cardboard. Is there a cereal available at TJ's that is like Smart Start cereal - DH said this is cereal he eats at work for breakfast, but I more often at TJ's than the regular grocery store. Any other cereal at TJ's that are healthy but taste good and not cardboard as DH describes my cereal?

Thanks....

cono0507
07-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Not necessarily TJ's, but I broke my DH's Sugar Pops and Cinnamon Toast Crunch habit by introducing Raisin Bran, which he has come to love and has eaten daily for a few years now after a lifetime of sugary stuff. I had to ease him into Raisin Bran by first having him try Raisin Bran Crunch, though.

niccig
07-13-2008, 07:45 PM
That's a good suggestion. I can over time wean DH to a better cereal. Maybe I should just start with getting him to eat breakfast, and then overtime swap out what cereal it is.

SnuggleBuggles
07-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Shredded Spoonfuls by Barbara's is really tasty! It's like Life cereal but multigrain. It's not a TJ's brand but they sell it there.

Beth

Tondi G
07-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Gorilla Munch is yummy... not super good for you but it tastes good!

http://www.naturespath.com/products/cold_cereals/shaped_cereals/gorilla_munch

I bet your hubby will love it!

o_mom
07-13-2008, 09:00 PM
The kids love Kashi Heart to Heart cereals. TJs carries some of them.

caheinz
07-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Gorilla Munch is a good one (not TJ's brand, but they have it). TJ's also does "Joe's O's" in a number of different varieties, including one that has dried berries mixed in.

They also have quite a selection of granola. The all-fruit granola (no nuts) is yummy mixed with some yogurt...

lowrioh
07-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Barbara's Puffins are also really good.

JTsMom
07-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Kashi Autumn Wheat is good. It is lightly sweet- I want to say 8g of sugar. Might be a good in-between cereal.

How about oatmeal? You could jazz it up with a touch of brown sugar or honey, some cinammon, and fruit or a heart healthy nut of some sort. I LOVE bananas and pecans in oatmeal- yum! I also put a splash of milk in mine. 2 mins in the microwave, and you're ready to go. Plus, it's supposed to help lower cholestorol.

lizajane
07-13-2008, 11:02 PM
kashi cinnamon something or other that looks like shredded wheat is good. and the kids got the strawberry yogurt o's and liked those.

urquie
07-13-2008, 11:52 PM
i really like the kashi cereals and tj's sells a few of them. they are great way to get some protein in dd :)

niccig
07-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks everyone. I go to TJ's and I'll keep working through the list until I find one that DH likes. DS likes TJ's dried strawberries on his cereal, so I'll try that and other things to jazz up the cereal.

o_mom
07-14-2008, 07:50 AM
That's a good suggestion. I can over time wean DH to a better cereal. Maybe I should just start with getting him to eat breakfast, and then overtime swap out what cereal it is.

My DH likes cereals with a bit more sugar than I want the kids to have. So what I do is buy a plain cereal that is similar and mix them. If DH has the Yogurt Berry Cherrios, I buy plain O's and mix them. I even bought some of those big plastic cereal containers and will mix whole boxes at a time. You can get plain bran flakes to mix in with flake cereals, Rice or Corn Chex for other varieties of Chex. Plain shredded wheat for the frosted ones, etc.

What are his favorites right now? Maybe we can suggest some that are similar but slightly better.

Puddy73
07-14-2008, 09:47 AM
My DH is not a fan of most healthy cereals, but he really likes Kashi's "Honey Sunshine" cereal (like a healthier version of Cap'n Crunch) and Frosted Mini-Wheats.

DrSally
07-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah, it's b/c you're not cooking enough fish, nice try.....

I think TJ's regular o's might be a good choice. The oats are supposed to be good for your heart. DH mixes reg o's with a bit of honey nut o's to make it sweeter, but not too sweet. I like Kashi version of "shredded wheat", it has very simple ingred. Life cereal has oats and is a little sweet. DS eats this all the time. How about hot oatmeal. We take one sweetened packet and mix it with plain oatmeal to make it sweet but not too sweet.

ETA: Barbara's puffins are also good, as pp said. I agree that he needs to eat some sort of breakfast and stop blaming you!

niccig
07-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah, it's b/c you're not cooking enough fish, nice try.....

I agree that he needs to eat some sort of breakfast and stop blaming you!

Don't worry, he can try all he wants for blame but he's the one that has to make healthy choices. He's just spent a week with his Dad in hospital after heart surgery. It's scared the bejeebees out of him. I gave him a taste test today of cereal, and he choose the Kashi Go Lean, which I had bought for me. I put dried strawberries on it, and he said it was OK because of those. We're going to have breakfast as a family as DH isn't home in time for dinner. I'll play around with cereal options, whole grain english muffins, oatmeal etc to give us some variety.

WatchingThemGrow
07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
My DH eats more than should be legally possible for breakfast, but he did take a liking for my cereal when I was into Go Lean.

He should pronounce it the way my DH does, just to make it sound more interesting...GO lee ahn. It kinda rolls off your tongue.

We also discovered the crumbs (there are a lot of them!) are tasty atop sliced fruit/berries and plain/vanilla yogurt.

DH also does his own bagels with hummus. Again, a ridiculous amount. It happens before I get up, so I forget to complain about it except when he's almost out of breakfast foods every 3 days.