PDA

View Full Version : Do You Wear An Apron?

Wife_and_mommy
07-18-2008, 08:55 AM
And if so, do you find it demeaning?

My IL's are visiting and my MIL's feminist sensibilities are offended that I wear an apron.:ROTFLMAO: I don't attach any feelings to it because I'm simply trying to keep my clothes clean. :rolleye0014:

Do you or your mothers wear an apron?

elizabethkott
07-18-2008, 09:05 AM
I will if I'm doing something really messy, like baking with a lot of flour, or when I do ribs (YUM!).
I think it's a thing of function, not necessarily the physical embodiment of the unequal treatment of women. But that's just IMHO.
Can you tell her that the only reason your husband has released you from your iron shackles normally tethered to the stove is because you promised you would wear the apron instead?
:bouncy:

MontrealMum
07-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Yes, I do - both at home and when I cooked for Meals-on-Wheels. The other two Meals-on-Wheels cooks were men, and they wore aprons too. However, none of us were wearing 50's lace KWIM? I find that my strong feminist sensibilities are not offended in the least by my desire to preserve my clothing. You can tell your MIL that your pocketbook or budget find it demeaning to replace all your ruined clothes ;)

My mother doesn't cook, but will occasionally wear aprons when in the kitchen heating things up or opening things (like tuna - which might splatter). And both grandmothers always wore aprons or housedresses - but that's a whole 'nother can of worms there, because they were 50's housewives.

lmwbasye
07-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Um....nope. But I don't cook either. My mom doesn't cook, so she's a definite no. My dad could open his own restaurant if he wanted and he often does...he's an amazing cook. My MIL...religiously!

egoldber
07-18-2008, 09:12 AM
I do when I'm cooking and am in nicer clothes (like on Thanksgiving Day) or am making something very messy. Otherwise no.

But there's the whole retro apron thing that's making a big comeback, so wearing an apron is very hip. ;)

Clarity
07-18-2008, 09:20 AM
I don't but only because I don't own an apron. I'm thinking it doesn't sound like such a bad idea though. The last time I made strawberry shortcake I was a mess! LOL

ThreeofUs
07-18-2008, 09:31 AM
I *definitely* wear an apron when I'm doing a lot of cooking and don't want my clothes to get dirty. I also wear one when I'm outside cooking for a crowd, to keep splatters/dirt off and to ensure I have all my tools at my fingertips when I need them.

My aprons tend to be chef's aprons, though, long and functional - not small or frilly. I can't imagine feeling demeaned by wearing such a thing.

hillview
07-18-2008, 09:33 AM
I don't wear one but my mom wears one basically all day. It keeps her clothes clean.
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
07-18-2008, 09:38 AM
No, but I should because I constantly wipe my hands on my clothes when cooking (usually flour when I am baking). I also wouldn't have to worry about spills. They make practical sense. Mostly I just wear bummy clothes when I am hanging out at home (still look good but I don't really care about them).

Beth

Happy 2B mommy
07-18-2008, 09:39 AM
If I'm wearing something nice while cooking, like for a party or holiday cooking, I always wear one. Or if I'm doing something messy. My mother, who was a housewife in the 60's and 70's NEVER wore one.

Considering I don't use aprons a lot, I seem to have a lot of them. I've picked up some great vintage ones at garage sales and some 'Day of the Dead' ones from Mexico. They are all the big, bib aprons that actually protect my clothing.

Pennylane
07-18-2008, 09:45 AM
I don't, but just because I don't have one! I don't think it is demeaning at all, especially since I see as many men wear them as women.

Ann

lowrioh
07-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I do when I'm doing a lot of cooking or when it is particularly messy. I also wear a lab coat all day at work and tend to wipe my hands, glassware, spatulas etc on it which is a really bad habit.
I don't see any practical difference between wearing an apron and wearing a lab coat. The perform exactly the same purpose and I bet you MIL would never call wearing a lab coat demeaning.

ellies mom
07-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I don't because I just don't. But my husband can't cook without one.

kijip
07-18-2008, 10:23 AM
I have never, ever seen my mother in an apron. But that has more to do with the fact that I have never, ever seen her cook more than an egg or zapping something in the microwave than her feminist sensibilities. :) I may have ONCE seen her ice a cake. Maybe.

My father, who does cook all.the.time wears one, especially for messy stuff.

I don't wear one often, but I am a pretty neat cook...never noticed my clothes getting ruined. I do most of the cooking here and with or without an apron, I am not bugging my feminism in the least. I do own one and wear it, mostly when doing a project with T. T wears an apron a lot...to be like grandpa. My husband rarely, if ever, wears in apron, but he never cooks in more than jeans and a t-shirt.

KrisM
07-18-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't because there is no good place to keep it in our kitchen. I'd love to find a place for it to hang so I could have easy access to it and then I'd wear it often. Definitely when cooking/baking with the kids! DD and I just made cookies and I have flour all over me now.

rebeccaravit
07-18-2008, 11:47 AM
I usually wear one when I am cooking with sauce or doing any frying to avoid getting the splatters on my clothing. DH sometimes wears one when he's using the grill.

KBecks
07-18-2008, 01:58 PM
If I were smart, I'd wear an apron more. I have a cool one that's like Guatemalan fabric that's really pretty. I usually don't wear it though, but I should!!!

kboyle
07-18-2008, 02:39 PM
i'm a messy cook and am always wiping mess on my shirt or pants. i need to invest in an apron.

i never even thought it to be demeaning.

septmama2b
07-18-2008, 02:49 PM
I have a serious apron collection, I love to cook, and I am a messy one. I got tired of ruining clothing with the occasional stain. I've never considered the feminist sensibilities of wearing an apron. I just thought it was practical, and most of mine are really cute, and I am a feminist.

lisams
07-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Funny you should ask - I just got my first real apron and love wearing it! I got it from this Etsy seller http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=100812 she sells really cute, hip aprons. I love it - I don't feel so worried about getting messy and it kind of inspires me to do more in the kitchen.

catpagmo
07-18-2008, 03:59 PM
The only time I wear an apron is when DD and I are baking, which isn't very often. Maybe 6 times a year. DD has a cute little one, too. I don't find it demeaning at all. It actually makes me feel a little better at baking, like if I look like I know what I'm doing, then I must! :)

mom2chloe
07-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Funny you should ask - I just got my first real apron and love wearing it! I got it from this Etsy seller http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=100812 she sells really cute, hip aprons. I love it - I don't feel so worried about getting messy and it kind of inspires me to do more in the kitchen.

OMG, all I could think when I read this was, "HAVE YOU SEE THE WAY COOL APRONS ON ETSY?!?!?!?!" I've been drooling over several.. so, the answer is no, I don't, but I wish I had one and I just can't seem to commit to the perfect one... but maybe I'll sort through the ones in my favorites now... hmmmmm

p.s. I am thinking they're kinda cute/sexy in addition to being functional... not demeaning at all...

elephantmeg
07-18-2008, 08:34 PM
I wear a smock type apron that really covers-otherwise I am covered in everything! I am such a messy cook-a good cook but MESSY (although somewhat better than I was).

Kungjo
07-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Yep. Both my husband and I wear aprons when we cook. I don;t think anything of it. Just trying to keep my clothes clean and grease splatter free.

MelissaTC
07-19-2008, 03:31 PM
I almost always wear an apron. I love to cook but unfortunately, I make a mess of my clothes whenever I do.

hellokitty
07-19-2008, 03:55 PM
My mom always wears one, but she cooks up a storm almost every day. For me, I will if it's something really messy. However, on a day to day basis I am too lazy and quite honestly I really SHOULD wear an apron, b/c now I have a bunch of shirts with little spots of oil that must have gotten on me when I was cooking over the stove. Those spots are a total PITA to get rid of. I guess I should go dig out my aprons and start using them more often. I also tend to get water sprayed on me when I do the dishes (I'm short), so an apron would be helpful.