PDA

View Full Version : Swim Instructors Wearing Two Swim Suits

belovedgandp
07-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Ok, maybe I'm old, out of touch or both, but I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this practice.

My 4 yo DS is taking some summer swim lessons. Most of the instructors are high school or college kids since this program has 4 2-week sessions in the summer. I'd say over half the female instructors wear two swimming suits most of the time. One suit over another full body suit. I just haven't found a comfortable way to ask why? so thought I'd ask here.

erosenst
07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Too funny. Abby's instructor does the same. I think it might be more supportive (?)

Can't wait to see the answers here.

schums
07-15-2008, 09:40 PM
I think it might be for more coverage. They're in the water with little kids hanging off them, and I'm sure they don't relish the thought of flashing a room full of their peers and parents. I know that my DC still will occasionally yank my swimsuit down too far in front when we are playing, and they're 6 and almost 5.

bcafe
07-15-2008, 09:56 PM
My oldest is a swimmer. The reason they wear two suits is because they are probably competitive swimmers. The top suit is called a "drag suit". It helps them swim stronger with a looser suit for resistance. You should ask them if they swim on a team!

bubbaray
07-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Actually, its probably just habit. Most competitive female swimmers wear two suits so that they feel "lighter" and faster when they swim in one racing suit.

I actually asked some of the lifeguards and instructors at our YMCA -- that is what they told me.

Many of the instructors at our Y wear shorty wetsuits. I'm thinking that is for the cold.

belovedgandp
07-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Very interesting. I was just curious. I noticed today because the top suit of one of the girls was falling apart. She'd tied knots in the fabric to keep it held together in the back. Then I started looking around and realizing most of them had two layers. They're doing lessons back to back in a junior high pool, so I don't envy the work they do for a day.

lilycat88
07-15-2008, 10:18 PM
By this time in the summer when I was teaching lessons daily and lifeguarding (in and out of the water for 12-13 hours a day), I'd wear 2 suits for coverage. Suits would start to fade and be a little thin but I wouldn't want to buy more "work" suits if I could get away with it. Also, they do get pulled in all directions. When I was swimming competitively, the second was a drag suit for a little extra drag in the pool.

kep
07-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Interesting, I never noticed. :D

salsah
07-16-2008, 12:39 AM
i used to swim and play water polo in high school, and taught kids swim lessons at the y. sometimes i wore two while teaching just out of habit.

swimmers wear two suits for added weight (when they race they will only wear one). ot but swimmers will also avoid shaving before a big meet so that they train carrying the extra weight of body hair and then shave / wax for the meet.

water polo players wear two because during games the suits are often ripped. so if you are going to play in two, you have practice in two or three so that you will be accustomed to extra weight of the second suit. (we also did the not shaving thing until big games)

and yes, the male swimmers and water polo players will shave / wax their bodies just before a big meet / game. (male water polo players also don't want any exposed body hair because it will get pulled.)

trales
07-16-2008, 09:31 AM
As a former lifeguard and swimmer I always wore two suits, they wear our really quickly and you don't want to buy more you layer two suits that are falling apart and see through and have only one good suit.

I do it now when I swim laps, I can afford bathing suits, but they wear out every 8-10 weeks and it kills me to spend money on them, so I wear and double them until they literally fall apart.

Corie
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
i used to swim and play water polo in high school, and taught kids swim lessons at the y. sometimes i wore two while teaching just out of habit.

swimmers wear two suits for added weight (when they race they will only wear one). ot but swimmers will also avoid shaving before a big meet so that they train carrying the extra weight of body hair and then shave / wax for the meet.

water polo players wear two because during games the suits are often ripped. so if you are going to play in two, you have practice in two or three so that you will be accustomed to extra weight of the second suit. (we also did the not shaving thing until big games)

and yes, the male swimmers and water polo players will shave / wax their bodies just before a big meet / game. (male water polo players also don't want any exposed body hair because it will get pulled.)

Yes, this exactly!!! I sometimes wore more than 2 suits.

DrSally
07-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Wow, I learn something every day. I've never swam enough to wear out a suit, but I bet if you're competing or teaching it would happen really fast.