PDA

View Full Version : Tips for San Francisco Trip

kellij
07-14-2008, 06:24 PM
We're going to San Fran next Wed through Saturday. We're staying at the Omni (to give you an idea of where we'll be located).

My husband has meetings Thurs and Fri.

What is not to be missed? What are the great places to eat, see, shop, etc. I figure if there is any shopping to be done, it will be during his meetings. :)

We got a guide book, but would love "insider" info!

Thank you!!

Kelli

StantonHyde
07-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Go to www.fodors.com (http://www.fodors.com) under the chat board/messages--go to the USA, California forum and search for "Stu Dudley San Francisco". This guy is a travel guru and he has this post that could be its own guidebook!!!

MartiesMom2B
07-14-2008, 08:06 PM
For places to eat check out www.egullet.com. In the forums there is a pinned thread just for San Francisco eating. I followed the suggestions there and it was really good.

shilo
07-14-2008, 08:37 PM
is it just the two of you or will you have DC w/ you? some of my favorites up there if you're solo would be:

nice dinner place -
the old hawthorne lane, now called Two restaurant - chefs David Gingrass and Bridget Baston. it's a little bit into the SoMa area from where you are near the intersection of Howard and Hawthorne. Yum!

fun way to kill some time - take a cable car up to china town and then wander around, and stop for dim sum for lunch -
best cheap dim sum (not a fancy/$$$ 'dim sum palace' but good dim sum for lunch while you're wandering around china town, at reasonable prices) has got to be Hang Ah Tea Room on Pagoda Place (it looks like you walk into a trash alley to get there, but i swear, the restaurant inside is a gem!). the entrance on pagoda place is about 50 feet down Sacramento from the corner of Stockton right near the playground. don't order a lunch special, just try some of the small plates (char siu bao (bbq pork buns), siumai/shu mai (chicken/pork dumplings, sometimes can have shrimp too), har gow (vegetable/shrimp dumplings), pot stickers and spring rolls are all perennial favorites and very tame ;). don't forget to try an order of the sesame balls with the almond paste inside for desert - double YUM!

if you can, try to hit the farmers market at the ferry building (pier 0) before you leave on saturday morning. it and the artist market across the embarcadero are a fun way to poke away a morning.

hth, lori

kransden
07-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Do not forget to bring warm clothes and dress in layers!!!!!!!! We were freezing in the morning and at night, it was in the 50s. Then it was nice and sunny later.

HallsofVA
07-14-2008, 09:26 PM
One of the best steak restaurants we went to while in San Francisco for business several times last year was Bob's Steak House, which is actually in the Omni! Don't be afraid to give them a try. You can't help but laugh at the big carrot they serve with their steaks!

kellij
07-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Thank you all so much for the suggestions!! This is a great help! It's just going to be DH and me. First time alone on a vacation in 3 years!!! Woohoo!

AddiesMom
07-14-2008, 09:52 PM
I really enjoyed the Alcatraz night tour, need to buy tickets in advance.

katydid1971
07-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Beach Blanket Babylon. Get tickets asap. Its for adults only but it so much fun!!!! You can take a cable car there from your hotel or its a doable walk. Also catch a bus out to the cliff house for breakfast then up to the Legion of Honor. And don't miss the Asian Arts Museum. Have fun