PDA

View Full Version : Casement window safety

o_mom
07-17-2008, 04:51 PM
I know this should be in baby proofing, but the traffic there is light. :)

Anyone have casement windows? How do you childproof?

Just moved and the previous home was all double hung. The windows were tight and could barely be opened by an adult so we never had to do anything to them. Now we have all casement windows. I was going to just remove the handles, but found that if I remove the handle, the "cover" over the gear mechanism also comes off. Not something we want exposed.

So, is there something out there to either make the crank non-functional without the other part coming off or limit the amount the window can open. Preferably with minimal damage to the wood.

Thanks!

Neatfreak
07-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Hmm. Maybe baby-proofing by the previous owners was the reason why all of our casement windows were caulked shut!

All of the casement windows I've had experience with also had a lock feature, about halfway up the window. Are yours like that?

o_mom
07-17-2008, 05:30 PM
Hmm. Maybe baby-proofing by the previous owners was the reason why all of our casement windows were caulked shut!

All of the casement windows I've had experience with also had a lock feature, about halfway up the window. Are yours like that?

Yes, but it is just a lever that they could easily flip up to open them. Kind of like these:

http://www.bergersonwindow.com/Hardware%20csmt%20latch%20wood%20windows.JPG

Piglet
07-17-2008, 05:33 PM
We have all casement windows in our house, but the kids never really play with them. They tried a few times and then they got bored - it's just not that interesting, LOL. I did remove the crank, since the blinds wouldn't close properly with the crank in place. We also had screens behind the glass and the house was a 1-story, so I didn't worry too much even if they did get the window open. The only thing I can think of is to see if you can screw down the "cover" and remove the crank.

o_mom
07-17-2008, 05:47 PM
If it were all one story, it wouldn't be an issue :) I'm mainly looking at the second story. For the first floor ones I can replace with the low-profile cranks which are less tempting to hang on. Espeically for the ones that are right in high traffic areas just begging to be broken, LOL.

I wonder if a door chain would work? - limit the opening and if I put it up high they wouldn't be able to reach without a really tall tower of stuff.

DrSally
07-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Good question. Our new house has them and I don't know what to do either.

ETA: Our 2nd story is really high as well, and I don't trust window screens. I'm a big believer in babyproofing windows, eventhough I've been laughed at IRL. I hope this thread comes up with some good ideas.