PDA

View Full Version : Is there a good book about moving for a 5yo?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
07-17-2008, 12:09 AM
DD so far is doing all right with the idea of moving but I think we're on the edge. I figure it can go 2 ways. Either moving is a wonderfull thing and an adventure and how wonderful it will be to live in the same house with grandma. OR. It's the most horrible thing in the world to her. Major turning upside down of her world and leaving the only home she's ever known and how will she make friends,how will santa find me, I don't want to go.

Obviously I would personally opt for the first option but i've got a feeling we're starting to head down the anxiety laden road. Which would be par for the course with dd. So I'm wondering if anyone's had any experience with any books regarding moving for children. I saw several on amazon and just a few on the local librarys home page so I'm wondering if anyone knows if there might be one or two that stand above the rest for explaining moving and helping to validate her feelings.

I don't think she quite understands yet that everything is coming with us because from time to time she'll say that she'll miss something and I'll remind her that we're bringing it with us. I even told her we'd bring the ceiling fan in her bedroom if it would make her feel better. But she's still struggling.

Any suggestions?

lmintzer
07-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Only have a sec here, but I really like "Boomer's Big Day" (a moving day as seen through the eyes of the family's dog--goes through the stages of confusion, frustration, and then connection with new environment).

Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Boomers-Big-Day-Constance-McGeorge/dp/0811805263

egoldber
07-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I figure it can go 2 ways. Either moving is a wonderfull thing and an adventure and how wonderful it will be to live in the same house with grandma. OR. It's the most horrible thing in the world to her.

I think its probably both to her. I would work hard to respect and recognize that dichotomy with her.

And not to hijack, I'd love some book recs too, especially for older kids. We're considering moving in a few months and Sarah definitely tends to the anxious side of things and I'd like to be prepared. :) Books that talk about changing schools would be great too!

kedss
07-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi-

There is a Berenstain Bear book about moving:

http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/berenstainbears/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780394848389

and I know there is an older Sesame Street book about moving too, just can't remember the title.

I hope things get better-

greatcanuk
07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
There's a fairly recent thread on moving:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=293526&highlight=moving+books

kransden
07-17-2008, 10:47 AM
You're moving across town to be with grandma. I don't think you are going to many issues. She'll have the same school, mostly the same friends and the same family. The big thing dd wanted to know was 'where is my stuff?!'. I am sure your dd will have that same issue. Get her room ready at MIL's then have her fill a box or two to bring over there and put away. If you act positive, she'll think it is a fun adventure/game.