PDA

View Full Version : Freaking out a little- had to have a biopsy today UPDATE

JTsMom
07-16-2008, 12:20 PM
The Dr. just called and everything came back fine! :cheerleader1: Woo hoo!!!! I don't even have to go back for a year! I'm a little in shock- I thought for sure there was something going on. Whew!

Thanks again to everyone for your support and for sharing your stories. It really helped more than I could tell you.
A little over a month ago, I had a pap done, and it came back abnormal. The same thing happened when I was 19, and both times I had to have a colpo done. Last time, the colpo went great, and they found nothing. This time, the Dr. found 2 areas that concerned him, and he biopsied both, and now I'm freaking out a little.

Please send good vibes my way, and if you have a story to share, I'd love to hear it.

niccig
07-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Ok, good vibes coming your way. I had abnormal pap and had laser surgery. No biopsy though. The surgery was overkill for my situation, but I was about to leave on extended round the world trip and wouldn't be able to have follow-ups. If you have to go this route, it's not too bad, and mine was several years ago, so I'm sure there's many more options now.
Keep us up-to-date and really really try to not google anything.
Hugs..

elizabethkott
07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
No BTDT, but great big (((((hugs))))) and p & pt coming your way.

caheinz
07-16-2008, 02:43 PM
The biopsies are just to check. Far better that they check things they aren't sure about than not.

Cervical cancer has excellent survival rates when its detected through these routes. It's really only dangerous when it goes undetected -- which it usually does without a regular pap smear, since it's generally without any other symptoms until it gets quite advanced.

:22:

The wait can be hard, but the good news is that the outcome is likely to be excellent regardless of the result.

ThreeofUs
07-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Sending good vibes your way. Never BTDT, but know I'd be pretty worried, too.

MMEand1
07-16-2008, 06:01 PM
{{{Hugs}}} P & PT coming your way!

Hope everything comes out fine!
Mariah P.

gatorsmom
07-16-2008, 06:22 PM
I had an abnormal pap a few years back and had to have cryosurgery to remove the cells. It was a day surgery and I was fine after that.

My SIL who was 28 had advanced cervical cancer that they found with a pap. She had a hysterectomy but was fine after that. She neglected her annual paps or the doctors would have found it sooner. She's completely fine now- didn't need chemo or radiation. Even for ADVANCED cervical cancer the treatment was just the hysterectomy (not that that is easy or anything, but obviously other cancers require many other treatments).(hth)

big hugs with p and pts coming your way.

JTsMom
07-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I've calmed down a bit. Too late on the not googling though-LOL. I suffer from google-itis. In this instance, it actually helped though. It really does seem like it's not the end of the world, even if it does turn out to be something that needs treatment. I think I was just really expecting them to not find anything to biopsy, and when they did, it was a bit of a shock.

Knowing that a couple of you had to have treatment, and that it went so well makes me feel much better.

I've been reading about LEEP- it seems like that is the most common method to use right now, but now they are finding it greatly increases your risk of miscarriage and pre-term births in future pregnancies. Does anyone know much about that? I really want to have at least one more baby (and soon) so that's something I'll have to really look into. After the drama surrounding my pg w/Jason and his birth, I don't really want to add anything else to the mix if I can avoid it.

ShanaMama
07-16-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm catching this late but I just wanted to add my good wishes & hugs. I guess this means you've gotten the insurance issues straightened out?

kristenk
07-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Good vibes heading your way! I agree that it's much better to get things checked out.

JTsMom
07-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks! And, no, the insurance STILL isn't totally straightened out, but I got enough info for the doctor's office, so at least I was able to be seen. Can you believe it?! DH ended up calling the healthcare rep's cell 5 times, and left him 5 voice mails, trying to get some help. The guy never called DH, but did call HR to complain about DH calling too much!!! Ridiculous!

TMI Warning:

So, those of you who have had this stuff done, after the colpo, did you bleed quite a bit? Sorry, this is gross, but I just passed a decent sized clot. The Dr. said to expect spotting, so I'm just wondering if that's normal. I hate to call him if it is.

SpaceGal
07-16-2008, 08:55 PM
I just wanted to chime in and say hi and I hope everything turns out okay. Keep us posted.

Jacksonvol
07-16-2008, 09:16 PM
I had a LEEP about ? 13 years ago. Yes, I did have more than "spotting" after the biopsy. I seem to remember it was much better w/in 24 hrs and was like my heaviest period ever. No probs. w/ the LEEP. Just remember to get someone to drive you home! Take any pain meds. they give you too. I was a little sore (but it was nothing compared to post-partum discomfort!).

Fast forward 8 yrs., I am an "older parent" with first preg. and no problems going to term.

It was really scary at the time, but everything worked out just fine. As much as I hate the yearly Pap, it is a good thing.

I'll be thinking about you!

JTsMom
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh good, another btdt- thank you! I'm so glad everyone has such happy endings! :)

KrisM
07-16-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm sending my thoughts your way, too. Keep us posted!

SnuggleBuggles
07-16-2008, 10:11 PM
I hope all is ok. I had 2 biopsies in my late teens/ early twenties. I have been fine ever since but it sure was scary! I didn't have anything more than spotting. I will insist on a yearly pap even if they suggest every 3 years (a recommendation I have heard).

Beth

Mamma2004
07-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I just came across this thread, Lori, and want to add all of my P&PT to the sea of support. Sending you lots of good wishes and looking forward to a positive update!

ShanaMama
07-16-2008, 10:26 PM
after the colpo, did you bleed quite a bit? Sorry, this is gross, but I just passed a decent sized clot. The Dr. said to expect spotting, so I'm just wondering if that's normal. I hate to call him if it is.

Don't want to give a definitive opinion, not having BTDT and not having any medical background. But I remember with my pp bleeding with DD I passed a large clot & freaked out. My midwife told me that bleeding (including menstruation) is always heavier with humidity. If you've been having weather anywhere near ours... that could do it. Also, heavier activity usually increases bleeding. But per my disclaimer I have no experience with your specific procedure.

ShanaMama
07-16-2008, 10:27 PM
I will insist on a yearly pap even if they suggest every 3 years (a recommendation I have heard).
Beth

Is this the new recommendation? Just curious who is suggesting this to you?

MontrealMum
07-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Just adding P & PT as well.

I had an abnormal pap and colpo with biopsy about 10 years ago as well and everything was fine in the end. I think there was some spotting and maybe a little light cramping? The recommendation from the doc after that was yearly paps and my insurance (still US back then) paid for it no problem. Since moving up here I've always gone with the thin-prep rather than regular pap since they're supposed to be more accurate. That wasn't an available choice back where I lived in the US way back then; although it's not covered under medicare up here, it makes me feel better since I did have that one abnormal result, and it's not that expensive for us.

Hope yours is nothing to worry about as well :)

JTsMom
07-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the support everyone- this is why I love this board. :love-retry:

And I'm not Beth, but I've heard some Dr's are saying once every 2-3 years is ok if you've never had an abnormal pap, and are in a monogomous relationship. I think if you had an abnormal one, that turned out to be nothing serious, they sometimes say after X period of time you can do that too. Cancer typically takes several years to develop, so there is some room to play with.

Also, my Dr. was saying today that with Gardasil, soon 2-3 years will be the standard rec. I think that's dangerous, personally, and I'll definitely be sticking with my yearly pap. Even if Gardasil works as well as they think it will, it only covers a few strains of HPV.

niccig
07-16-2008, 10:47 PM
I do every year as well. It's been years since my abnormal pap, but I don't want to mess around with this. I've never had a problem with insurance covering it.

JTsMom
07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Bumping for an update

ThreeofUs
07-23-2008, 06:51 PM
The Dr. just called and everything came back fine!

Yay! So glad to hear it! Celebration time!

brittone2
07-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Celebrating your good news :cheerleader1: :cheerleader1: :cheerleader1:

I hope you are breathing a BIG sigh of relief this evening!!

:yay: