PDA

View Full Version : Luggage - camping and beyond

KBecks
07-14-2008, 09:18 AM
All our luggage is old and getting worn out. We have 2 suitcases and an overnight bag and a couple backpacks in working condition.

I've been waiting to purchase luggage until we actually have someplace to go... it doesn't make sense to buy until we have a trip going.

That said, we are going on an overnight camping in August. I'm not sure what kind of luggage a person takes camping. We can bring the suitcases and probably fit all our stuff for a short trip for all of us.

However, I'm wondering if we should look at something inexpensive and more camping appropriate? I'm wondering about duffels for the boys as a possibility.

What kind of luggage do you take camping? Are suitcases going to be a PITA? We will have the minivan to keep all our things in while we're camping. Since we'll be purchasing other items for camping like sleeping bags (any recommendations for good value?) I'll skip bags if our things will work, but also since we could use luggage, I'm OK with buying something reasonable if it will make our trips easier and can be used for future trips as well.

Do your kids have their own luggage bags that they actually use for their things (rather than a play luggage). I do see the inexpensive kids rolling bags at Target but are they useful?

Thanks!

deannanb
07-14-2008, 10:05 AM
What kind of camping are you doing?
drive in the car to a cabin?
drive in the car, park, walk to pitch a tent?

what do you need to bring other than sleeping bags?
if you are going to be in a cabin, do they have cooking utensils?

How long are are you going to be gone? just one night?

I wouldn't buy new suitcases for an overnight camping trip -
you can throw a few clothes for everyone into a backpack -

my 12 year old has this backpack to take on his boy scouts campouts every month... He taked 2 changes of clothes, a sleeping bag, and other camping gear for the specific campout.
http://www.rei.com/product/747523

ThreeofUs
07-14-2008, 10:09 AM
We bought duffle bags for each member of the family (from LLBean, if that matters) and use them for just about all of our travel.

We camp 2-3 weekends a month, and duffles are very easy to manage for this - for example, they can be stuffed in the foot wells of our wagon to form a bed for the dog. When camping, I also take a couple plastic dirty-clothes bags, a backpack for all of our bathroom/bathing/first aid needs, and DS/DH shoes in plastic bags because they get so dirty.

If we're going on a plane trip, the duffles serve as perfect carry-on and we roll them on a light collapsable luggage wheelie. On business trips and when toting suits, etc., I take a wheeled pull-behind bag.

HTH - and have a great time!

WatchingThemGrow
07-14-2008, 10:20 AM
We haven't camped w/ our DC yet, but SIL got the same LL Bean duffles w/wheels for each of her kids. They use them for everything - and will for years to come. They got the coordinating toiletry kits, too - all monogrammed free/purchased with coupon dollars from LLBean Visa applied toward them. Sounded great to me! That's our plan when we need to supplement our Samsonite set. Seems like that will be perfect for sleepovers and sleepaway camp later.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=rolling-adventure-duffle&categoryId=35986&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4518&cat4=2911&shop_method=pp&feat=4518-tn&np=Y

hillview
07-14-2008, 10:32 AM
We bought duffle bags for each member of the family (from LLBean, if that matters) and use them for just about all of our travel.

:yeahthat:
Not camping specific but, we have 2 of the gigantic duffles and can pack for a family of 4. We've used them for 2 weeks including a week of diapers (x2 kids), formula and baby food (for a week) in them. We don't use a wheel cart but it is a nice idea!!
/hillary

MontrealMum
07-14-2008, 10:43 AM
We usually use duffles or backpacks when camping - although we rarely car camp. Duffles are easier to see things/find things in though. LL Bean would be my first choice too, although Eddie Bauer used to have some nice bags. I just love the idea that you can get everything you need in one place with LL Bean: bag, shower caddy, insulated lunch bags, camp chairs etc. I have this bag: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=adventure-duffle&categoryId=33458&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4522&cat4=2915&shop_method=pp&feat=4522-tn&np=Y which is great because it comes in multiple sizes and colors, can be monogrammed (with each DC's initials?), and has a rolling option. If you'll be sleeping in a tent, it's nice to have a few, smaller bags for everyone. That way if it rains you can take what you need into the tent with you and wait it out, rather than going in and out in the rain and tracking mud and pebbles into the tent.

KBecks
07-14-2008, 10:51 AM
This trip is just an overnight in a place where we park the van and sleep in a tent, so we really don't need anything special. I would like to also think ahead though. In terms of travel, we don't do a lot, we'll do a few overnight and camping trips that are close to home, and then every few years we'll do an air trip.

I think we will need more bags at some point, especially with 3 kids.

brittone2
07-14-2008, 01:46 PM
We use suitcases but we camp in a pop up so we have room to stick them in there without any trouble. I actually just roll stuff up and DD's things fit in a very small duffle. DS has his own suitcase that he likes using, and I usually stick some books and 2-3 small toys in there for him. DH and I share a small suitcase.

For tent camping I'd probably use backpacks/duffels or whatever you think will fit well in your car for traveling.