PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist for a Dummy?

pinkmomagain
07-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm a Craigslist virgin, but the carp sitting around my house is making me set up an account to try to sell and get rid of it. I have a few questions (that I'm really embarassed to ask), andI'm hoping someone can help me out with;

- should I just wait for email replies to my ad or should I include my cell#?
- should I expect haggling over the phone? when they actually get the stuff?
- do I just say "OK" to the first person who meets my terms ($, location/time pick up)? Should I have people as 'backup" in case my first deal falls through?
- I've read I should set up a pick-up location (ie Target parking lot)...should I not let them see my car? should I not bring DD along?

Hmmm, I think that's it for right now. Any help would be appreciated!

lowrioh
07-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Putting stuff on CL is dead easy.
First off, you don't need an account, just an email address. You can choose to list an anonymous email address (that CL assigns you) instead of your own. That's what I usually do.

I only give the e-mail address, but that's because I hate the phone. I usually wait until I get one or two emails and then decide which one I want to deal with. Once I have a buyer lined up, I usually tell the other enquiries that I have someone but I will let them know if it falls through.

I always have them come to my house, but I make sure that my DH or a friend is at the house with me. I don't have the time to spend hanging out in parking lot, but that's just my preference. If you decide to meet in a public place, then I wouldn't worry about them seeing your car or your DC.

They might ask you in your email if you are willing to negotiate on the price. If you say yes, they will probably wait until the see the condition of the items before they make an offer. I price most of my stuff to sell so I haven't had any haggling.
You should expect no shows/people getting lost etc and probably some bogus offers that involve sending you a cashier’s check and having you ship the item. That said 90% of the time I have had very easy transactions both as a buyer and a seller.

WatchingThemGrow
07-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I never include my cell, although the annoyingly frequent posters on ours always do. I don't want to burn up my minutes. That happens enough already without someone else's help. There are lots of browsers on CL. Maybe putting a number gets on the more serious buyers?? good pictures, yes

Yes, expect haggling/low balling. I do it all the time, and people are sometimes just wanting to be rid of stuff. Sometimes not, so be reasonable...is it worth holding out for another dollar? Do a search on your items before pricing. The things you still see for sale are the ones that HAVEN'T sold, so they may be over-priced. The good bargains get gone instantly.

I've tried putting first come/first served and not putting it. Neither way is perfect. I'd just follow that policy and I try to tell people when they email that there are several people interested (if there are) and they should attempt to come get it as soon as possible. Hold onto back-up emails and offers.

Locations can be good or bad. You might be waiting on someone who is habitually late. They may get lost. Whatever. I ALWAYS talk to them on the phone and get a good vibe before meeting them. I try to do it somewhere I already need to go that will be busy. If it is hot, I wouldn't stay in the car. Call and tell them you'll be inside the mall or whatever. Keeping in touch with them around the time of meeting has been useful to me. Actually, I met a couple people at the same time/place the other day and it worked out nicely. DH and DC were in the car, and I did 2 deals on the way to the park.

If DH is home, I will have them pick something up on my front porch. I've even left the item and told them to put the money under the mat.

Gosh, sounds like I'm a Craigslist sleaze. Maybe I am...

lowrioh
07-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Also, remember to remove your ad once the item is sold. That way you won't keep getting emails asking about it.

WatchingThemGrow
07-15-2008, 12:50 PM
In my dealings, I've met some VERY nice, normal people. Only a few oddballs, so far. BUT...the scary nanny (old post-national news) came from our CL.

Let us know how it goes.

MNmomtobe
07-15-2008, 01:02 PM
In my dealings, I've met some VERY nice, normal people. Only a few oddballs, so far. BUT...the scary nanny (old post-national news) came from our CL.

Let us know how it goes.

If you are referring to the young lady who was murdered after answering a CL ad for babysitting, then yes I live in the area too. Scary stuff!

ITA with the other posters except I would be wary of people coming to my house. Not only for safety reasons but then they know your address and can be snooping around later, looking in your backyard, etc- "wow what a neat climber, or my daughter would like that playhouse". I would worry about my other stuff getting stolen.

About pricing, if I am unwilling to come down on price (I always ask for cash only also) I say in the ad that my price is firm. When I have mentioned that I haven't had anyone try to haggle the price down. If you don't get any interest, you can always edit the posting later with a lower price.

HTH and good luck!

pinkmomagain
07-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Thank you all so much for the replies!

ShanaMama
07-15-2008, 07:20 PM
I just wanted to suggest that you post pics. I am always more interested in listings with pics than those without.
Good luck selling.