PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Moms- Simon Delivers is going out of business!

gatorsmom
07-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I just want to cry. I've had my groceries delivered by this company since I was 8months pregnant with my oldest DC. They were really reasonably priced and I could order my groceries at night online when everyone was asleep. They were delivered the next day. I have soooo depended on them. When the winter months were particularly difficult, when my husband was out of town for a week, they came through for me. I'm not sure why they are going out of business (maybe the cost of gas?) but they sure are.

The really crappy thing is we have very few decent stores to choose from up here where I am. I really only have 3 stores to choose from. No Whole Foods, Trader Joes, or Costco. Not even a SuperWalmart. The nearest SuperTarget is 45minutes away in bad weather.

I'm not sure how many moms here are from Minnesota or northern Iowa but I just wanted to lament this to someone! grr I hate change.

(sorry if this should have gone in the bitching post. not thinking clearly here- I'm in mourning).

DrSally
07-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Shucks! I was planning on using them when DC #2 comes, as I think it'll be hard to get out of the house in the winter.

elektra
07-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I just wanted to say I'm so sorry! I think you are awesome for managing 4 kids including twins plus living in a cold and snowy place like Minnesota.
I have a milk delivery service now and I love it even though I have stores close by and live where the weather is basically pretty nice 95% of the time.
Your posts about having to hunker down in your basement and such just blow my mind. I can't even imagine.
I think you rock.
:bowdown:

gatorsmom
07-17-2008, 10:47 PM
I just wanted to say I'm so sorry! I think you are awesome for managing 4 kids including twins plus living in a cold and snowy place like Minnesota.
I have a milk delivery service now and I love it even though I have stores close by and live where the weather is basically pretty nice 95% of the time.
Your posts about having to hunker down in your basement and such just blow my mind. I can't even imagine.
I think you rock.
:bowdown:

Thank you so much! you really made my day. I'm hard on myself a lot of the time about so many things. Negative thoughts really can wear you down, you know? So, your post came at a great time. thanx again. :)

casey0729
07-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Lisa,

Apparently Lunds and Byerly's also deliver - though I do not know much about the pricing there. I would guess it's spendier than SD was. I saw in the Strib that there is something called Gopher Groceries (or Gopher something) that is similar. You might want to Google that. Or check the Strib online.

I finally looked at a map of the Metro the other day. Holy crap, you do live far away from me!!

gatorsmom
07-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Lisa,

Apparently Lunds and Byerly's also deliver - though I do not know much about the pricing there. I would guess it's spendier than SD was. I saw in the Strib that there is something called Gopher Groceries (or Gopher something) that is similar. You might want to Google that. Or check the Strib online.

I finally looked at a map of the Metro the other day. Holy crap, you do live far away from me!!

You know, I did a little more research on delivery services last night. I read about Gopher Grocery and Lund/Byerly's too. Gopher Grocery doesn't deliver to our area but Lund's does. Wahoo!! I'm very relieved about that. We don't have a Lund's/Byerly's near us, but I've heard they are very high quality. I checked the prices and saw that they have a lot more things on sale than Simon Delivers had and the rest of the prices were more on some things, less on others. I'll probably use them for produce and other food and I'm thinking of using Amazon's Subcribe and Save for organic and environmentally friendly products. anyway that's what I"m thinking. Thanks for the suggestions!!

And yeah, we live far from you. Sometimes it feels like we live far from everything (well, except the mosquitoes :( )

haraldsworth
07-18-2008, 05:31 PM
I've used Byerly's pick up service a couple of times and it's really nice. You just to the drive thru and load you up. Plus, they also have good specials online.

Hope that it works out for you!