PDA

View Full Version : disposable diaper blowouts - what can I do???

pookee
07-14-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm at the end of my rope here. DD is 20 months old (size 4 diapers) and we've tried Huggies, Kirkland, and Pampers and they all leak (both pee and poop). They all tend to sag a bit in the crotch when there is even the tiniest bit of pee in there.

What do I do? I can't go on like this, changing her cribsheet after every nap and nighttime sleep - baby #2 is 4 months away and DD definitely won't be potty trained by then.

Help!!

WatchingThemGrow
07-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Are you using Cruisers and do you have multiple Ultimate Crib Sheets? Those things helped us during those events.

ha98ed14
07-15-2008, 01:26 PM
My DD is 13 mo old and I have never had a blow out. I think it is because I keep her in a biggish size diaper. I move her up as soon as she enters the range for the next size diaper. Like now she is about 20 pounds. I have her in size 3, which I think are good until 28 pounds, but size 4 starts at 26, so I will switch to size 4 before she out grows size 3. I just do it because another mom friend told me that you have more blowouts if the diper is too small, so I go with bigger is better, but not so big that it falls off... I use Pampers because that is what works for her, but I am aware that diff kids bodies need diff dipes. Try moving her up a size and see if that helps.

o_mom
07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
I agree - time to move up. Try a small package of size 5 and see how that works. The size ranges on the packages are not in sync with reality, IMO.

egoldber
07-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Yup, I'd go to 5s. I just moved my 21 month old to size 5. And she is WELL below the weight range for 5s. She's barely in the range for 4s!!

vludmilla
07-15-2008, 05:26 PM
I've never had any blow outs with my 22 month old. I use 7th generation diapers and love them. Whenever I've used Huggies or Pampers I have hated the sagging diaper thing that you mentioned. It never happens with the 7th gen diapers. I think they are very much worth the price. I get mine from Amazon.

niccig
07-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Is it just at night time, or also during the day? For night time we used Huggies Overnights, the only thing that would hold enough pee for DS. He outgrew their size 5, so we now use normal size 6 Pampers for night time.

pookee
07-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I will try moving her up a size.

She leaks anytime she poops (they're not formed poops yet... still waiting on that one) and leaks almost any night.

It's all frustrating, but here's hoping that the next size up will work :)

JTsMom
07-16-2008, 10:13 PM
The only dipes that worked for us were Huggies Supremes. Every other brand leaked big time. Sizing up is definitely important too. At night, we'd do Huggies Overnights with a diaper doubler. After we found the winning combo, we rarely had leaks. It is a serious pain changing sheets every day, I feel your pain!

gatorsmom
07-16-2008, 11:59 PM
I had 2 heavy night wetters for a time and tried cloth inserts. These were WONDERFUL:

http://www.tykiediapers.com/

Not sure this link took you right to the insert but I got the Triple hemp doublers from this website. I used them only at night (since most kids don't poop at night so the doubler is only soaking up pee) and they were wonderful. I've used them with 2 kids already. hth

alirebco
07-19-2008, 12:48 PM
I would also try moving up a size in diapers but to be honest with you, the only thing that permanently stopped the blowouts for us was switching to cloth diapers. Probably not what you want to hear, but it has solved a ton of problems for us.

rbsmom
07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
My DD just turned 17 months, and she's been in a size 5 forever (at least for 5 or 6 months now). She's tall/average weight. I was too slow moving my first DD up to the next size diaper, and we used to have blowouts fairly regularly.

Also, some people do better w/different diapers. I used to use Huggies overnights w/my first, but with DD #2, she leaks every time. Pampers cruisers work better for her.