PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ballet shoes ...

Neatfreak
07-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Does anyone know if a store like Payless or Zellers or even Wal-Mart carries ballet shoes here in Canada? It's the basic pink leather kind with a suede sole and an elastic that I'd be looking for. I know that I could find them at specialty dance shops, but I can't imagine that would be the most cost-effective place to buy DD a pair!

I've checked the Cdn version of Zappos, but they only have adult sizes.

If anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it!

Piglet
07-15-2008, 10:41 AM
What about Once Upon a Child? I have seen them there (used). I am sure I saw them at a regular retailer, but I can't remember which one... I think you might need a specialty shop.

natmurr
07-15-2008, 09:47 PM
I think they are a regular item at Wal-mart. They have ballet, tap, and gymnastics shoes all the time. I sent my MIL in for some tap shoes for my DD's 3rd birthday. Don't know if she got them - I could be regretting that gift idea!

bubbaray
07-15-2008, 09:54 PM
I've seen them at Walmart and Payless. Zellers also sells the cloth ballet slippers.

BUT, honestly, the price was only a couple dollars cheaper than a local ballet specialty store. The quality is better at the ballet stores, plus you're supporting a local business, so that is where I purchased. I also got some leotards, tights, skirts -- all that was actually cheaper (and again better quality).

Maybe try to find a discount dance supply store near you?

Neatfreak
07-15-2008, 10:29 PM
I'd rather buy Bloch or Capezio if the price difference is less than $10, I have to admit. The dance instructor in our community is actually a professional dancer, so good shoes are really important to her. Thanks, everyone - I think I'll price out all of my options now!

bubbaray
07-15-2008, 10:46 PM
I'd go with Bloch -- that's what all the ballet studios around here require (unless, of course, your studio requires Capezio). I can't remember off hand what the price difference was on the leather shoes. I think it was $10 or less and the quality was sooooo much better on the Bloch. The Walmart and Payless shoes felt really cheap.

The stretchy (like gymnastics) slippers I got DD#1 for her rec class were only $1 or $2 more at the specialty store.