PDA

View Full Version : outdoor hide a key holder

Babywhite
07-15-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm looking for a cute inexpensive hide a key holder for outside. I've seen a few that I like (ie turtle), but they are all $15 - 20. I really didn't want to pay that much for one. Anyone seen a better deal anywhere?

TIA for your help

kijip
07-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Is there a trusted neighbor that can keep your key instead? I would not hide a key in an unlocked box. If you had to, I would do it with something that is attached to the house and has a combination lock or something. I know of a couple of families that have been robbed with their spare key in the last year. It's pretty unsafe.

Happy 2B mommy
07-15-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree with katie. Intruders can spot those things in seconds. If you want to leave a key outside, you'll have to get creative.

When I was growing up, my mom found all sort of odd places to hide keys (no flower pots for her) At one point she kept a key in one of those magnetic cases that attaches to your car and stuck it to our outdoor big metal garbage can. she then put a bag in that hid the case. Of course, we never locked the doors when we were home or even to run errands because we lived in a really small, rural area. We only locked the door if we went camping for a week or something.

Kerri

Jen841
07-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Through the years, I have hidden keys on/in planters, grill, sandbox, window sills,.... good old tape and key works.

rupptopia
07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
It is not cute, but we have a magnetic combination key holder that we keep inside the storage part of our grill. Since it is magnetic, it is hard to spot on the inside of the grill unless you know it is there. And you have to know the combination even if you found it & knew what it was. I'm pretty sure we got it at Home Depot & wasn't very expensive.

I used it yesterday when 3.5 yr old DS locked us both out of the house! With the baby inside! Granted, I sent him to check on her to make sure she was still sleeping in her infant seat while I talked to the house painter. . .