PDA

View Full Version : Baby names...again.

buddyleebaby
07-15-2008, 09:44 AM
We're still stuck on a girl name.
Everything I have suggested has been vetoed by DH, and DH is insisting on one name that I like but don't love.
So....
Throwing out ALL my rules and preferences, if you only had one choice and it was up to you to name this baby, assuming this baby is in fact a girl, what name would you choose?

Abigail, Evelyn, and ?

KBecks
07-15-2008, 09:50 AM
The first two names that jump to mind are Caroline (line not lyn) and Laura. Just picking one, I'd go with Laura.

Do I need to check the history of what the former options were?

Clarity
07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
My first thought was Charlotte. I'm having the same problem here though, best of luck!

boolady
07-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Julia.

(That was my immediate response. I do also like Caroline and Charlotte. I also LOVE Elsa.)

elliput
07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Isabelle

:D

ilfaith
07-15-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't know what your rules are, but since you have already chosen two lovely classic names that are feminine, but strong, I'll suggest...

Julia
Caroline
Susannah
Margaret
Claudia
Francesca

I'm guessing three-syllable names sound good with your last name. It also appears you like names that are not too trendy, but not too unusual.

ilfaith
07-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Hmm. Seems a lot of us are on the same wavelength with Julia and Caroline (the first two names to pop into my head).

MNmomtobe
07-15-2008, 10:12 AM
I love the names Ella and Claire.

IMO the names Abigail and Isabelle are WAY too common(no offense). Even the name Ella may be getting there too. I think those are beautiful names but wouldn't want my DD in a class with 2-3 other girls with the same name.

LBW
07-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh, there are so many great girls names (that I will never get to use)!

Jane
Zoe
Claudia
Penelope
Marisa
Charlotte
Laura

thomma
07-15-2008, 10:53 AM
First name to pop into my head: Olivia

good luck-
Kim
ds&dd 5/03

Melbel
07-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Katherine
Caroline
Charlotte
Lauren
Eleanore
Alexandra

all come to mind. I named DD2 at the hospital, so I definitely have a problem picking just 1! ;)

annasmom
07-15-2008, 11:49 AM
I just picture you going with a really feminine name. Here are a few, not very original suggestions:

Charlotte
Caroline
Lauren(l)
Hannah
Sophia
Isabelle
Julia
Ella
Holly
Sarah
Meghan

megs4413
07-15-2008, 12:20 PM
bahh...i think it's a boy. ;)

The first name that popped in my head was Elise.

Puddy73
07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
I think Olivia fits well with Abigail and Evelyn.

Tondi G
07-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Paige or Olivia

buddyleebaby
07-15-2008, 12:33 PM
bahh...i think it's a boy. ;)

LOL, Megs!
Me too. But the rest of the family disagrees.

ThreeofUs
07-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Eleanor (nicknames = Leah, Nora, Ellie)
Marguerite (after the small daisy that grows beside French roads... hopelessly romantic)

fortato
07-15-2008, 12:47 PM
I heard this one today- Makita.

But I think you really need to go with your gut. Sue B'marine.
Or, Knox.

WatchingThemGrow
07-15-2008, 12:55 PM
I like Clara with those. Another vowel may be a tongue-twister for people saying all three names, kwim?

MNmomtobe
07-15-2008, 12:56 PM
I love the names Ella and Claire.

IMO the names Abigail and Isabelle are WAY too common(no offense). Even the name Ella may be getting there too. I think those are beautiful names but wouldn't want my DD in a class with 2-3 other girls with the same name.

ETA: Just to clarify, I didn't realize you listed the two names of your girls. I thought those were names you were considering so far. Duh, sorry! Again no offense about the comment about the name Abigail. It is popular of course because it is a beautiful name. :)

Drag0nflygirl
07-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Paige or Olivia
Paige came to mind for me too.
Also:
Avery
Morgan

buddyleebaby
07-15-2008, 01:02 PM
ETA: Just to clarify, I didn't realize you listed the two names of your girls. I thought those were names you were considering so far. Duh, sorry! Again no offense about the comment about the name Abigail. It is popular of course because it is a beautiful name. :)

No offense taken here. DH had his heart set on Abigail (because of its meaning) before we knew it had become so popular. She'll probably have many name buddies throughout her school days but what can I do? :shrug: :)

elektra
07-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Charlotte, Julia, Malia, Jacqueline, Tessa

almostmom
07-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Ayla, Avery, Liana, Alexandra, Grace, Bea (Beatrice), Hazel, Elissa, Ava,

Just some that come to mind.

Can't wait to hear what you choose!

HIU8
07-15-2008, 01:21 PM
I like Ava or Olivia or Taryn.

willow33
07-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Another vote for Tessa...beautiful name and definitely not overused :)

Good luck!!

MommytoEliana
07-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Between Abigail and Evelyn, I prefer Evelyn, mainly because Abigail has been pretty popular over the last few years. How about Evangeline?

A friend of mine just had her baby and named her Kierally. Doesn't fit at all with the style of the names you've suggested, but I think it's a beautiful name!

ETA: I, too, didn't realize that you had listed the names of your daughters. Hmmm...I do like Caroline, as has been suggested by several. Olivia is pretty but so popular...same with Sophia. Maybe Adriah?

newmomto1
07-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Abigail was on our list, I love "Abby".
I really like Isabelle or Isabella (love Izzy!!)..unfortunately, DH hated that :(
Another favorite of mine is Jordan (Jordy or Jorie)
We ended up with Alexandra & I love it! DS calls her Allie :)

gatorsmom
07-15-2008, 06:48 PM
I love the names of your first 2 daughters. The first name that came to mind- it seemed to roll off my tongue after saying the first 2 girls names- was Amelia. Like the first 2 it's pretty, feminine, classic, not all that common, and starts and ends in a vowel. jmho

sarahsthreads
07-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Valerie?

That was the first name that popped into my head. (Probably because I have nieces named Abigail and Valerie.)

Sarah :)

shilo
07-15-2008, 09:12 PM
hmm, i'm feeling a soft M or a soft S with those. i kinda agree with whoever said another vowel might make it hard when saying all three in a row.

what about:
marisol or sarah?

lori

kijip
07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
She'll probably have many name buddies throughout her school days but what can I do? :shrug: :)

As a Katie, I went through school with MANY name buddies (since it is short for the generally popular Katherine, Kathleen, Kaitlyn etc) and I don't think it is a huge issue. For one, people know how to spell and pronounce common names. Also, it's fun to have a friend with the same name. :)

C99
07-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Rosemary

bubbaray
07-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Sophia came to my mind

megs4413
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM
LOL, Megs!
Me too. But the rest of the family disagrees.

are they interested in putting money on it? LOL!

Are you telling your boy name?

What does Abigail like? I know it's silly, but Maddie definitely influenced me when we named Jack.

cvanbrunt
07-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Everything I have suggested has been vetoed by DH, and DH is insisting on one name that I like but don't love.

For every name that he or I vetoed, we had to suggest a mutually acceptable alternative to go in the hat. And not the same name repeatedly. That way, neither felt railroaded into a name. We also had an amazing complex statistical equation that we used to rank all the names.

Abigail, Evelyn, and ?

Charlotte. I really wanted to use that name.

amandabea
07-16-2008, 09:28 AM
several of the previously mentioned names came to mind, but the three I'm sticking with are Grace, Fiona, and Aubrey. Aubrey was never on my short list before, but lately I've had a change of heart. I also really like Lauren and Caroline.
My DD's name is Alexis -- that was the ONLY name the DH and I could agree on.

HIU8
07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I love the name Fiona (DH does not like it though--sad, I know), and Lauren is DD's middle name.

klwa
07-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Okay, unlike everyone else, I like the idea of continuing the vowel trend. I keep thinking Iris.

SASM
07-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Your first 2 DD names are beautiful and very feminine! :) I was thinking either Charlotte, Elsa, or Vivian (but I do not think that you would want to go that route now). I also LOVE Cathryn!

Good luck!

MommytoEliana
07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
I was thinking about your names again while nursing DS. How about Sylvia? Or Cecilia? The soft S would be pretty with the vowels in your first two names, i think.

buddyleebaby
07-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Thank you everyone for your input.
I am going to print this out!

Several people suggested Caroline, Charlotte, and Sarah.
All three were suggested to my husband previously and he's not a fan.
He vetoed Charlotte (which I think is beautiful) and said that Caroline and Sarah were "just ok". I think I may bring them up again.
He also doesn't like Clara. :32:

I was originally trying to avoid a third vowel because I have trouble NOW with two vowel names. I'm always calling my daughters by the wrong name, or combining their names into one (Abilyn, Evegail). At this point, I'm not worrying about it.

Megs, I asked Abigail and Evelyn for their input. Abigail wants to name a girl Kristen and a boy Diego. Evelyn wants to name a girl Emily Elizabeth and a boy "I want to sit on the potty". :ROTFLMAO:

Katie, when I was in school there was NO ONE with my name. Even if it was spelled the same, it was pronounced differently (Mine is Ah-lish-ah, most were Ah-leesh-a or ah-lee-see-ah). I met one girl at a girl scout event when I was around nine with my name and it was so exciting for me. Neither one of us could stop smiling.

KBecks
07-16-2008, 02:57 PM
I like Kristen and Emily Elizabeth! I like Diego too! :)

mama2g03
07-16-2008, 03:33 PM
How about Perla or Audrey? I also like Lauren, as ppd. What about Lillian or Lily or Lorelei?

mecawa
07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
The first name that popped into my head when I read your daughters names was Tess.

saschalicks
07-16-2008, 07:42 PM
I really like Chloe.

mdb78
07-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I really like the name Madeleine. I like it pronounced Madeleen not Madeline though.

Good luck! :)

fortato
07-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Megs, I asked Abigail and Evelyn for their input. Abigail wants to name a girl Kristen and a boy Diego. Evelyn wants to name a girl Emily Elizabeth and a boy "I want to sit on the potty". :ROTFLMAO:

Katie, when I was in school there was NO ONE with my name. Even if it was spelled the same, it was pronounced differently (Mine is Ah-lish-ah, most were Ah-leesh-a or ah-lee-see-ah). I met one girl at a girl scout event when I was around nine with my name and it was so exciting for me. Neither one of us could stop smiling.

I think Kristen is a great name ( c:

Growing up, I only knew ONE Alicia- pronounced the same way as you- my mother.... Now...
My best friend, my mother and my cousin I JUST found out about are all A-LISH-A's.
It's a trend.

You could name the baby Carson or Knox.

JTsMom
07-16-2008, 09:36 PM
There are so many nice suggestions here! I really like Olivia. Claire is nice too. I love that your girls names have that old-fashioned feel to them, so I'd vote for anything along those lines. If I had to come up with a suggestion of my own (and I suck at this) I'd say maybe Katherine.

JTsMom
07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Oh, and I think the baby is a girl, which is pretty much a guarantee that it's a boy. LOL

boolady
07-17-2008, 09:39 AM
He also doesn't like Clara. :32:

Ooooh. Not helpful, I know, but I love Clara, especially with your girls' names. Good luck!

Melaine
07-17-2008, 09:54 AM
I really like a lot of these names!
Has anyone suggest Louisa? I love it and it seems it line with your other names. Of course Louisa May Alcott is one of my favorite authors and I also know a little Louisa that is just precious!

Melaine
07-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Name discussions are so fun! I wish I needed to pick one :-(

mdb78
07-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Last night I couldn't sleep because this post popped into my head and it made me think of more names. lol.. :)

Here are some:

Kaitlyn
Courtney
Sabrina
Michelle
Rachel

I also thought that your daughter's names are ones that you would see in a Pottery Barn Kids catalog showing personalized furniture and towels. :)

LarsMal
07-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I asked DH, b/c he is obsessed with baby names, and this was a distraction form naming our nonexistent third child!

He said (without any examples of replies you've gotten):

"Charlotte is a good fit.

Also, off the top of my head:
Caroline
Lillian
Madeline"

He also likes www.babynamewizard.com

I guess if you type in a name it will give you examples of brother and sister names, or somthing like that.

ETA: (I'm tellin' ya, he's obsessed!) DH wanted me to add the following to his list!

Sophia/Sophie
Emma
Isabel
Scarlett
Rose
Victoria

Jo..
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Isabelle.:32:

Happy 2B mommy
07-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Your DD's names make me think of great names from literature. I like:

Lenore/Lenora
Veronica
Miranda (no, not a Sex in the City fan. A Tempest fan.
Juliet
Lydia

I also like Charlotte and Clara, but they've been mentioned so much already.

MONICA MARTIN
07-18-2008, 01:52 AM
If you are open to somthing different. My daughter's name is Nevaeh, it's HEAVEN spelled backwards. The name was discovered in 2000, not many Nevaeh's out there, however it has been becoming very popular that it was in the front page of THE NY TIMES last year and in Time Mag. at the same time, due to it's popularity. My daughter was born in 2003, and 2,159 Nevaeh's were named that year.

annasmom
07-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Grace (;) that is my new favorite choice for you!)

Camelia

Julia

Juliet

Victoria

Delia