PDA

View Full Version : when do you go up a size in diapers?

tazzy
07-17-2008, 04:50 PM
just curious when everyone goes up a diaper size. My son, 7 months old, 21 lbs., seems to already be outgrowing his size 3 huggies natural fit diapers. they say they're 16 lbs to 26 lbs., but man...they're getting snug on his waist! I bought three big boxes of them to get that huggies rebate a while back, so I'm stuck for at least another month. but when do you guys go up? way before your child reaches the weight limit?

thanks!

linsei
07-17-2008, 07:35 PM
IME, they usually start leaking way before dc reaches the upper weight limit. It's usually just before he reaches the lower weight listed on the package of the next larger size.

As long as the messes are contained, I would not worry much about it. If they are not working, then maybe exchange/gift/donate.

edited for clarity

HIU8
07-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I never paid attention to the weight limits on the diaper boxes. Neither DS nor DD really ever wore the size for their weight. I also rarely used huggies (just the overnights) b/c I like the tabs on the side of the pampers better (easier for me to handle on a squirming baby). Having said that, when the diaper got snug, I would go up a size. DS is very long torsoed, so he would outgrow the diapers b/c I could not get them to cover him well and they would leak. DD outgrows b/c of her big midsection and thighs. She is 13 months, 25 lbs, and has been in a size 5 since about 9 months old.

rbsmom
07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I agree - ignore the weight chart & go by length. My DD is 17months & has also been in a size 5 forever now - they still fit her ok. She's just about 25 lbs now.

Fit based on where the diaper fits on the back/butt. If it's even getting remotely close to the "crack" in the butt, go to the next size. I like it to fit closer to the waist in the back - keeps from having those "blowout" accidents.

dewfish
08-01-2008, 08:41 AM
I usually know it's time to switch when I start having leaks. My daughter runs pretty true to size on the Target diapers, but it probably has more to do with her shape than her weight.

tazzy
08-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all the info. I'm down to a half box of the size 3 diapers, so just another 40 to go and I can upsize to the 4's.

I've liked the Huggies because they don't smell perfumey like the Pampers did. But what are some other brands to try that might be better? My son is squirmy and it is hard sometimes to get those tabs straight on the diaper.

pastrygirl
08-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I go up after two or three leaks. That's always been a good indicator for me. :) My son moved up about 7 pounds before the next size's minimum.

mamaoftwins
08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
I go up after two or three leaks. That's always been a good indicator for me.

Yep, us, too. We just went into sz4s (22-37lbs) and the guys are a few pounds below the weight minimum of those, but we've had a couple of leaks with the sz3's lately, all at night, when the diaper is really pee-filled.