PDA

View Full Version : Keeping DC Cool in Car: Sunshade? Window Tinting?

srhs
07-16-2008, 02:51 PM
We have an SUV with already tinted rear windows, and I have two EB sunshades on the window next to DS. Sun streaks still slip through, blinding and heating him. As much as I like my Keyfit for safety, that fabric does not breathe and that sunshade is worthless. DS gets furious when hot!!!
We have a LONG drive in the middle of the day on Friday, and I have to find something to block the sun.

HELP!

I saw the Protect-a-Bub, but there are no retailers near me, and I don't have time for shipping.
I went to my auto parts store to ask for some sort of window tinting screens but no luck.

TIA!!!
srhs

SnuggleBuggles
07-17-2008, 05:32 PM
How about a clip on fan? I think that would be more helpful than yet another window covering. Get the air circulating around baby. A store like Brookstone sells them and I bet you could find something at an auto parts' store or maybe Target. Look for a light weight one so it is less of a projectile risk. If you have a Right Start near by check there.
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=5945&cmSource=Search

GL! Just keep that a/c blasting and dress baby lightly in a onesie and use a light blanket if needed.

Beth

sste
08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I bought something from safety1st that adheres to the window (not with glue). It does not look great, it does not cover the entire window, and you can't roll down the windows all the way with it on . . . but it helps with the sun and is cheap.

Joolsplus2
08-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah, try window cling stuff (the roller shades are more like 'missiles aimed at your head' and you want to avoid them at all costs).... auto departments have 'limo dark' that I used to like...baby departments have the a few brands, the blue fisher price stuff actually seems good (comes in huge sheets, i've seen it really covering a window fully before). And I like the fan idea, just make sure it's attached solidly or you'll have another missile situation. (you shouldn't really have anything unsecored in your car that you wouldn't throw with full force at anyone's head... I'm not usually that anal, but it's something to think about when considering toys and sippy cups and fans and mirrors and whatnot :) )

srhs
08-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Oooohhhh, I love it when my question gets 'bumped' and I get more suggestions. :)

Thanks for the tips! I did end up buying some limo tinting, but DH got really frustrated with the install and was concerned it was too dark and therefore unsafe. (It could've been the fact that I sprung it on him late the night before we were supposed to leave town.)
I'll keep my eye out for better cling; do you know what a good % is for the cling...dark but safe to see out of?

We ended up moving DS to middle to get away from window.

Ick, we have the EB roller shades from Target. No good, huh? Missiles are not good!!!

So, give me the ruling on the mirrors since we are on the projectile topic. Are ANY of the mirrors lightweight or secure enough?

THANKS EVERYONE!