PDA

View Full Version : Have you had a child diagnosed with ADD or ADHD?

jess_g
07-16-2008, 09:17 PM
For many reasons I think my son has ADD. He is 8 1/2 and has trouble finishing tasks and has trouble paying attention for more than 15 minutes on a task. He also always changes the channel before a show ends or a song ends and does other similar stuff. He is however not very hyper. I am finaly realizing its ADD but don't know where to start to get him the help he needs. I will make an appointment with his docter but are there docters that diagnose ADD and ADHD that I can go to? I would like someone we can see for a few visits to get a plan worked out for him. Any advice on where to start would be great.

Thanks,

Jessica.

JTsMom
07-16-2008, 09:28 PM
I haven't btdt yet, but suspect I might be in the the future, so I've done a little research. DH had severe ADHD as a child.

askdrsears.com has a lot of good info, so that might be one place to start.

Sorry I can't add much more, but lots of luck.

jake's daddy
07-17-2008, 03:06 AM
There are many professionals out there that can help you. ADD AD/HD are very common, occurring in 5% of children.

Because it is so common, Pediatricians will usually be able to help you out themselves, or by making a referral to someone who can. If you are comfortable with your Pediatrician, I would ask him/her about the issue and his/her comfort level in handling it or referring you to someone who is.

Clinical Psychologists are often a great resource or you can go with a Psychiatrist. The former will focus on psychological/behavioral/environmental treatment, while the latter will focus on medical treatment (most likely). Medicine plus Behavior Parent Training is typically described as the most likely to produce positive response, but newer treatments are also being utilized (such as Cog Med's working memory training).

By definition, ADD occurs in more than one setting (e.g. home, school, community), so gathering information from teachers, scout leaders, coaches etc. is important. Computerized testing (called Continuous Performance Testing) can also provide objective information about a child's attention and impulse control.

Not all students with AD/HD have hyperactivity. What used to be called ADD is now called "Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Predominantly Inattentive Type" - Isn't ADD easier?

CHADD www.chadd.org is a wonderful national organization that provides information and local support groups.

Hope this helps
Jake's Daddy

pinkmomagain
07-17-2008, 07:58 AM
I second much of what Jake's Daddy said. My 9 yo dd was dx with ADHD - Inattentive type this year by a psychiatrist. In many ways, she does not appear as many would typically think of someone with ADD.

We both met with the psychiatrist, then he had me, my husband, and my dd's teacher fill out a checklist. Based on all this info, he determined my dd's dx. We chose to go the med route....very slowly and cautiously. After we felt like she was at a helpful dosage, without ANY side effects, the dr. again had us and the teacher do the checklist to see how/if things had changed. She showed significant improvement in several areas, and she herself says that when she is on the med during the school day she is better able to concentrate. It hasn't helped her with EVERYTHING, but it does make her school day go better....which is essential for her self-esteem.

I have read many good books, and one is Driven to Distraction- Edward Hallowell.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help.

lizajane
07-17-2008, 08:20 AM
i just had my child evaluated by a psychologist for a number of reasons. i suspected ADHD, as he is very hyper (but actually can focus on certain things.) we had trouble at home and at school- his teacher called me in. it turns out, his ADHD symptoms are most likely the result of a much larger problem. he has OCD with obsessive thoughts (without compulsive actions that would be easy to diagnose). if we had asked to have him evaluated for ADHD, it is possible we could have missed the correct, and way more serious, diagnoses all together.

i recommend you see a psychologist who is well trained in evaluating children his age. it was harder for us to find someone who worked with preschoolers, so you should have less trouble. instead of asking for an ADD evaluation, just tell the psychologist what the symptoms are that concern you. allow the professional to determine the problem, whether ADD or anxiety or just age appropriate distraction. i recommend a psychologist instead of a psychatrist, as you MAY find that a psychatrist would be more likely to want to go right to meds. (but i could be wrong.)

good luck.

pinkmomagain
07-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Just wanted to jump in and say that we did see a psychiatrist because we wanted to have the med option....however, he did not push meds in anyway. I went in knowing that it was something I wanted to explore because I felt that it was impacting my daughter horribly (self-esteem, boarderline depression, social issues) and was looking to quickly try to improve her situation. Do some psychiatrists push meds? I'd imagine some do. But it hasn't been my experience.

I should also say that we got a less official ADHD dx a year or two prior when we got dd neuropsych testing. Like I said,my daughter presents in some "fuzzy" ways and I've found neuropsych testing to be helpful understanding some behavioral and learning issues.

Also, I just wanted to add that you can have seven different professionals see your child and get varying opinions on dx. There is no commonly used blood test for ADHD or OCD or autistic spectrum disorders or sensory issues....and unfortunately there are many symptoms that can overlap. My dd has been dx in each of these categories by different professionals at different stages of her life. Right now her dx is ADHD-inattentive and general anxiety. We are going with that for now and treating accordingly for now. She might present very different symptoms when she is a teenager as she did when she was 3. That's not easy to hear as a parent. The very first neurologist I tok dd to when she was 3 said that he couldn't dx her yet -- she was too young -- but it could be something attentional. I stormed out annoyed that I couldn't get a dx. She was given many labels by many professionals through the years and here we've come full circle back to attention.

Things aren't that clear cut. I'll give you an example. My daughter has a tendency for obsessive thoughts. I've read that some people with ADHD, because their minds wander and have trouble focusing, will worry/obsess because it is a way of organizing their thoughts and focusing on something. Every summer at camp my daughter would obsess all day if I was going to come pick her up. Everyday. No matter how much reassuring, I'd come in the afternoon and she would be crying because she was worried. This is the first year that she is happy, not worrying and not crying. Could she have just matured? Maybe. But this is also the first year that she is taking the ADHD med.

DrSally
07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
A psychologist can do testing and diagnose for ADHD. I would check through your school first. ADHD includes concentration as well as hyperactivity. Usually girls are underdiagnosed b/c they have more problems with concentration and not so much the noticable hyperactivity.

lizajane
07-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Just wanted to jump in and say that we did see a psychiatrist because we wanted to have the med option....however, he did not push meds in anyway. I went in knowing that it was something I wanted to explore because I felt that it was impacting my daughter horribly (self-esteem, boarderline depression, social issues) and was looking to quickly try to improve her situation. Do some psychiatrists push meds? I'd imagine some do. But it hasn't been my experience.

I should also say that we got a less official ADHD dx a year or two prior when we got dd neuropsych testing. Like I said,my daughter presents in some "fuzzy" ways and I've found neuropsych testing to be helpful understanding some behavioral and learning issues.

Also, I just wanted to add that you can have seven different professionals see your child and get varying opinions on dx. There is no commonly used blood test for ADHD or OCD or autistic spectrum disorders or sensory issues....and unfortunately there are many symptoms that can overlap. My dd has been dx in each of these categories by different professionals at different stages of her life. Right now her dx is ADHD-inattentive and general anxiety. We are going with that for now and treating accordingly for now. She might present very different symptoms when she is a teenager as she did when she was 3. That's not easy to hear as a parent. The very first neurologist I tok dd to when she was 3 said that he couldn't dx her yet -- she was too young -- but it could be something attentional. I stormed out annoyed that I couldn't get a dx. She was given many labels by many professionals through the years and here we've come full circle back to attention.

Things aren't that clear cut. I'll give you an example. My daughter has a tendency for obsessive thoughts. I've read that some people with ADHD, because their minds wander and have trouble focusing, will worry/obsess because it is a way of organizing their thoughts and focusing on something. Every summer at camp my daughter would obsess all day if I was going to come pick her up. Everyday. No matter how much reassuring, I'd come in the afternoon and she would be crying because she was worried. This is the first year that she is happy, not worrying and not crying. Could she have just matured? Maybe. But this is also the first year that she is taking the ADHD med.

excellent post and i agree with it!

wanted to add- the obsessive thoughts are not usually something so "real" as whether you are coming to pick her up. i think that she was indeed just worried, as is her anxious nature. obsessive thoughts would, in my experience and understanding, be something more like you were going to die on the way home and she would never see you again. worrying is VERY different from obsessive thoughts- which are totally illogical, absolutely consuming and completely isolating. not to mention shameful to the child. my son will tell us he is "thinking about something he doesn't want to think about and he can't stop thinking about, but he will NOT tell us (or his psych) what the thoughts are or what they are about. i say this to let you know i think you are lucky to maybe NOT have OCD, not to contradict you!!! definitely keep looking for signs, as you already are. best of luck! SO glad the meds are working!!!

pinkmomagain
07-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Thanks,Liza. I'd like to hope there is no OCD, but unfortunately there are bits of it in the family and I can't completely turn my back on it.

One thing to consider is that my dd would tell the teacher (at age 8 mind you...crying, everyday, despite reassurances, as her peers looked on) that she was worried that I wasn't going to come pick her up. That is what she *shared* with the outside world. I am willing to bet that underneath she was worried that something was going to happen to me...but didn't want to say it. When she was around age 5 she worried about finding someone to marry. To the point of being inconsolable (no logic there either). Often times, though, she refuses to share what she is worried about. She will say, "I have a bad thought in my mind and I can't get rid of it." She worries alot about her own health. She has deep beliefs in luck,and does have some little rituals relating -- some are apparent because I am very observent, but I'm sure she does things that I don't know about. There is also a bit of a hoarding element too.

There may come a time when your ds will share his worries with you and or the dr. He may worry that if he says what he is thinking then it may come true. Or maybe that's not it at all. In some ways, be grateful. My dd used to come to me with her thoughts, I would provide reassurance and that would just fuel the worries. We would go round and round in circles until I would go absolutely insane. Finally, a psychologist I was working with (the one who dx her with OCD) explained to me that I was not supposed to reassure her. I was to brush it off ("Oh, that's silly.") and then distract her. That technique really helped. But I really don't like "That's silly." I just read a phrase I like a little better, "Let's not worry about that now." I think it's more respectful. I use it now with dd when she comes to me with all her ailments. It really works!

Sorry I'm rambling! May all our kids find peace within themselves and the ability to reach their potential!!!

egoldber
07-17-2008, 04:09 PM
She will say, "I have a bad thought in my mind and I can't get rid of it."

Oh wow. Sarah says this to me all the time. :( I've been considering talking to someone about her anxiety and this may just push me over the edge. I just don't know what's "normal" and whats a problem.

lizajane
07-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Oh wow. Sarah says this to me all the time. :( I've been considering talking to someone about her anxiety and this may just push me over the edge. I just don't know what's "normal" and whats a problem.

IT CAN'T HURT TO ASK A PROFESSIONAL!!!

what you don't understand could mean something to a psycholgist. my son is VERY good at art but still draws pepople without arms. i never noticed. i never thought anything of it, he rarely draws people. but the psych explained that his drawing was very immature for his intelligence and revealed feelings of helplessness. think of how helpless you would be with no arms! it was very scary to me and another reason i was so glad we found someone to help!!!

lizajane
07-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks,Liza. I'd like to hope there is no OCD, but unfortunately there are bits of it in the family and I can't completely turn my back on it.

One thing to consider is that my dd would tell the teacher (at age 8 mind you...crying, everyday, despite reassurances, as her peers looked on) that she was worried that I wasn't going to come pick her up. That is what she *shared* with the outside world. I am willing to bet that underneath she was worried that something was going to happen to me...but didn't want to say it. When she was around age 5 she worried about finding someone to marry. To the point of being inconsolable (no logic there either). Often times, though, she refuses to share what she is worried about. She will say, "I have a bad thought in my mind and I can't get rid of it." She worries alot about her own health. She has deep beliefs in luck,and does have some little rituals relating -- some are apparent because I am very observent, but I'm sure she does things that I don't know about. There is also a bit of a hoarding element too.

There may come a time when your ds will share his worries with you and or the dr. He may worry that if he says what he is thinking then it may come true. Or maybe that's not it at all. In some ways, be grateful. My dd used to come to me with her thoughts, I would provide reassurance and that would just fuel the worries. We would go round and round in circles until I would go absolutely insane. Finally, a psychologist I was working with (the one who dx her with OCD) explained to me that I was not supposed to reassure her. I was to brush it off ("Oh, that's silly.") and then distract her. That technique really helped. But I really don't like "That's silly." I just read a phrase I like a little better, "Let's not worry about that now." I think it's more respectful. I use it now with dd when she comes to me with all her ailments. It really works!

Sorry I'm rambling! May all our kids find peace within themselves and the ability to reach their potential!!!

i see! much more serious that your first post indicated. i understand. and i also do NOT like "that's silly." it is NOT silly!! especially not to the kid! here is an idea from our psych- give the thoughts a name (let her name them) so that she can tell them to go away! like, go away green monster! i am too busy for you! i am going to ride my bike instead of thinking about you!" you can start to teach her this by telling her you will help her get rid of that ol' green monster and redirecting her yourself, then keep reminding her she can tell that ol' green monster to go away on her own whenever she wants. (of course, and that you will always be glad to tell it to go away, too, if she wants help.)

something that helped schuyler- DH taught him a "game" where he says, "do NOT think about a purple elephant." and then he asks what he is thinking about. and he laughs and says a purple elephant. and then he tells him NOT to think about a pink elephant. and the same thing happens. then DH asks him if he is still thinking about the purple elephant. and he is not, he has moved on to the pink one.

pinkmomagain
07-17-2008, 04:32 PM
I've been considering talking to someone about her anxiety and this may just push me over the edge. I just don't know what's "normal" and whats a problem.

It's probably worth mentioning to the ped or even a psychologist. There are plenty of people who adapt and get through life with anxiety/ocd/add...you name it....without professional help. It is truly a problem when it is seriously impacting their quality of life. Is she able to do all the "normal" things kids her age are doing? Does she do OK in school? Does she play well with peers? Is she able to separate? Does she sleep well? Eat well? These are some things to consider. I know with my dd, it was debilitating.

lizajane
07-17-2008, 10:03 PM
It's probably worth mentioning to the ped or even a psychologist. There are plenty of people who adapt and get through life with anxiety/ocd/add...you name it....without professional help. It is truly a problem when it is seriously impacting their quality of life. Is she able to do all the "normal" things kids her age are doing? Does she do OK in school? Does she play well with peers? Is she able to separate? Does she sleep well? Eat well? These are some things to consider. I know with my dd, it was debilitating.

yes yes yes, for example, my son was NOT doing ok in school (his teacher pulled me in) he was NOT playing well with his friends- he was crying over every little thing OR withdrawing completely way more often than his peers, he can't stand to separate when it will "be a long time" even though he can easily go to school/camp/etc most days, he has a very hard time going to sleep and he is VERY skinny and doesn't always focus well enough to eat.

ETA: schuyler also suddenly wanted to spend all his time at home. he begged to go home from the playground after school, he begs to go straight home after camp, he begs to stay home instead of going to the pool, etc, and he LOVES the pool.